1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ANYONE OF ASIAN ANCESTRY] A girl I went to high school with has lymphoma

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by robbie380, May 21, 2013.

1. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I figured I would share this on Clutchfans because there are a lot of people of Asian ancestry here. If you can help or feel like spreading this so that maybe it will get to someone who can help then that would be great. All of her contact info is in the link below as well.

http://www.savenina.com/

From the link above...

NINA HAS 2 MONTHS TO FIND A BONE MARROW DONOR
    SAVE NINA

Nina means everything to the people who know her. She is married to the love of her life, and their two year old son, Donovan, utterly adores his mama. Nina has a smile that lights up a room and a heart as big as Texas, where she grew up. Her family and friends love her immensely and can't wait for her to find a match. Let’s help Nina find a bone marrow donor so that she can get better and stop spending so much time in the hospital!

Nina was diagnosed with diffuse large B-cell lymphoma in September of 2012. She endured 7 rounds of aggressive chemotherapy at UCLA to treat the disease, but after only two months of remission, the lymphoma recurred in her brain. Nina is currently undergoing continued chemotherapy to control the disease, but the aggressiveness of the disease requires an urgent stem cell transplant. Because of her Asian heritage, finding a match has been very challenging. We, who love her more than anything, are asking you to please join the bone marrow registry by either getting typed with a home typing kit, or by getting typed in person at a local drive in LA or SF, especially if you are of Asian heritage. The process to find out if you are a match is very simple! Just order a kit, swab your cheek, and send the swab back in.

With just a few minutes of your time, you can find out if you are eligible in saving not just Nina but anyone suffering from blood cancers or other related diseases. Please label the kit “VINIYA” in the promo code section to help expedite the typing. Thank you for helping to save Nina!

[​IMG]

2. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

Good luck with the search. I'm on the marrow donor list although I've never been called (thank god...I hear it's painful as hell, but I would do it:(). My father has cancer atm and there are a lot of feelings/emotions people go through once the reality of disease sets in. It's a b!tch...gotta support her the best you can...you never know if this will be the last few months you get to enjoy her presence.

2 people like this.
  3. Cowboy_Bebop

Cowboy_Bebop Member

It's sad but I think it's a good time for her or friends to get into twitter and hopefully have it pass on to more popular person like Justin Bieber and hopefully they will pass it on.

1 person likes this.
  4. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

They have started to spread the word, so I am just continuing it.

5. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Mad respeck man, and yes it is one of the most painful things ever from what I've heard.

1 person likes this.
  6. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I've done the cheek swab thing, but it seems that I'm not as rare as I think.

1 person likes this.
  7. So Good

So Good Member

I've done the same. A friend asked me to sign up because her friend was dying of cancer...it's awful. I've had a cousin who passed away from cancer at the age of 24. Prayers go out.

1 person likes this.
  8. TheRedRanger

TheRedRanger Member

I've been told that if you've broke your hip before that you can't be a bone marrow donor. Is that true?

1 person likes this.
  9. Cokebabies

Cokebabies Contributing Member

Signed up for the test kit. I hope I end up being a match so I can save this girl's life.

1 person likes this.
  10. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Thanks for the help! Even if you aren't a match for her you might be a match for someone else who needs help.

11. jocar

jocar Member

Ordered a kit. I checked online and found that there is a donor location on Fannin, so anyone with a match probably wouldn't have to travel too far

1 person likes this.
  12. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

You should tweet this to JLin and ask him to retweet. I bet some Asians follow his twitter.

1 person likes this.
  13. Rio224

Rio224 Member

I ordered a kit :)

14. Rio224

Rio224 Member

hey i ordered the kit, but i didn't see any promo section to put in for nina....so will they just try to match me with anyone?

1 person likes this.
  15. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Large B cell lymphoma. That's what my dad is going through right now. It is tough. Having to get a bone marrow transplant is a really tough break. I'm not Asian, but I'll put this on my Facebook in case someone can be of assistance.

1 person likes this.
  16. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Repped for being a man.

However, according to Marrow.org it does not hurt at all.

"Marrow donation is a surgical outpatient procedure that takes place at a hospital. You will receive anesthesia and feel no pain during the donation. Doctors use a needle to withdraw liquid marrow from the back of your pelvic bone. The marrow replaces itself completely within 4 to 6 weeks. "

I wish I could help this lady but I'm the whitest person I know (according to 23andMe.com). I will join the match registry and see what type I have. Thanks to the OP for bringing this up.

#16 Xerobull, May 22, 2013
    Last edited: May 22, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  17. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I'll find out and thanks to everyone for helping. I believe this typing will be oriented towards Nina because of the "VINIYA" code that you write in the promo section. That is her given first name if I remember right.

18. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I sent him a tweet. Maybe he will see it.

19. VanityHalfBlack

20. Mack

Mack Contributing Member

I'm Asian and have been on the list for at least 4 years. Never been called in.