1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Truehoop] Winston Garland - The Spirit of Game 7

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by CDrex, Oct 23, 2012.

1. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

http://youtu.be/pEGvKVNoJ8E?t=16m12s

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/pEGvKVNoJ8E?start=984" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/50511/the-ghost-of-game-7

Cool little story there.

1 person likes this.
  2. Know Your Role

He was trying to get a Sonics defender to come over to him and open up one of the 5 players actually in the game. Considering some of the things done in the NBA in that era I applaud his effort.

3. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Man, could you have imagined the mass cutting by Houston sports fans that would have happened had we made a shot there and it been negated due to this? Just four months after the Bills game?

4. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

If you read the article, it pointed out that the rule at the time was a technical free throw for having six players on the floor, and, had Garland made a 3, they couldn't have negated it.

5. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

dude that was hard to see on game speed. I had to watch it frame by frame.
    nobody noticed including the announcers.

6. Roxnostalgia

Roxnostalgia Contributing Member

I have no recollection of this:confused:

7. tinman

Supporting Member

of game 7 or garland?
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/pEGvKVNoJ8E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

8. Roxnostalgia

Roxnostalgia Contributing Member

Garland. It's there, clear as the Jazz clock operator and I've never seen it.

9. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

Yep, very interesting...if it had worked out such that it created an open 3, they might have called a tech but by the rule book, it couldn't have been overturned and the tech free throw would still leave the Sonics down 1.

10. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

The Rockets hosted a watch party at the Summit to watch that Game 7 with other Rocket fans. I went with a few friends of mine. I remember Winston Garland, but I don't remember this story at all.

11. arjun

arjun Member

wow....shocking.

12. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

I remember Winston Garland, but like others, I never knew about him being on the floor, I actually watched the video first before reading the article and was thinking

"Why in the hell would Garland be in the game at this crucial situation?"

Had to watch it 3 times too figure out what the article said. Would've been funny if he did hit a 3.

13. tinman

Supporting Member

This was the same year we got screwed by the refs vs the Spurs with homecourt on the line.

http://www.chron.com/CDA/archives/a...ts-to-delegate-basketball-duties-for-now.html

Last season, the Rockets lost the final game of the season on a disputed tip-in by San Antonio's David Robinson. The loss ended up costing the Rockets the home-court advantage in the second round of the playoffs against Seattle, a series in which the home team won every game.

14. rtsy

rtsy Member

The Sonics played illegal defense on every play - double-teaming Dream before he got that ball anyway. So F them.

15. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

kemp was a beast

16. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I remember this very clearly, but few do. The tip-in was clearly after the buzzer.

Should have been a three-peat.

17. cuneo77

cuneo77 Contributing Member

i remember, im still bitter haha

18. cuneo77

cuneo77 Contributing Member

go back to the beginning of the video, announcers were saying the suns would rather play the sonics....thats whats up! go rockets! i think we woulda three peated had we won this game..

19. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

So bizarre. I remember that game/play but had NO idea that that happened until 18 years later. I guess because no Rockets fan had reason to watch it again.
    Looks like the Rockets floor spacing on that last play wasn't that great since the Sonics managed a triple team without ceding too many open players (Great job collapsing by the Sonics though). Also looks like Hakeem wasn't close enough to the baseline as he liked to be which would have left more open shooters. The pass to Horry over the top of Perkins etc doesn't seem very high percentage despite what the article says. But leaving only an un-set Mad Max wide open on a difficult catch is probably exactly the shot Seattle wanted. I guess Max could have tried to swing it over to Bull but that's just not the way he was wired. Frankly Hakeem just forcing one up immediately rather than waiting for the triple team was probably the best move.

#19 SamFisher, Oct 24, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2012
  20. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

i think he's clearly just getting drawn by the moment and has no perception he's actually on the court. Just got carried away and blanked out, like a fan would.
    Still, it's hilarious.
    And if he gets the board and puts it back, the worst that can happen is an overtime.