1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Has anyone here ever been to Iran?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ScolaIsBallin, Jul 24, 2013.

Tags:
  1. ScolaIsBallin

ScolaIsBallin Member

Just wondering. If you have what was it like and what were the favorite things you saw/did?

2. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

I have not, but I'd love to.

Are you Iranian?

3. ScolaIsBallin

ScolaIsBallin Member

No, I'm not. I just wanna go there as well. The culture is very interesting.

4. chrispbrown

chrispbrown Member

NSANSANSANSANSANSANSA

5. dmc89

dmc89 Member

I've visited twice. I preferred the countryside over the major cities. My favorite part was just strolling the region near the Caspian Sea. Its beauty was marvelous, and the country in general has this sense of ancient grandeur which I've only experienced in parts of Greece, Italy, China, and Egypt. Isfahan, Shiraz, and Yazd were a few highlights of my trip.

I recommend splitting your trip into the NW part first and then the SE part. The contrast between the two is remarkable. It'll be like Oregon and Idaho versus Arizona and West Texas. You need to see both. The people were very friendly and hospitable.

If you appreciate history, architecture, and traveling to places other than the usual suspects like Western Europe or the Caribbean, visit Iran.

6. val_modus

val_modus Member

Very well said my friend. I am from Iran myself (Tehran) so I can pretty much say that you hit the nail on the head. If you want to see the good Iran, definitely visit the country side and the mountain regions in the NE. Go to Tehran or Kermon and you'll see riots in the streets, horrid pollution visible in the skyline, and some of the worst traffic you've ever seen. That being said, Iranian people are some of the most hospitable people I have ever met, the educated ones at least.

7. da_juice

da_juice Member

I hear good things from those that have, Ive nnever been. Ive also heard that despite the tension between us and them, most people there are relative open and friendly to westerners, just dont ttalk politics.

Dont even think of driving yourself, its nuts. Remember that alcohol is illegal, and dont shake hands with women. Also, if youve been to israel get a seperate passport or you wont be aa allowed in.

8. Classic

Classic Member

sounds pretty amazing

serious question, how would white american's fare traversing the countryside of Iran?

9. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Tehran, Cleaveland, it's all the same.

#9 Kam, Jul 24, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2013
  10. CCorn

CCorn Member

It's sort of like Cleveland, but has a better night life. Fireworks all the time!

11. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

Can one travel to Iran on a US passport?

12. da_juice

da_juice Member

Yes, unless you're a dual national of Iran, in which case you must present your Iranian passport (Brasil requires the same thing).

I forgot to mention, you need a visa to visit. Americans can't get the seven day one, so you have to go through the Pakistani embassy (since the Islamic Revolution, we closed our embassies there, and vice versa. If you're in Iran and you need consular services, I believe you go through the Swiss embassy).

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1142.html#entry_requirements

13. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Just don't have an Israeli stamp in you passport.

14. LoneStarDawg

LoneStarDawg Member

15. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

^
    This would be funny if it wasn't true

16. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Seems like a lot of hassle, the average American would probably be better off taking a Carnival Cruise to Mexico and call it a day.

17. Pete Chilcutt

Pete Chilcutt Contributing Member

I have been twice.

Definitely go to Shiraz and visit Perspolis. The history is amazing to see.

Kish Island is also very nice tropical destination. Clear Blue waters and nice sand as well.

Tehran I agree is full of traffic and pollution, but I still liked it there as well, especially mountainside.

18. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I don't even know where to start with this statement.

19. ivenovember

ivenovember Member

Start by booking your trip at Carnival.com!

20. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I have been on a cruise. I am more of the type of person that likes to do something different every time on vacation. I guess there are a lot of people out there that like to eat out at the same place all the time or go to the same bar every night etc. But I think it is good to change things up to at least an extent.

I'm sure there are people that go to Vegas every year once and are content. But I have been twice and am good for life. Only reason I would go back there over perhaps checking out Macau would be for a bachelor party or wedding that I was invited to.