1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Rockets @ Mavericks 1/16/2013

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jan 16, 2013.

1. rocketlauch

rocketlauch Member

You don't just PnR with your average fast guy and hope he gets to the rim...you run PnR with someone who has arguably one of the quickest bursts of straight-line acceleration in the NBA, who's 6'4" with shoes, and is very good-excellent at passing off the PnR.

2. roxxy

roxxy Member

Sure I just don't want McHale to take minutes away from the following guys, harden Asik Greg Lin Parsons Patt Morris. All of these guys deserve consistent playing time & lots of it. Namely Patt & Morris we need to know definitively if Patt & Morris are a part of the long term plans of the Rockets future. Asik harden Lin Parsons are here to stay imo & I would love to keep Greg I am fond of that kid. Guys like Douglas Cole etc aren't in the Rockets long term plans. Delfino I like but I don't think he is in the rockets long term plans either.

3. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

I never said we shouldn't use P&R, but Lin is a great finisher at the rim and I wish he would drive and look to finish, not pass, more often. He played great in the 4th quarter tonight (minus a couple missed free throws) and there's no reason why he can't do the same thing more often. The coaches didn't all of the sudden say "ok, we'll let Lin score some." Lin got confident for whatever reason and decided to take over. I wish he'd do it more often.

I've never noticed that and I've watched every game.

4. adobo

adobo Member

I agree with you about James Harden. You can't fault the guy for having one off game. He has been mr consistant for this team and will be a future (if not already) superstar in the NBA.

With Jeremy, he has been inconsistant, but you have to also look at it from his perspective. He has had to adapt to a new role where he is no longer the main guy on offense. He strives normally when he has the ball in his hands. Earlier on, he had to change to be a spot of 3pt shooter which is not his strength (you can't fault the coaches either since they are also still learning on everyone's strength and weaknesses). The positive thing about Lin is we are getting glimpses of his potential and you just can tell he will have a good future with this team.

One positive thing about this losing streak is being in the first half of the season, it allows the coaches to realise the weaknesses of there players and what works. It's good that we are still in the play off hunt even with this losing streak. Our schedule will get better 2nd half and our chemistry will get better. I can't see this team missing the play offs.

5. nickg

nickg Member

I would agree with the shots thing, but he's shooting 43% on the season which isn't terrible. A big chunk of that is from when he's stuck as a spot up shooter. Harden turns the ball over more. Since harden is shooting 45%, does that mean he is consistently missing shots as well??

6. Second_Cousin

Second_Cousin Member

Lin is definitely overcoached, putting him in a box, stiffling his basketball instincts. He went off in the 4th because he didn't care what the coaches were saying... he wanted to take the game over... you saw how he shot that 3 with no hesitation. Only after timeouts did he hesitate again or defer again.

7. PeterDLai

PeterDLai Member

I can't even imagine how much hate Lin would have gotten if he had missed that 3. :p

8. aesthetics80

aesthetics80 Member

Harden was not double or triple teamed tonight. He went 1 on 1 ISO on most possessions and simply blew easy layups. How many times did he isolate and jab step his defender 10 times before driving to the basket and missing a layup? Too many to count tonight.

It's just too predictable at this point.

The real problem is lack of offensive plays/pick and rolls/screens/movement etc. which falls squarely on coaching staff.

9. munco

munco Member

If it were that simple why wouldn't he do it? I have a hard time believing that its as simple as Lin just needs to be more aggressive

10. Second_Cousin

Second_Cousin Member

He didn't get confident per se. The team was down, Harden CLEARLY having an off night, and 4-game losing streak. He decided he was going to take over the ball and do what came naturally for him... drive, shoot off the dribble in rhythm, draw fouls. I bet McFail was still yelling for him to pass up the ball. His play in the 4th Q was very reminiscent of the Spurs game.

11. javajam

javajam Contributing Member

Oh well. I feel bad for the guys and hope the coaches can show confidence in them to bounce back.

I did enjoy Hubie Brown and Mike Breen calling the game.

Take care everyone.

12. Jedster

Jedster Member

It'll be on youtube, and Bleacher Report will run an article NEXT SEASON talking about how Jeremy Lin has been exposed as a below average PG with the clip as an example, together with the missed 3 from the Miami game.

:grin:

13. amaru

amaru Member

9th seed right now.

14. w00t

w00t Member

Long term plan is heading to dleague soon, I hope tomorrow :rolleyes:

15. aesthetics80

aesthetics80 Member

If Lin is given a green light/freedom along with some decent screens/pick and rolls he can produce.

That's exactly what Linsanity was, it's exactly what happened in the Spurs game.

He's been handcuffed by coaching staff, it's very apparent. Didn't his brother tweet something about it before removing it? Also that Jeremy had told someone close to him that he was upset at the ball-stopping ISO offense.

16. adobo

adobo Member

I'll call it now. Rockets will have a 3 winning streak next 3 games.

17. roxxy

roxxy Member

Young players are by very definition inconsistent. To be frank what is separating Lin from being a great player & an average player is one his shooting & two his passing once the defenses collapses on him. Guys like CP3, Nash Rubio can make passes into the tiniest pockets, Lin is still a work in progress on that score. To expect consistency from anybody on this roster, being the youngest team in the NBA is a wishing on a star.

This that final play Mchale drew was absurd. The only three Lin hit tonight was off the dribble once a screen was set. Then McHale draws him up a spot up 3? Crazy. Lin is not a comfortable shooter in catch & shoots at all you can see it on his face. But still it was a wide open shot he needs to shoot those all the time. Also that pass to parsons was a good pass, Parsons needs to catch that but it should have never come to that in the first place.

Anyway I am not even mad at anybody on this roster fun game.

18. gorockets2009

gorockets2009 Rookie

Spot on!

19. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

I mean I don't really agree but I guess it's no use to argue. Alot of this stuff is subjective, we aren't going to center our offense around arguably our third (second on a good day) best playe. Lin is an NBA player and it's up to him to adjust and learn to be effective in the offense. He has plenty of opportunities to score even in the current offense. We stick Parsons and even Harden sometimes in the corner and it's not "stifling their basketball instincts."

It's predictable, but it usually works for Harden. He usually makes those layups, but you are correct in that second observation. Our non-Harden offense is not only predictable, but it isn't working as of late. Guys aren't making their shots, and therefore the losing streak. It doesn't help that we don't play any defense, which is 100% the coaches responsibility.

Look at the bright side, Harden had arguably his worst game of the season shooting wise, and still put up 20/8/7. That's a superstar right there..

20. GoRockets!

GoRockets! Member

Lin didn't get the picks he asked for quite often, even Bullard mentioned that in the games.

I find it interesting that oftentimes, Harden set the picks for Lin or Douglas, not vice versa. Have to give credit to Harden for that.