1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Video] Kevin McHale after Houston's 118-110 loss to Denver 1/30/2013

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jan 31, 2013.

1. Sports2012

Sports2012 Member

McHale and staffs are still going through a trial-and-error learning process as a head coach. The pity is that out team is paying their tuition in losses and delayed development of the players.

2. Sports2012

Sports2012 Member

Did you mean Harden should always have the GREEN light?

3. Rockets590

Rockets590 Rookie

I agree that was really stupid

4. Sports2012

Sports2012 Member

No good PG will want to play for McHale, knowing their talents would be suppressed, let alone fully utilized and developed.

5. Sports2012

Sports2012 Member

When McHale replaced Asik with Delfino at 10:41 of Q4, did he want the 6'6" Delfino to play the center and continue to control the board and the paint? When both the 6'10 Gallinari and the 6'8 Faried were back on court?

Of course the poor players would get confused and miss assignments, because this change upset the assignments they got earlier.

I'd bet the players had nothing but blankness in their mind in the subsequent minutes, and that would be a more logical reason why the Nuggets were allowed to achieve an 8-0 run immediately after a previous 9-1 run.

6. Sports2012

Sports2012 Member

At least three so our record should be 28-20, instead of 25-23.

Please read my post #139 in this thread for more details.

7. Sports2012

Sports2012 Member

Not taking both Harden and Lin out and leaving Douglas alone to run the show against the Nuggets which we all know is better than our young and inexperienced team.

McHale could have brought Lin back earlier to rest Harden. There is no excuse for not doing so.

8. Sports2012

Sports2012 Member

He's over-estimated our young players, and himself.

9. Sports2012

Sports2012 Member

When Lin, Harden and Asik were all on the bench.

10. Sports2012

Sports2012 Member

McHale was trying to cover up the two bad subbing decisions he made during that three minutes that eventually cost us the game. Please see my post on Page 7 in this thread for detailed explanation.

11. Sports2012

Sports2012 Member

I don't think most of the criticisms here were throwing eggs at McHale. Instead I think they were objective and accurate, and McHale needs help to see things better in order to learn and improve.

12. Sports2012

Sports2012 Member

See? This is why we need a real PG on the floor.

13. Sports2012

Sports2012 Member

We didn't have the luxury of having both Harden and Lin on the floor at that moment, because Harden was already exhausted. A better option then was to sub Lin for Harden.

14. Sports2012

Sports2012 Member

Totally agreed.

15. Sports2012

Sports2012 Member

McHale was desperate to the point that he lost his mind, subbing the 6'6" Delfino for Asik to protect the board and the paint against the 6'10" Gallinari and 6'8" Faried. Smith had played only two minutes in previous quarters.

Check the lineups of both team's when that happened.

McHale was himself a 7' PF. Looks like he has totally forgotten what size mismatch can do to a game.

16. Sports2012

Sports2012 Member

Right on.

17. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Rockets turned it over on the first two possessions when Jeremy Lin came on the floor.

Just so you know how substitutions work -- they're not necessarily literal. Carlos Delfino does not actually fill Omer Asik's role. He was not inserted to "protect the board and the paint." Patrick Patterson was on Faried and Chandler Parsons was on Gallinari in that lineup to start out.

And it wasn't down low where Gallinari burned the Rockets -- it was from beyond the arc. Asik is not going to keep Gallinari from hitting tough threes with guys on him. It's not going to keep Jeremy Lin and Carlos Delfino from taking the same guy in transition, leaving Ty Lawson open for a three. It wasn't until Wilson Chandler went right to the basket, and Faried got the offensive board and putback in the paint that the absence of Asik was really felt.

Go back and watch the play with 4:45 left -- Lin, Harden, Parsons and Asik are all on the floor. With the Rockets within 6, Asik got the defensive board but had it picked by Faried. So we have a new play set up by Gallo at the top of the key, with Parsons on him. Lin is covering Lawson on the wing. Gallo drives left and dishes to Lawson. Lawson goes around Lin towards the basket -- Parsons switches to cover Lawson and Lin stays on Lawson also.

