1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Roster cuts next week

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by 45souf, Aug 21, 2013.

1. Antec

Antec Member

What game have you been watching?
    Wood did good against 2/3 team-ers who wont even make a NFL team.

Not sure if serious.

2. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

And Karim has a 3 ypc career average (playing against mostly starters). 2.1 ypc the last year he actually played RB. On a team with a good running game.

I like Karim. I think he played pretty well in the preseason. But IMO, the only reason to keep Karim over Wood is if we're going to use him as a kick returner which he's been pretty good at in his career. He only returned 2 kicks in the preseason so it's hard to tell if that's what the Texans have in mind or not.

3. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I'm going to say it over and over again, until I find out what happens....it'd be a mistake to keep Karim over Wood.

Wood has some Arian Foster in him.

4. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Yeah, we should just cut all our 2/3 teamers while we're at it, since they only played against other 2/3 teamers during the preseason.

5. Nimo

Nimo Member

Sportsradio 610 is reporting that Dennis Johnson and Chris Jones have been cut.

6. Two Sandwiches

I'm thinking both are headed to the practice squad.

7. Nimo

Nimo Member

Not if Cierre Woods clears waivers.

8. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Why not? You're allowed to keep 8. Stephen McGee lasted the whole season, it's not like the bar it THAT high. They kept 2 QBs in McGee and Keenum last year. Why not 2 RBs? How many practice squad eligible players do we anticipate being cut that we'd kind of like to old on to?

9. DorianTurk

DorianTurk Member

Cierre Wood, Justin Tuggle, and Willie Jefferson are making the 53 man roster according what I've read on their twitters

10. htown1984

htown1984 Member

And Aj Bouye (Also on his twitter)

11. Two Sandwiches

That would be great (Bouye too). Only one I'd argue somewhat with would be Tuggle (presumably) over Braman.

12. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

I can't see anyway Braman doesn't make it. He is a special team’s ace and even showed some decent pass rushing skills this preseason. I don't think Dobbins will make the team. He didn't show up to OTAs and offers little outside of special teams. As such, they might gamble with only having 3 "true" inside linebackers in Cushing, Mays, and Sharpton. All 3 of them are coming off season ending injuries so it’s a risk but I think worst case you can see Brooks Reed move inside and Tuggle even played inside last night.

13. Nimo

Nimo Member

Sounds more like Travardo and/or Montgomery are either getting cut or going on IR.

If Woods makes the active roster, does that mean Karim gets cut? Or do they dare keep 4 RBs on the active roster?

14. Two Sandwiches

I'd say Dobbins is a good backup, and pretty valuable. I feel as if Braman has had a decent preseason. He's done nothing to elevate himself, though, but I think he should still make the team. Maybe Williams or Montgomery to IR? Williams did come down with some injuries last night...

15. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

Braman is easily the best ST's player more than enough reason to keep him

16. Ericstocracy

Ericstocracy Member

lol

All this talk about keeping Braman is hilarious. The dude is a good special teams player but he isn't a game changer. ST's play wouldn't be any worse without him out there. He's been here 3 years and has given you nothing at his actual position.

Here is why he'll be cut:

Can't break off Tackles/Guards
    Can't contain the backside
    Has no pass rush ability
    No instincts as to weather play the Run or Pass

He is a 1 trick pony. You have younger players that have contributed more this preseason than he has his entirety of being a Texan except for a loan couple highlight tackles/1 blocked kick. I want to keep the guys who have more ability now and a much higher ceiling.

I don't dislike the guy, but there are far better players to keep than him.

I also wouldn't care if they cut Dobbins. He hasn't shown anything more than our UDFA's have.

17. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

You must not remember Dobs stoppage of Ray Rice at the goal line. I think he makes it for short yardage situations

18. Ericstocracy

Ericstocracy Member

No, I remember. Dobbins is a good down hill run stopper. I won't knock him on that. Every other aspect of his game? Not so good.

We've got Joe Mays as our down hill guy this season. He's far better at it as well. He can contribute on ST's just as well too. I think Justin Tuggle's move to ILB is the writing on the wall for Dobbins. I think the Texans are holding onto hope that Sharpton will finally prove to them why he was drafted. He's got all the talent, but none of the health.

1 person likes this.
  19. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Good point about Mays. I am a keen eye on game day in regards to what goes on in the trenches. Mays met the Saints full back in the hole in the first quarter that left the FB on his rear end. The collision was jaw dropping.

Sharpton may very well be Bennie jopru defensively. I'm not to high on Tuggle as most.

20. Fantasma Negro

Eat that, I told yall Deji Karim sucked