1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

teacher fired over ex-husbands threatening actions

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by DFWRocket, Jun 13, 2013.

1. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

cliff notes version - A private School teachers abusive ex-husband, who has a past with the cops, started showing up on campus causing a lock-down. The school, scared for the safety of the students/teachers say they had to let the teacher go for the good of the school.

Personally - I think they were probably more afraid of the parental backlash if something happened at the school.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/teacher-fired-domestic-violence-ex-husband-161455153.html

An elementary school teacher fired by a private San Diego-area school following a domestic violence incident involving her ex-husband is speaking out about her ordeal.
    Carie Charlesworth, who taught second grade at Holy Trinity School in El Cajon, Calif., told the San Diego NBC affiliate that the incident with her ex-husband occurred back in January.
    “Basically, we’d had a very bad weekend with him," Charlesworth, a mother of four, said. “We'd called the Sheriff’s Department three times on [that] Sunday."
    The following morning, Charlesworth said, she informed the school of the incident and told the principal to be on the lookout for her ex-husband. When he was spotted in the parking lot, the school went into lockdown.
    Charlesworth was put on indefinite leave, and her children, who also attended Holy Trinity, were removed by the school.
    "At this time, Mrs. Charlesworth and her children are on an indefinite leave of absence," Francie Wright, Holy Trinity's principal, wrote in a letter to parents on Jan. 29. "We request that you keep them in your prayers."
    “It felt like the kids and I were being punished for something we didn’t even do,” Charlesworth told NBC 7.
    Her ex-husband was subsequently sent to prison, but in April, the school fired her anyway.

The Diocese of San Diego wrote in a letter to Charlesworth that it was concerned about her ex-husband's "threatening and menacing behavior."
    The letter noted, "We feel deeply for you and about the situation in which you and your children find yourselves through no fault of your own. Although we understand he is currently incarcerated, we have no way of knowing how long or short a time he will actually serve and we understand from court files that he may be released as early as next fall. In the interest of the safety of the students, faculty and parents at Holy Trinity School, we simply cannot allow you to return to work there, or, unfortunately, at any other school in the Diocese."
    Kenneth Hoyt, Charlesworth's attorney, said she intends to sue.
    "They’ve taken away my ability to care for my kids,” Charlesworth said. “It’s not like I can go out and find a teaching job anywhere.”
    Not surprisingly, advocates for domestic violence victims are outraged.
    "We have 1 in 3 women in the United States who are victims of domestic violence," Heather Finlay, chief executive of YWCA San Diego, told NBC 7. "Firing all of them is not the answer."

2. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Doesn't seem right. The school should have their employees back.

3. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

Agreed.

4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

What should they have done?

She remains employed. Her husband is a danger to her, the kids and the school.
    The only thing they could have done with that was BEG the cops to do their jobs or something.

It would be cold comfort to say the school had the teachers back . . . if her husband came up and killed a few kids.

Rocket River
    I'm not saying they should have fired her but it seems there needs to be more options made available. and I understand their position

5. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

They should have been as active as it took in getting law enforcement to do their jobs. They should have reviewed and/or improved when, where and when visitors gain access to the campus in order to make it more secure. That's the kind of thing that will get teachers to go above and beyond for the school and their administration.

6. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

7. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

What was her severence pay like? If it's a month or less, I'm outraged. If it's 6 months or more, okay. ;)

Honestly, though, that's really dumb. Schools these days (especially the private ones) should have strong enough security that a known threat like this ex-husband doesn't get past the front gate. If they have confidence in their security, they don't need to remove the teacher and her kids. That they do remove them is tantamount to telling the families at that school that the campus is unsafe. Maybe that guy won't come round anymore, but any other disaffected parent or student or passerby can probably come in and kill a classroom full of kids because the administration knows their security is not to be relied upon.

If I was a parent at that school, I think this would greatly undermine my confidence in the administration. They persecute teachers and children for being victims and can't secure their own campus. That doesn't sound like a place I want to send my kids.

8. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I understand and can agree

Rocket River