1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Houston Rockets Salary Cap Update: 2012-13 Training Camp Edition

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BimaThug, Oct 1, 2012.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

2. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

3. Carl Herrera

Right, of course. Anyhow, I agree Morris' option should be picked up. As for Coal, he put up solid preseason numbers, but it scares me that Thabeet apparently beat him out for a backup spot.

4. clos4life

clos4life Member

Maybe Morey pushed for Cole, he did play pretty decent during the preseason and I wouldn't think of him as a deal breaker after all we gave up for Harden.

5. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

There had to be a salary match for what we sent out. In light of the picks we gave up, I am sure Morey did dictate for Cole and Cook to come this way.

I don't think Cole is going to make it however. I'm wondering if there's another move coming with Morey shipping a couple of these guys off for another player and a draft pick. Cole may still have first round trade value around the league.

6. BimaThug

Supporting Member

Aldrich and Hayward were either requested by the Rockets or, more likely, purposely dumped by OKC. Remember, the league mandates a 13-man roster, which is what OKC got their numbers down to after also waiving Rautins, Orton and Thompson earlier this weekend. This trade was an easy way to dump guaranteed contracts without having to eat their salaries.

Here's hoping that one or more of those guys (especially Aldrich) can actually be helpful to the Rockets this season.

P.S. If you read Woj's column about how the trade materialized, you'll see that the Thunder originally also demanded Parsons and a THIRD first rounder to get Harden. Morey actually had to negotiate DOWN to what the Rockets gave up. I'm not saying it wasn't still a boatload to give up, but it wasn't like Morey was the one dictating terms on what he got back (besides Harden) on this trade.

#86 BimaThug, Oct 28, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2012
  7. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

He sure looked good at KU but since he's been in the league he hasn't done anything. I'm a Jayhawk at heart so I always want those guys to succeed. However, after watching him in SL, it sure appeared to me that he wasn't going to be able to stick. He was having trouble finishing against rookies and free agents. I know he's got talent. And he's a good kid. I'm questioning whether he can put it together or not.

8. BimaThug

Supporting Member

Yeah, I think CH and HI Mana managed to convince me to go back on my prediction that the Rockets exercise their team option on Aldrich. My fear is that Aldrich goes on to have a very good season for Houston and that the Rockets are then capped at offering Cole a starting salary of no more than $3.25M, allowing other teams to easily poach him off the roster as an unrestricted free agent.

9. Carl Herrera

Bima, u sure about the deal can be done with just Harden and Cook?

Seems you would come up one million dollar short of Martin+Lamb.

10. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Lost in all this, at least for me, is how this trade affects the cuts down to 15.

BTW - - I was absolutely certain Harden would fulfill the season in OKC with them on the cusp of championship contention.

11. BimaThug

Supporting Member

Yeah, I deleted that first part from my post as soon as I realized that.

Harden/Cook for Martin works. Aldrich for Lamb works as separate deal. Hayward was gratuitous salary.

12. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Bima,

So Im under the impression that if the Rockets do not work out an extension before Oct 31st then he will become a RFA at the end of the season, but the Rockets will lose an extra year off of him being under contract.

Im sure Harden wouldn't appreciate it, but wouldn't it make more sense financially to let him play out the season, and just plan on matching an offer next Summer?

13. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

lol, it only ended up taking like 90 minutes. that's some dedication.

14. BimaThug

Supporting Member

Don't think the Rockets lose a year by waiting. There is some merit to waiting until next summer, matching another team's max offer, and ending up paying Harden LESS than what Rockets otherwise would be asked to fork over.

However, you risk either (a) ruffling feathers with Harden right off the bat and creating friction with your new franchise player or (b) Harden deciding to just accept the Rockets' qualifying offer next summer and bolting as an UNRESTRICTED free agent in 2014.

15. dobro1229

Not to get off subject, but why do you think Eric Gordon did not accept the Hornets qualifying offer last season to become a UFA in 2013 then? It didn't seem like he was overly excited to stay in New Orleans in the first place. Seems counterintuitive when he could have bolted after this season to sign as an UFA with someone like Dallas this Summer.

Regardless, the ruffling the feathers notion probably wouldn't be the best way to start off a relationship with your new star player. I was just curious why its just assumed they would work out a max extension in just 48 hours rather than waiting out the season to match an offer.

16. HI Mana

HI Mana Member

Games missed for James Harden in the last 3 years: 10.

Games missed for Eric Gordon in the last 3 years: 113.

Gordon absolutely needed to strike while the iron was hot.

17. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Well said. While I'm still trying to "catch up" on details (relatives visiting!), when I heard the quote from Harden saying he was signing a contract with Houston, I assumed a max deal for 5 years. You sum up why that makes sense, IMO. What a freakin' great move by Morey. I'm still kinda in shock.

18. AB83Rules

AB83Rules Member

Want to say Bima you are awesome for being able to breakdown the NBA Salary Cap. I do work for a NFL Website that is for fantasy like game with Salary Cap numbers, I compile them in a worksheet, actual player numbers, and I know the NFL Cap, but the NBA Cap is like foreign language to me. Just saying you are great at this.

Also I can't believe we have enough for another Max guy next year, plus have Lin, Asik, Parsons, Jones, D-Mo, Patterson on the books, amazing wwork by Morey and company.

19. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Aldrich option is a tough call, IMO.

20. dobro1229

To me its not knowing this front office.

-Look, is Aldrich a future franchise cornerstone?

-Is the most important goal right for the front office to keep themselves in a position to make that secondary move to solidify a core to move forward with?

IMO, its no, and yes. Backup centers are nice to have, but it pales in comparison to having the flexibility to go after another max contract player. Picking up the option for Aldrich isn't the end of the world to cap flexibility, but if come February someone like LaMarcus Adridge(the good Aldridge) just so happens to come available at the last minute, having as many contract expire at the end of this season as possible will be key in making a deal.

Flexibility is still key, and if anything adding Harden makes that flexibility even MORE important now to make that second move. Aldrich on a one year expiring is worth more going into February than he would be on a contract that expires at the end of next season.

Aldrich will not be extended.