1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Rockets @ Mavericks 1/16/2013

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jan 16, 2013.

1. rokit

rokit Member

is this the first time lin took the game over with harden still on the floor?

2. pnr

pnr Member

Lin frustrates me this season. He doesn't know when to score and when to pass ie. defer to harden because harden is a superstar. I believe if he were a number 1 option on a team he would put up his NYK numbers but if he wants to win a champ he NEEDS to learn how to be a second/third option on offense. It really frustrates me to see him deferring to harden when he was so cold tonight. UGHFHSKDIUSHDIhai I don't wanna watch anymore rox games.

3. Karolik

Karolik Member

P&R with who? Asik? Patterson?

4. holly1985

holly1985 Member

Lin is not the kind of PG McHale is looking for. But it's too late. They're in the same team. So it's up to Lin to adjust to McHale's playbook. He's adjusting and struggling.

5. torocan

torocan Member

Actually, Parsons and Smith are both decent roll guys. I would like to see Patterson used more in terms of setting picks.

It doesn't always have to be Asik (who has his own issues).

If Harden and Lin can run Picks for each other, there's no reason players like Morris, Patterson, Smith and Parsons can't run more of them as well. All they need is to add a few picks for a few more players and you're getting better results.

6. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

So that means that 25% of plays run for Lin are P&R? That should be more than enough, for all the people saying that Lin needs a P&R to be effective on a daily basis.

7. kozmo

kozmo Member

assists is a misleading stat.... great pass, guy misses the lay up....how many tims has Asik not caught the ball....tonight parsons didnt catch the ball....if harden and lin had a quailty big who could catch and finish that assist stat would look entirely different,

8. Penetrate&Creat

Coaching staff. Nuf said.

9. jasonemilio

jasonemilio Member

Then don't.

You're the definition of a LOF , or a "OF" in general.

10. xclearscreen

xclearscreen Rookie

it's all very logical if McFail is tanking

11. kozmo

kozmo Member

and people talking about Lin struggling...over the last month hes struggled some but not much.... scored 19 tonight....last night 12 points and 10 assists, thats not struggling and from the field in teh last month hes over 50%, thats not struggeling. The problem with the rockets is not LIn, it's defense and big guy...thats teh problem

12. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Lin on coming up short: "If I could make a free throw, that would be nice." Harden: "I have to make layups." Both are correct but... (1/2)</p>&mdash; Jonathan Feigen (@Jonathan_Feigen) <a href="https://twitter.com/Jonathan_Feigen/status/291768202067857409" data-datetime="2013-01-17T04:45:34+00:00">January 17, 2013</a>

13. rocketlauch

rocketlauch Member

We're not saying the ratio has to be different, 25% is fine...but the total quantity of PnR plays Lin is involved in is lacking...Lin's usage rate is abysmally low

14. Roxs

Roxs Member

Facts are welcome much welcomed. Thank you for this.

Now if we can only figure out why the team is running so few PnR plays.

15. Spooner

Spooner Member

I'm tired of people throwing the team under the bus to legitimize Lin. He isn't even close to the playmaker of Rondo's caliber. Therefore, his shooting liability is a big concern. We need a point guard who can space the floor, and he isn't getting it done. That's nobody's fault but his own. Period.

16. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Well it certainly shouldn't be the highest usage rate on the team, I'm sure as he gets better his usage rate will go up.

17. steady

steady Member

Lin is basically a rookie. He is not as good as he should be. He has been incredibly inconsistent at times. It's incredibly frustrating sometimes. But does it really deserve this much focus after games. He played a key role in the 4Q comeback, at least give him credit for that.

Lin has a 3 year contract for 25 mill (a little over 8 mill a year). Same as Asik. Harden has a 5 year contract for 80 million (16 mill a year).

18. Roxs

Roxs Member

I felt like the turning point in the game was the charge/block called against Lin that should have been a charge, but called a block with 2mins left in the game. Up until that point, the game was tied and momentum was favoring the Roxs. After that call went against us, I just knew we were going to lose.

The ESPN announcers were very confident it should have been a charge.

19. pnr

pnr Member

I'm not even going to pretend Lin is anywhere near the playmaker Rondo is, but just know Lin's role on this team is completely different from Rondo's role on the Celtics.

20. Arthurprescott2

Agreed on Smith. Not sure on Parsons. PPatt & Morris... if I see either set a good pick I'll contribute to the tip jar.

But the primary big on the floor is always Asik - and if he's not a threat then his man will come off him to allow Parsons' man to double the handler.

So you're talking about those 15 mins a game when Asik sits - of which Smith plays maybe 10.

Agreed on the picks.

Just in general we need a better roll man - Smith seems to be that guy but he can't be on the floor too long cause his defense just isn't up to snuff.