Gallinari is completely forgotten -- he slides over to the baseline and no one is within 10 feet of him. He gets the easy feed from Lawson, who notices that Parsons and Lin have miscommunicated, and knocks down the three.

You can't see that with a simple scan of the play-by-play log. Again, the Nuggets were 4-20 from three point-range in the first three quarters, but were 4-8 from three in the fourth. They hit 3 of those during the 13-2 run when Asik was out in the fourth. Combine that with the Rocket turnovers in the period and, despite the 3-point lead entering the quarter, a win was unlikely.

I don't think Kevin McHale is a perfect coach, and personally, I was confused by the hiring at the time. Also, I'm not convinced this is the guy who will be coaching the team when they're actually contending. Having said that, this is the same guy who coached a team with a 50-point lead in Utah the other day. This isn't a 50+ win roster as currently constructed, considering age, experience and depth, and I think you only consider letting go of a coach when he has his team completely underperforming or has totally lost the respect of his players. It's going to take some time and I don't think firing him is the cure.

1 person likes this.
  18. Sports2012

Sports2012 Member

Thank you for replying to my two posts.

For the first one, I was responding to mothman's question "Parsons playing PG making play?" This was why I said "This is why we need a real PG on the floor."

For the second post you replied to with a lot of details, you are right that "Carlo Delfino does not actually fill Omer Asik's role," and that was actually why I pointed it out. Because my real doubt for that decision by McHale was, if the 7-foot Asik was out and the 6'6" Delfino came in, then who was supposed to fill Asik's role to "protect the board and the paint." It was mostly Smith in previous games, but in this case it was not.

I agree that one reason for our quickly falling behind was Gallinari's 3-pointers. I actually rewatched the third and the fourth quarter just to see who was doing what.*

There were at least two 3's by Gallo made when Parsons was the defender. One of the two was made on a switch when Delfino became the one guarding Gallo.

If both Parsons and Delfino had moved closer up to Gallo when he got the ball, as that is what we normally would do to make it difficult for perimeter shooters, Gallo would not have had as much space to comfortably made those two shots. *And I think Parsons and Delfino would probably have done so, if there had not been some driving and layups made by Gallo and other Nuggets before these shots. They probably had concerns that there was no second-line defender behind them big enough to effectively protect the board and the paint, so they unconsciously stayed closer to the basket. They probably were not only concerned about Gallo shooting 3's, but also about Gallo (6'10"), Faried (6'8") and the 6'8" Wilson Chandler getting to the rim.

As for the turnovers by Harden, Parsons and Patterson, and missed shots in those several minutes as other posters mentioned, I'd like to offer my explanation as a peak performance coach and master NLP trainer who studies human reactions to different situations.

When people get suddenly thrown into a situation they have never experienced or learned about, usually they would draw a blank in their mind, and not knowing what to do or how to react. In NLP terms, they don't have the programs installed in them for proper response to that situation, thus all the fumbling and losing control of the ball in the thick of the quick movements of both themselves and their opponents.

As for why McHale decided to go small at that time, It should be for a different thread to discuss whether McHale has abandoned the traditional five-position defense that emphasizes bigs in the paint, and has moved to small-ball offense and defense, or even position-less offense and defense. He may still be experimenting, but we are only talking here about the result of whatever he did in this game.

Even though I have been pointing out what I thought were bad coaching decisions made by McHale and his other weaknesses, I have NOT YET say that I want him fired.*

19. MonKing

MonKing Member

Boy Sports2012, you sure can post. 7 posts here, then broken up by another poster, then another 12 posts. Holy cow, what is your record in a single thread - 25, 30 consecutive posts?

If you take a second to combine a few of those it will make things much more readable.

20. Sports2012

Sports2012 Member

I usually wake up before dawn and start reading through the posts and reply to them individually. Guess that's why my posts come consecutively.

As for my record, I never counted them so I really don't know.

Most of my posts were just short ones to let the poster know that there is some one on the forum who agrees with their view point, so as to encourage rational discussions.

I will try to combine them when they are related. Thanks for your suggestion.