1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Rockets @ Mavericks 1/16/2013

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jan 16, 2013.

1. roxxy

roxxy Member

This is utterly false. Lin was running the PNR more than 40% of the time last year & he was a lot worst at it last season than he was this season. Lin's %time on the PNR needs to be WAY up. Raymond Felton runs the PNR greater than 40% time for the Knicks & he is the inferior PNR ball handler.

2. t3ddt3ch

t3ddt3ch Member

Man you guys riding Hardens jock need to wake up and smell the coffee and you idiots saying Beverley is going to take Lin's starting job need to watch some more basketball.

3. CuriousG11

CuriousG11 Member

How many starts did Rondo have under his belt before he became "Rondo"? Give Lin a chance.

4. hocash

hocash Contributing Member

The team free throw numbers tonight were fine. Just that lin and harden happened to be the guys who missed.
    Bad shooting night from your main scorer means you normally lose.
    Wish Lin would be this aggressive more. Especially when we go through our patented offensive droughts.

5. jasonemilio

jasonemilio Member

Fair enough criticism because you're objective to admit that Lin has that potential to be much more and has shown in in semi-consistent occasions.

But I agree, when he's not playiong aggressive AND decisive, he tends to bog us down and become semi-useless cuz he can shoot a lick and he is not really a true PG.

6. muas2010

muas2010 Member

Likewise, I'm tired of people throwing Lin under the bus to legitimize the team. Dude that Celtics nucleus has been around for a few years...chemistry counts in team ball.:rolleyes:

7. Lucky Charm

Lucky Charm Member

[​IMG]
    We were this close, so damn close. I actually got nauseous during the last minute, the #anxiety was too much.

Bad: Back court struggling offensively. Delfino playing point guard for the Mavs with those turnovers, missing a crap load of layups.

Good: Rockets never gave up, even when they were down by 19 or something. This is the youngest team in the league, that's huge guys, just shows the potential they have. Lin with the clutch flops (jk I do love how he snaps his head back though hehe), we got dose of Linsanity! sadly only for the last quarter :eek:.

Best: LORD BEVERLEY.
    And just like that, Toney is out of the rotation :p
    Nightmare dejavu for Toney, first Lin took his job now here comes Beverley, he just can't catch a break :(

THIS to everything, but especially the bolded.
    Jeremy needs to turn on that Linsanity switch from the start of the game. Had he been ballin' like that from the start we couldn't gotten this.

8. aesthetics80

aesthetics80 Member

25% of his few touches isn't that many. Jeremy's usage rate is #43 out of all PGs at 19%. That's low. In contrast, Westbrook and Kyrie have usage rates at 30%.

Honestly him putting up 15-7 averages over the last 25 games or so with that low a usage is pretty good.

9. holly1985

holly1985 Member

He's not that kind of a player, and never was(a good catch and shoot guy). I believe Morey knows it when he signed Lin. Maybe Morey doesn't know McHale's coaching plan at that time. Otherwise he could get another pg who's just a good shooter.
    Lin is trying to fit in. But it takes time.

10. roxxy

roxxy Member

Patt & Morris don't set good Picks. Not sure about Parsons. Agree on Smith he sets mean picks & rolls hard to the rim he is also agile, quick & has great hands. His D is bad but Greg is a alright rebounder & a good roll man. The rockets D is already atrocious as it is & likely won't get better all season might as well just maximise the offense.

In regards to other posts people don't know what they are talking about. You can't rely on USG as a stat. If Lin was turning the ball over like 7 times a game his USG would go up. if you want to know how involved a player is in the offense check synergy. USG is flawed in so many ways. If Lin was chucking like a mofo he would have a ridiculously high USG also.

11. Arthurprescott2

Gotta agree w/ roxxy here - Lin should be running PnR more. The only time he penetrates into the paint is when defenses fall asleep in transition or w/ the small-ball-floor-spacing line-up. Too bad that line-up can't defend anything w/ PPatt at the 5. Why they aren't running PnPop w/ PPatt during those times is beyond me.

