1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[Video] Kevin McHale after Houston's 118-110 loss to Denver 1/30/2013

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jan 31, 2013.

1. tminusrex

tminusrex Rookie

The worst thing I'm seeing is if Harden isn't playing well they'll cut Lin's minutes to pair him up with Toney.

2. TheRookets

TheRookets Rookie

I like this! I like this angry McHulk. He's usually so soft spoken and soft, afraid to confront his players. Hopefully this results in either him quitting OR it fires him up and he'll be a beast coach like Pop.

3. Roxs

Roxs Member

My gripe with this interview is that McHale didn't really take much of, or any of the blame.

He's the coach. That's part of the job description.

4. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

That is some seething anger....

5. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Hard to stop turnovers because people don't do them on purpose. But Lin and Parsons both love to get in the air before knowing what they're gonna do with the ball. Harden is feeling like a rock star--and he is awesome--but he goes into iso mode, killing the smooth running of the offense, and he also gives up on defense when he is upset. Sometimes he is just lazy on D too.

6. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

a vastly superior 4
    +
    a real center to back up asik
    +
    a less turnover prone 3 (parsons would be an ideal 6th man)
    =
    a very dangerous playoff team

7. shoops

shoops Member

I hope this guy is trying to figure out how to adjust rather than putting all the blame on his players. Players aren't perfect, and can't be expected to be perfect, which is why it is up to the coaching staff to make the most out of their players strengths by making timely and appropriate substitutions.

8. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

i mean ...what he said is actually true. TOs, not getting back, no ball movement; that, plus Denver getting hot was why we lost in the last few minutes of the game. I'll have to rewatch to see what McHale could have done better, i'm sure he bares some responsibility, but i remember watching and thinking ...we are self-destructing and Denver doesn't need the help right now.

9. cw3k

cw3k Member

No body expect a coach to win every games. But the problem with McHale is he failed the players. He does not understand the player's strength and expect them to be something they are not.

I have watched every game in season and I still cannot figure out what is McHale's system. I doubt it anyone understand.

10. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

This.

Saying McHale fails in everything is obviously not fair. And his critics didn't give him the credit when we were winning.

That said, his coaching seems kind of inconsistent. Well, you can say that he's a "young" coach in the sense that he doesn't have a lot of experience. So inconsistency for a young coach with a young team is to be expected.

Usually when a man is angry, its' one of two reasons:
    1. Somebody did some bad things that should not have been done but he was powerless in controlling that person. (The coach did everything he could but the players still played bad.)
    2. He did some bad things that he cannot change and is embarrassed. (The coach knows he screwed up and doesn't want people to question him.)

I am giving McHale the benefit of the doubt that it's mostly #1 in this case.

One thing I really don't understand about last night's game is Parsons finishing the 3rd quarter with an ISO play. I don't know if it was designed. If so, that's on the coach.

11. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

Hey McHale- maybe if you put your PG back in the game the ball would've moved around enough on the offensive end and turnovers would have gone down.

12. rayrocket

rayrocket Member

there is nothing wrong for McHale gives Harden the green light, the guy with big beard is the best player on our team. But I have to say McHale doesn't understand the beauty of flow combining GREEN YELLOW RED and Arrow. He doesn't know when to show a YELLOW when one player is losing control, and he gives another player RED when he is setting the table for teamates, his timing is always wrong..........You guys know what I am saying.........

1 person likes this.
  13. roxxy

roxxy Member

Absurdly yes I do know what you are saying lol.

14. darksoul35

darksoul35 Member

I get that mad everytime I think about him being our coach.

15. gnozahs

gnozahs Member

hohoho. Dude mad.

16. brick

brick Member

Yeah. He expects every player to play a share of PG, has not changed a bit from last season. No wander Kyle and Dragic wanted to leave ASAP.

17. cytrynowa

cytrynowa Member

Is it really McHale's system? Or Chris Finch's/Morey's stats?

18. peter2012

peter2012 Member

Man, I dont know. He has had the same kind of problem almost all year long. So what mistakes did he learn from past?

19. Xenophobia

Xenophobia Member

Did mchale just called out harden?

20. Rocket Freak

Rocket Freak Contributing Member

It's ok. Charlotte's coming to town on Saturday!