1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Moneyball on choosing Rockets staff?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by James Gabriel, Nov 17, 2012.

1. James Gabriel

James Gabriel Member

Much as moneyball is used in the selecting of Rockets players, I was kinda wondering if it also plays an important role on how our coaching staff, trainers, etc, get chosen as well.

Like if Morey and his team of analysts have some specialized kind of data and procedures that are used in selecting the best kind of staff that will fit to our players.

Or if they keep track of certain things that a current coach or trainer does that can be used for a moneyball type of evaluation.

2. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

i think part of the reason adelman was let go was because he didn't care about the numbers and stats as much as Morey did.

i think McHale was hired because he was more agreeable to the moneyball.

3. kuku

kuku Contributing Member

I dont think McHale agreed with moneyball but he certainly agreed to accept Finch from Morey as as his assistance coach.

Edit: Adelman wanted stability in his roster and Morey constantly moved players to improve his roster. If Morey wanted to tank and Adelman wanted none of that and will overachieve with what he had. They never saw eye to eye on anything!

#3 kuku, Nov 17, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2012
  4. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

No, it probably had more to do with which coach was willing to follow some of Morey's requirements such as Finch on the staff and such.

5. spdngyns69

spdngyns69 Member

The Rockets staff have so far been money. I will continue to support and approve moneyballz.

6. ag3ntgandhi

ag3ntgandhi Rookie

:confused:

7. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

I feel sure that McHale was chosen in part because he was willing to work with the front office. Adelman was probably much less accommodating. Morey gets some input into personnel usage and McHale gets some input into front office decisions. Sigh. White.

And by the way, Morey hired McHale and insisted Sampson and Finch remain of the coaching staff.

8. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Adelman didn't want Morey to control him.

This staff is full of yes p*****s and playing a fantasy stat game that doesn't work in real life.

9. spdngyns69

spdngyns69 Member

Moneyball is: y=Mx+z = James Harden. Playing slope equates to 80 mil being worth value by year 3 and 24 days 5 minutes and 5 seconds. All star equation.

10. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

dont the spurs and okc gms do this kind of ****?