1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kirk Cousins as Schaub's future successor?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by robroy77, Dec 17, 2012.

1. robroy77

robroy77 Contributing Member

Before the responders freak, hear me out. Schuab is having a very nice season no doubt. He has a great command of the offense that he's been in for 6 seasons. The bottom line is that he in gonna be 32 going into next season, and he hasnt always been the healthiest QB. Dont get me wrong I want Schaub as our QB for as long as his arm and body hold up, but at some point we have to think to our future. TJ Yates had some nice games last season, but he never felt like anything more than a game manager. This is where Kirk Cousins might come into play. Im not freaking out over him after one great game, what I loved was the way he played in the Shannahan/Kubiak offense. Very quick and smooth on his rollouts. Saw plenty of times when he would boot back after the play action fake and had the quickness to get around the rush and either make a play or at least gain a few on the ground. In these situations Schuab gets sacked a lot, or thats when he fades and fades and throws the ball away. Unless Shannahan gets greedy and tries to sell high on Cousins after one great game, I think he could end up being a Texan within the next 3 years. Obviously with the Shan/Kubes connection they will be able to share so much about him as a player in their offense and him as a person. If it did come down to trade you got to imagine Shannahan would give Smith/Kubiak a little better deal then another team might get. So what are you guys thoughts. I just kept having this cross my mind as I was watching the DVR replay of the game.

2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

It's an interesting thought.

Matt becomes an FA in 2017, Cousins in 2016, and the Kubiak-Shanny connection is there.

Who knows. It's possible.

3. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

The only real way I see it happening is if we go the Schaub route. Trading for a backup with the intention of making them the starter. Schaub would have to be done as a starter at that point.

Maybe you can sign Cousins as a FA with the promise that he'll be the starter when Schaub's contract is up, but if he's deserving of a starting role at that point, he could get an immediate starting gig somewhere else. Or maybe Schaub becomes a backup his last year.

I'd say any of these scenarios are longshots.

4. Nimo

Nimo Member

Kirk Cousins? Really?

Kevin Kolb anybody?

5. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

The fact that Schaub's replacement has already won a playoff game makes me say...no...

- Sincerely,
    TJ Yates

1 person likes this.
  6. robroy77

Well not all are turn out to be Kevin Kolbs! Schaub didnt turn out like him, and Im not talking making the move now and overpay at all. Basically thinking of grabbing him in a couple years after he's maybe played in 3-4 games. Kubes/Shanny connection would probably keep us from crazy overpaying, but if we get no high pick we have to get a QB somewhere.

7. 713

713 Member

Cam Newton

8. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Let us know when TJ signs a contract extension, until then, he's Schaub's backup, and not his successor.

9. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

he was a good draft pick. He will definitely be a nice trading chip in a year or 2

10. Nimo

Nimo Member

Schaub was different because he proved himself in more than one or two games. He was in ATL for three seasons. Played in a total of 38 games and had a QB rating of 98 in 2005 (16 games).

11. meh

meh Contributing Member

I want us to draft someone like Kapernick(sp?). Someone to give our offense an added dimension.

12. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

He essentially only played 3 games that year.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/gamelog/_/id/5615/year/2005/matt-schaub

I think he only had 4 actual starts before he became a Texan.

13. robroy77

Well thats the same timetable Im putting on Cousins. I never said this season or next, it was more like 3 years from now after he possibly played 3-4 games the same amount as Schaub. Im just saying I loved the way he played in our offense, we are gonna need to look to the future, and if he plays well in other spot starts he might be a Schuab replacement option. Level headed thinking here, not Kolb or Matt Flynn one hit wonder thinking.

14. Nimo

Nimo Member

15. Nimo

Nimo Member

And my point is that in three years he might not even have a job. Kolb looked exceptional in a couple of games himself. I understand this thread after he has impressed over a longer period of time. Right now, it's extremely premature.

16. Cannonball

If we win in Minny, hopefully TJ can bring us our first ever win in Indy.

17. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

I think a team like Arizona may take a chance on Cousins especially if he becomes available.

18. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Way premature. We have no clue what Cousins will be as a prospect in 2-3 years. He was very frustrating to watch at Michigan State. I doubt he develops into a starting calibur NFL QB. I see another Matt Flynn.

19. Ras137

Ras137 Contributing Member

The game is here, right?

20. Cannonball

The Minny game is, my mistake. But we still have to play the Colts in Indy where we've never won. Kind of sucks that the game may not matter but hopefully our backups can deliver a win anyway.