1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets Media Day 2012

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Oct 1, 2012.

Tags:
  1. J.R.

J.R. Member

790 interviews(not that great TBH)

Jeremy Lamb:
    -Coach Calhoun said do what's best. He told me that he felt I could go in and play. He also told me another year wouldn't hurt. At the end of the day, I made a decision and he was supportive. He told me what to look out for, what I needed to do and gave me advice on the next level.

-(You're one of 3 first round picks. Did you think you were going to stay?): We made jokes about it when we heard we might get traded and whole team is leaving. I told Jones that we're about to go to Orlando. ... I thought there was a chance but didn't know for sure.

-My mindset hasn't changed too much. When I got drafted here, I wasn't set. Trade talks were happening before I was settled. When I realized I was here and this was the team I was gonna play for, I took the approach of work hard, arrive early and stay late and give it all I got.

-(Hybrid player or one position player?): I can see myself playing a little one, a little two, but not just one position. I think I can range from the 1 to the 3.

(How much PG did you run?): Not too much. Freshman year, when they keyed in on Kemba, I would run a little PG and some last year.

-We have a good relationship(w/ McHale). He cares about his players. He would tell me good game but this is what you need to work on. We talk often. He dwells on the things I need to work on. Leading up to this, he was pushing us to work hard and going into TC, wants us to be ready to work. We have to outwork our opponents. He told us to come in and work hard and give it all we got.

-(Can you take on the identity of this franchise or be that go to guy?): Right now, I'm just trying to learn the NBA game, learn from the vets. Right now, not thinking about that aspect. If it happens, that would be great. Right now, that isn't a focal point for me. I'm trying to give the team what I got, playing D and see where it goes.

-(Who do you emulate your game after?): That's a tough question for me. Don't think I'm like one player. I think I'll be one of the top scorers at my position but I think I can take a little from different players: Ray Allen shooting threes & Rip Hamilton coming off screens. Also gotta play some defense.

-My twitter account is @jlamb. It's simple. Follow me on twitter. I don't tweet a lot. If you want to see tweets, don't follow me. If I see my follows going up, I'll tweet.

Pat Patterson:
    -(Ravens guy?): I am. I've been a Ravens fan the past 4 years.

-(You're the vet. Can you believe that?): I got to handle it. I have no other choice. We have so many young guys. We do have some experience but still young.

-(Have you gone against Asik?): Yeah. Against Chicago last year, he got a rebound and dunked it on us(Dalembert and me). He's a great defensive player.

-(Safe to say he's offensively challenged?): He's not known for his offense. That's what Coach McHale is for. His offensive game is improving and getting better. He didn't have to showcase it in Chicago.

(Goal to raise your points per game?): Yeah. The goal is to get up in the 14/15 (ppg) range and 6/7 (rebounds) range.

-(Adding Kentucky players to the roster. Has he bugged you?): Funny thing, Terrence lives right now to me. We have a townhouse complex and he's literally my neighbor. We drive the same cars but different colors. We have the same house and same car. He asked if he could use my iron and TV. I love it. He's like my little brother. My rookie year it was Chuck. Even Brad Miller and Kyle Lowry. Now, I'm the one getting the texts.

(Who else texts you?): Him, Scott Machado, even Chandler.

-(What should we expect this year?): Play hard every game, a lot of excitement and fun, and improve on what we did last year.

-(Hard to talk about last year with the roster change?): We've made so many changes since my rookie year but they're definitely trying to put us in the right direction.

-(Does Jeremy ask for advice?): He goes to Chandler but we're all cool.

-I need more followers, especially on Instagram. I tweet great stuff. I'll speak my mind. $25K to comment on the refs. I made a comment and got hit by the fines. Keith Jones puts a red slip in the locker. It's taken right out of paycheck. ... I'm trying to get to 150K followers.

Marcus Morris
    -(How many jerseys do you own?): 2--Thomas Robinson and Markieff Morris.

-(Does you wear the jerseys?): I don't wear it, just own them.

-(Did you get along 100% with your brother?): We get along real well. Never fight.

-They talk almost every day.

-He has forgotten about his rookie year already. "It's over."

-Big difference between the D-League and NBA. "Everything. Speed of the game, strength, the talent of the guys, big difference."

-Worked on getting in better shape in the offseason. "These are some of the best athletes in the world." "I still eat the same but work out more."

-(Where do you want to be? 3 or 4?): I'm a three. Not a question. A lot of fans will see that this year. I'm a three.

-Spent the offseason in Houston, Philly, and DC area.

-(Do you feel you have a better chance to get in the rotation this year?): I'm gonna do what I need to do to get in the rotation. I'm past my rookie year. Ready to get started this year.

Donatas Motiejunas
    -Stayed one more year in Europe because of the lockout.

-Always dreamed of playing in the NBA.

-Sabonis was his guy growing up. "He was a great player." As soon as he stopped playing, Luis Scola.

-It was a tough season before the draft. "I think I bring more confidence than before. That was the main thing missing. I knew I could be better. I keep pushing myself to work harder."

