1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Rockets @ Celtics 1/11/2013

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jan 10, 2013.

1. howo13579

howo13579 Member

I don't blame McHale's rotations in the 4th. hindsight is 20/20. But He's just not a in game coach. It should not be hard. Lin handles the ball. Asik comes out and sets a screen for Lin & roll. At the same time, morris sets a screen for Harden. Lin either pass to Asik (sometimes difficult becuase Asik's not a good roller or just simply can't catch) or pass to Harden who's slashing to the basket. If Parsons defender comes to help D, Harden passes to Parsons. Parsons can then layup if lane is open or wide open shot. This is just one of many examples that why setting screen can be so beneficial for offense. It doesn't seem Mchale understand any of these. He needs to study Spurs' games.

2. t3ddt3ch

t3ddt3ch Member

This is a stupid post...:rolleyes:

3. visible

visible Member

I agree. He needs to find his balance. It's not ok for starter taking almost 35+ mins and only shot less than 10 shots for most of games.

4. glacier921

glacier921 Rookie

I second that!

5. New

When Asik comes to set the screen, usually Harden does not even have the time to wave-off the screen! I am of course exaggerating.:grin:

Either set the screen firmly and then roll or do not set the screen at all! That's why 2Pat sucks at setting screens!!! He pretends to set the screen and then runs before the guard has the chance to utilize it!!!!

6. muas2010

muas2010 Member

Exactly, he needs to take at least an average of 15 shots on a nightly basis. No when to faciliate and when to just take the game over. It's not like he doesn't have the skill to do it....he's proven over and over that he can take over a game.

7. gate470

gate470 Rookie

Harden with 6 TO's. This board overrates Parsons. Buuuuut home grown guys always get more love than they deserve.

8. glacier921

glacier921 Rookie

He's afraid that he'll get benched that's why, though I don't think they'll bench him now.

9. tws793

tws793 New Member

Harden was defended too tightly this game...

10. Bball_4life

Bball_4life Member

Lin was not aggressive in the 4th, in fact he did not take a single shot. I think the reason why is because nobody passed the ball to him and then later it was just garbage time - so I think he did not want to do any stat padding.

So you can't really blame him, there wasn't much he could have done. If have watched the 4th quarter then you would have seen whenever he passed the ball it never went back to him. If he was put in earlier he would have been more aggressive, since he usually does well in the 4th quarter. Usually the only time he did not do well in the 4th quarter games, was when Mchale wanted Harden to ISO; therefore, Lin was just stands around.

11. glacier921

glacier921 Rookie

Please don't quote him. He's a troll and on many ignore lists. thanks.

12. New

I like how Lin is playing now except I think he should try to take more mid-range jumpers. He takes over a game when he does a lot of penetration and driving to the basket. However, Lin usually hits the floor hard after making the lay-ups. This can not last. He did not tear his meniscus for no reason. That's why I think Harden's attack is more sustainable in his career even though he is also doing the 3 and lay-up thing.

I think Lin is trying to practice other ways to assist his teammates. Maybe I am just being too optimistic :p

13. muas2010

muas2010 Member

14. Bball_4life

Bball_4life Member

Stfu dumbass, he played better than Rondo, lol.

15. New

That guy needs to buy a league pass...

16. Second_Cousin

Second_Cousin Member

I will be that guy and just come right out and say it. Mchale doesn't really understand basketball. He is a HOF because of his talents as a low post player. But in terms of coaching, understanding all facets of the game? No sorry.

17. Winseb

Winseb Member

Lin and Harden really need someone who can set good screens. Most of the time they can only get to the rim by trying to drive passed the other guard, who usually bodies them up a bit greatly increasing chance of turnover. It gets exhausting having to drive with a defender close to you. 2Pat and Mook set poor screens (2Pat rolls before he's even set). Asik is the closest we've got, but like half of his screens are moving! Okay, not really, but he does get called for a lot of them. If we had someone who could set some really good screens like a Tyson Chandler or Tim Duncan, it'd benefit everyone, not just our backcourt.

I also think Harden and especially Lin should take more mid range jumpers coming off of picks. I don't care if those shots are "inefficient", when either of them take one I see it go in more often than not. Can't say the same for three pointers. When you go 9-33 from downtown obviously you realize the three ball isn't falling, so change it up.

18. brah

brah Member

Lin should definitely not be taking more shots until he can get his jumper back. Every attempt is a detriment to the team as that could be made by Harden or whomever is hot that night.

Getting him to make more shots turns it into a Westbrook type scenario and that's a huge liability when your lineup is spaced out with shooters.

19. GoRockets!

GoRockets! Member

Lin's FT% has really regressed for the past few games: today, 3-5, Lakers 3-6, Cleveland 3-5. His January FT% so far is pathetic 66.7% :eek:

When you have big problem to shoot 3s and to score big in general, every charity line point is important for the team and also for your own stats. Yet for whatever reason, Lin simply didn't make the best of those easy points.

I see people here argue about Lin or TD playing in the 4th quarter. Well, if TD is trusted more by the coach, then it's because Douglas earned it by hitting his big 3s, often in critical moment or the 4th quarter. So far Lin hasn't been able to consistently do that. Lin really needs to look at himself for reasons why he has not been able to score much more thus impact the game much more than Douglas. Don't argue that he is a pass-first pure PG stuff, at the end of day, it's the score that team needs most, especially when we have many other players. i.e. Harden, Parsons, Delfino, Morris that all are capable of facilitating.

20. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Hard to really blame McHale much for this loss in my opinion. When you miss 12-29 from the free throw line, you don't deserve to win. That's not coaching, that's just a lack of focus...