1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets have been offered a 1st round pick for Thomas Robinson (UPDATE: So much for "imminent")

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by redhotrox, Jun 21, 2013.

1. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

OK, Mr. Robinson is NOT Mrs. Robinson, and he's also not from a foreign country on any continent not called North America, so can anyone tell me of a good rumor, or lead, or tidbit from somewhere regarding what might happen to our own Thomas Robinson?

Anyone? Any info worth sharing that's on topic? I think the "fun" derail has run its course, don't you?

2. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

If the Spurs manage to trade for him and turn him into a stud, **** is gonna get real around here...

3. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

If the poor guy ever gets minutes and a good coach he likely will be. I mean he was a rookie thrown into a dysfunctional team and then traded to another team hell bent on making the playoffs and essentially benched along with the other young PFs. All in his rookie season.

Wherever he goes he will probably have success. It's only his salary versus Jones and DMos that's seeing him out the door.

4. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

No matter what, it will bring out the Morey haters.

If he fails - "See, T-Rob was a joke. Morey should have never traded for him."

If he succeeds - "See, Morey has no idea what he's doing. Buys high and sells low. Moreyball fail!!!"

1 person likes this.
  5. Mirri3000

Mirri3000 Member

We bought low, and got into the playoffs because of the trade. It was a success, and we will get a player for the future with it. Win no matter if he blossoms.

6. Raven

Raven Member

It's a calculated gamble to clear cap for Dwight, and every GM in the league would make the same decision.

7. smr6

smr6 Member

Exactly. I highly doubt that Patterson, Douglas, or Aldrich would of been nearly as much help in the series against the Thunder as Garcia was alone.

8. HamJam

HamJam Contributing Member

Him and Kawhi Leonard as the two forwards of the future would be very solid for the Spurs, and would, seemingly, be a Dioscuri of Morey mistakes just up the road haunting us for the next decade.

However, while I think Robinson will be a good player if given the right opportunity, trading him away should never be considered a mistake if it is necessary in order to get Dwight (which it is) -- no matter how good Robinson eventually becomes. Further, trading for Robinson was a good trade too -- Garcia, from that trade, was key to the playoff series and the team is going to find it much easier to get a future asset and shed Robinson's contract than they would have with Patterson's.

Leonard however...no matter how good Parson's gets (because think how good we could be with both of them), I will always put passing on Kawhi (who seemed to perfectly suit our team needs at the time) in the negative column for Morey. Lucky for Morey and for us though, he has a lot more things in the positive column

9. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

So I switched to 610 on a commercial break this morning and Nick was showcasing his lack of sports knowledge.

He starts off by saying that Feigan doesn't know what he's talking about (respectfully of course :rolleyes:). Feigan had said last night that the T Rob trade was not a failure bc he will be easier to dump. Nick makes a point that if the deal never went down, the Rockets would already be closer to signing Dwight outright. This obviously isn't true since Patterson is owed 3.1 M this coming season. John Lopez who watches the Spurs more agreed with him. People fail to realize that T Rob is Dwight Howard casualty. He would be on the roster heading into the upcoming season without a doubt if circumstances were different.

They didn't even mention that Garcia ended up being the biggest contributor in the trade.

Long story short, having a nasally voice is all you need to do sports radio.

#669 sammy, Jun 26, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2013
  10. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

I don't have any problems with the trade, but I don't know how you can say we got into the playoffs because of the trade. TRob and Garcia were playing very few minutes and were contributing very little the final weeks of the season. Garcia starting getting some minutes in April, and did a pretty good job, but I don't think his contributions were anything more than what PPat could given the team.

Garcia did play well during the playoffs, but that was after we made the playoffs. TRob in my opinion didn't really contribute anything after we acquired him. Once again, I don't have a problem with the trade, but I don't think it really helped us make the playoffs.

11. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

What's with all the Spurs-TRob stuff?

I'm sure Morey will have other takers for Thomas Robinson than a division rival whose talent never seems to fall away.

I scoured through the last two pages and other than a bleacher-report-y non-confirmed potential 3-way swap involving Cleveland, I see no indication that San Antonio will be the team that gets TRob.

So let's adjust our tighty-whiteys and take a deep breath. San Antonio would have to be our last option.

12. Sen89

Sen89 Member

I actually like Parsons more. I wanted Leonard badly at the draft, and I was the first to say that the Marcus Morris pick was horrible, but Parsons' emergence has made it bearable. There were plenty of other talents we could've grabbed at #14 though (Faried, Vucevic, Shump).

Parsons is older, but his ball-skills are far superior to Kawhi's. Defensively, Kawhi is better, but I like Parsons' all-around game more. Leonard, while very good for his age, has gotten to be overrated in SA's playoff run. He's a very good role player who will likely only become a great role player due to his lack of fluidity for his position.

13. megastahr

megastahr Contributing Member

i just tweeted that wackjob

14. clos4life

clos4life Member

That's your problem right there.

15. JD88

JD88 Member

Any word on which team is looking to snag TRob? All I saw earlier was an argument about Africa.

16. Mirri3000

Mirri3000 Member

Toney Douglas' departure gave way for Patrick Beverley to emerge. Also, it let Delfino play more minutes, and that helped tremendously. I'm actually a Patterson supporter and wished he was still here, but we got to the playoffs with that trade, no guarantee we get there w/o it, and Bev definitely doesn't emerge w/o it.

17. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

I'll take Leonard over Parsons all day and I love Parsons.

18. Mirri3000

Mirri3000 Member

Side note, getting Mirotic back from Chicago would be the penultimate trade for Robinson, though they won't do it, one can hope.

19. HamJam

HamJam Contributing Member

Just to clarify, liking Parsons as much or more than Kawhi does not justify missing on him in the draft. Kawhi can play the 2 or the 3, and in the era of small ball, often plays the four. Parsons also often plays the four, and, in the process of guarding the other teams best perimeter scorer, often guards point guards and shooting guards. With Parson's and Harden's ability to bring the ball up the court, Kawhi could have backed up Parsons and Harden and played along side them in both small and big lineups.

Personally I like Kawhi more, but I think both are great and it is a very close call. Point though is that passing on Kawhi was a mistake despite how great drafting Parsons was, because they could coexist.

20. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

I agree I like Leonard a lot as a player, but he is getting overrated. He is a great defensive role player who can also score points. His handles are not good enough for him to be anything more. He will never be the focal point of an attack.

Parsons all around game makes him a bit better than Leonard. Offensivly he is the much better player, since he can creat for himself and for others. You can run a offense through him.

1 person likes this.