1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

SportsRadio 610 Program Director Resigns

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ima_drummer2k, Jan 23, 2013.

1. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Interesting.... I wonder what (if anything) this means for the much-maligned Jon Ennis...

LOL at some of the comments in this article...

2. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

i can't stand that 790 is connected with FOX but i've finally been converted. palilo with lance is brilliant.

3. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Left for dallas?

Good riddance, then.

4. BFF

BFF Member

Every single show that asshat put on was loud-mouthed know-nothings that would say things simply to incite the listener. I've never been angry listening to other shows, but every single one of his pissed me off. I truly hope the new program director will see this and fire every "talent" short of Laura Reynolds and Rich Lord.

Adam Clanton & John Wessling are 10 times better. I'd love to see them move to a better signal.

5. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Now it all makes sense doesn't it?

6. K mf G

K mf G Contributing Member

hilarious

7. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

This is the only show in Houston I can stand to listen to for more than 1 segment. This was a brilliant pairing IMO. Two of the most well-informed hosts in the city now on the same show.

Once Lance stops sounding like he's kissing up to Charlie, the show will be perfect. It's the best show in Houston since the original Charlie and Rich pairing on 740 back in the day. Maybe even better.

8. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

haven't listened to 610 in a long time. I thought I would miss having the "inside" interviews with texans players...I guess I don't miss trite commentary. Still don't understand how people can listen to that lineup with consistency. I also find it funny how everyone points to the ratings as though that somehow makes up for the fact that it is so bad.

9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I must say . . I wish I could listen to IN THE TRENCHES more
    Those guys are personable and knowledgable
    They don't seem to go OVER THE TOP to try and reach or be funny

Matt and Adam are good morning fair . .. best in the morning.

Matt Thomas is probably the weakest link on the stattion
    [is gwinn still around?]

Rocket River

10. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

The people who actively listen to 610 are the same people who call Charlie "a know-it-all poindexter".....basically, people who wear their stupidity and ignorance as a badge of honor. Gavin Spittle knew this, and played up to it by bringing on more and more hosts that were loud-mouthed jerks who could mix it up with the callers instead of bringing insight and knowledge to an industry that sorely lacks it. Good riddance to this clown, even though I am still never going to listen to 610 anyways.

11. rhino17

rhino17 Member

That's not true. I Hate 610, but I also can't listen to Charlie either. In the trenches is the best show on the radio for me with Matt Thomas #2. I listen to the afternoon show sometimes because I like Lance but Charlie drags him down for me.

12. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

That describes most sports fan especially ones who call sports talk radio. Josh's ratings are really good so I don't think he is going anywhere. It really is no longer sports talk. It is just football talk whether it be 790 or 610.

I remember watching the opening scene of FNL with people calling into the radio station. Sports talk radio now days kind of is like that.

13. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Yeah that pretty much explains why 610 got the ratings. Not what Gavin did or who he hired. Though I actually think Nick Wright sounds decent, and Ted Johnson/Seth Payne were good ex player replacements when Kalu left.

Have to say I eschew listening to CP/LZ to listen to Afternoon Delight most times these days, their meme humor and running gags into the ground are up my alley. CP/LZ sometimes gets too analytical but I switch back and forth when I want serious info (CP/LZ) or just want to be amused (AD).

14. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Can't speak for 610, but 790 has really grown on me. I was exclusively a 97.5 listener, but their hosts are become too annoying for me at times. Carl Dukes' show was going to shat, and now that The Blitz has replaced him, it seems like they spend all their time talking about how bad their callers are. I'm starting to think that their problem with ‘bad’ callers is indicative. And don’t even get me started on Dave Tepper, just horrible. Jerome Solomon is meh, I’m sure some of yall might have a much stronger opinion on him though.

790 is generally solid all around though, IMO.

15. QdoubleA

QdoubleA Member

If Matt Thomas is the weak link then that is a damn strong chain. MT is awesome.

16. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

You say "That's not true." but then you go on to not actually disagree with anything I said. I said people who actively listen to 610 are the same people who don't listen to Charlie because he's intelligent.....which you don't do. You simply don't listen to either. I never made any mention of where Charlie falls on the list of hosts, and I actually do enjoy In The Trenches a bit more than The Drive Home (or whatever they call it). I am actually not a fan of Matt Thomas, but that's neither here nor there. I know it's semantics, but still..... :)

1 person likes this.
  17. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

The morning and drive time shows on 790 are awesome. That is all.

18. G Zus Kryst

G Zus Kryst Rookie

hopefuly he takes hiz tarded dj's with him......

19. GMT

GMT New Member

If you think Clanton & Wessling are better then YOU are the asshat. Their sports knowlegde is a D+ at best and the show consists of fake voices and you name it "on a mobile". That's garbage sportstalk radio. Get a grip!

20. Nero

Nero Member

Count me among the people who have never cared for Charlie.. ALTHOUGH he has mellowed a LOT since he moved over to 790.

However, to mention the 'pairing' of Charlie and Rich as anything other than audio poison stank.. well, we'll just have to agree to disagree. But in no way will I listen to 610. 790 all the way, not even close.