12. torocan

torocan Member

You do realize that in NY 42.5% of ALL his plays were off the PnR?

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-t...-the-rockets-part-i-running-the-pick-and-roll

In other words, the current role of Lin has him doing what he does best (PnR) at only 58% of the rate he was running it before relative to his total possessions.

Oh, and the weakest aspect of his game (catch and shoot)? He's running that at almost double the rate of last season.

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/47791/felton-over-lin-are-the-knicks-lin-sane

So, let's have you do what you're weak at more often, and what you're strong at less often and see how that works in terms of results...

13. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Maybe we would be running the P&R more if we had Tyson Chandler..

The team's offense shouldn't be structured around our third-best player. Arguably our second best when he is playing well.

The Lin/Harden P&R has been effective in stretches, but I haven't seen anything that makes me think we should be running it a majority of the time on offense.

14. ERC

ERC Member

But Lin's not the highest paid guy; he's paid the league average. At 16m/y or 48m/3yrs, Harden's paid almost twice as much as Lin.

Lin's game is obviously far from being complete but for a guy who is more effective with the ball in his hands (as evident in the Spurs game Harden sat out, as well as 4Q tonite, or any other occasion where he is the primary playmaker and ball-handler), the fact the he's sharing the backcourt with another ball-dominant guard needs to be taken into consideration. You can't have it both ways.

Again, I'm not saying Lin is on the same caliber as Harden, but the kid cares, tries, is fearless going to the rim despite being constantly whacked, and has a great work ethic. I think the kid deserves more respect than the blatant hatred shown by many on this forum.

15. Pak14life

Pak14life Member

The expectations for Lin are way too high. Since December 8 (McHale came back) I posted earlier hes at 15/7/4 on 46% per 36 mins. That's great considering his salary and experience level.

16. muas2010

muas2010 Member

True. It's all about basic math....if Lin was on a team where he could chuck a consistent 15-20 shots he's going to get that 18-20 points and 7-8 assist a night. The Rockerts, with Harden, isn't built that way.....Lin is not the #1 option like Kyrie or as selfish, at times, like Westbrook. I think Lin should be shelfish...but that's a different story.

17. Lucky Charm

Lucky Charm Member

I forgot to mention how much our PFs suck, but that's already a given I guess.
    Just completely invisible. Delfino and Lin played better defense on Dirk then Morris and PPat, for the love of Beverly!!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Man, the legend, the icon. Beverley Thrills.
    [​IMG]

18. Karolik

Karolik Member

Well, torocan for all his bias does have a point here. I just checked and CP3 had 212 P&R plays runs for him in similar minutes as Lin, Tony Parker had 313 P&R plays in similar minutes, even Raymond Felton had 260 run P&R in similar minutes and less games.. Goran Dragic with 205. Vasquez has 301. All are at 35%+ in P&R out of plays run.

Quite simply we don't have a roller on the starting lineup and that is why it limits the effectiveness of our guards, (especially Lin).

19. torocan

torocan Member

Actually, my argument is that there should be more PnR's for BOTH Harden and Lin.

Harden and Lin were two of the most effective PnR ball handlers in the NBA last season. Yet both Harden AND Lin are getting PnR's on only 25% of their plays.

In theory with two good PnR ball handlers, you would think that you would push to have them involved in PnR's more often, even if it's Smith, Parsons, Patterson and Morris setting a couple more picks a game.

Setting a pick isn't brain surgery. And Rolling isn't THAT hard, especially when they can already get to the rim and score (it's not like they're pure jump shooters). Even if they don't finish and only get a foul, that's FAR better than leaving Harden AND Lin out to dry on so many ISO plays.

20. roxxy

roxxy Member

Our offense is all over the place. We run PnPop with PPatt for a few games then we stop running it. We run Lin harden PNR for a few games then we stop running it & all of a sudden it shows up in the this game. Harden & Lin figured it out themselves out there on floor it seems or did McHale call for it?

I don't know if McHale is calling plays & Rockets aren't executing or if McHale isn't calling good plays.