-Coach is a good coach, he knows how to put the team in position. ... Most important job is for the team to grow and get better.

-Has no family here.

Coach McHale
    -He went to his lake home in Minnesota in August. "It gets testy here in August." "We've been at it the last 3 weeks with the guys."

-League allows 3 on 3, 2 on 2, conditioning, individual stuff. It's a negotiated thing. It's odd that the PA is so willing to negotiate the lack of work for their people. You get better at basketball by playing and practicing. A bunch of odd rules. When I played, TC was longer and no restrictions. We didn't have water breaks. We had 20 straight 2-a-days. Now, you can't have more than two two-a-days in a row. It's different.

-We've been doing a lot of conditioning. Camp starts tomorrow. We'll find out.

-(3 starting spots open or more or less?): Open for all five. We have almost an entire new team. We'll see who plays well together, who will win spots. It's wide open. We're bringing back only 2 guys who were playing at the end of last year in Parsons and Patterson and 4 guys who were here last year. The league gives you a bunch of stuff, too much money, etc. They don't give you wins and respect. You have to earn that. Guys ask "What is my role?". I don't know. Who will play best? Who will play hardest and make their teammates better. You got to the NBA because you have talent. You didn't wake up one morning and decide to play in the NBA. You wouldn't get here if you weren't good. How good you make others, that's what its about. If you want to be great, you have to push your team to win. LeBron got that last year.

-(Any restrictions for Lin?): A little bit. We'll be careful. He's not 100% right now. Where he's at, I don't know. I'm guessing he'll have a day or a session out here and there. He's been busting it hard. We'll be smart with him.

Gary Forbes
    -He feels no pressure(on being the return for Lowry).

-That's the plan(on being here). I'm ready to settle down.

-He was getting a chicken salad, and seen it in the restaurant. Saw it on the ticker. My agent called me at the same time. 3rd team in the 3 years, I think this is it.

-Says he's versatile. I've played 1-4 throughout my career. I can defend. You have to defend. It's a pride thing. I've played the one. Jumper is money. Not worried about rookies trying to take potential playing time from him.

-Gerrson Rosas called him. I'm familiar with the Rockets, played SL here 2 years ago, they called me and said they're happy to have me. Time heals old wounds. Happy to be here. Great organization and coach. Young team, players with a lot to prove.

Terrence Jones
    -No NFL team that he's rooting for. Just like watching. Trying to pick a team but waiting until the playoffs.

-Pat (Patterson) wanted me close because he said he needed my guidance. He got the same car as me because he knew I was getting it.

-(Thought you were drafted to be here?): I was too excited to think about anything else(trades). Before SL, I didn't think we were all going to stay. After SL, I thought we were all here to stay.

-He tries to come early and get in as much work as possible and learn from the vets.

Jeremy Lin
    -Doing great. Feeling good. Always soreness but nothing bad.

-(Any limitations?): Depends on how I feel but for the most part, I'm feeling good. We'll be in communication.

-(Caught the new billboards?): Saw one while driving. Kinda awkward. Weird to see me.

-Says he's not ready to be the savior.

-Ever since the game against the Nets, we'd walk into the facility and have breakfast and ESPN was always on. I ate breakfast in my locker. Never wanted to hear about it. If you watch yourself too much, it builds complacency and satisfaction and takes my edge down a bit.

-(You're back here, you could've been here all along. Glad you went away for awhile to show what you could do?): I needed to go to NY. That was God's plan. The opportunity there was awesome. The style and everything, going there and playing and being able to have a better season than my rookie year, it was necessary.

-(What did you take away from your time in camp here?): I think the system. Some of the plays are similar; the ones we ran in TC and the ones in NY. Playing with speed, pushing the ball, getting those reps. Something else was Coach McHale's philosophy. The things he says, the principles he teaches, I couldn't agree more with.

-We're still young and new. A lot of inexperience and uncertainty but this week will be awesome. Getting in the gym and seeing what people can do to start building our foundation and culture.

-(How do worry about (or) balance Lin the player to Lin the endorsement player/person?): My passion is basketball. That's what I love doing. From marketing, I'm doing things that I'm interested in but won't jeopardize my on court performance. I've hired some people to help me.

Daryl Morey & Kevin Martin
    -(Best friends again?): Martin: Had lunch last week.

-(Martin): I walked in last week and thought it was July. A lot of new faces but we've put in a lot of hard work. More on my shoulders this year. A challenge but up for it.

-(Morey): Kevin the hardest worker in the offseason. He worked day in and day out.

-(Martin): Worked out with David Thorpe in Tampa. Just me and him. I keep adding to my game. Not one specific thing.

-(Morey): It was tough last year. The players didn't get to be familiar with the coaching staff. This year a full training camp. We have ? marks up and down the roster but they can turn into positives.

-(Martin on what the young guys are asking him): What's the difference in games, how hard is TC?

(A lot of people looking at you and Lin. How long does it take to mesh with a PG?): Me and Kyle it was right away. Me and Aaron a couple of games(because of an in-season trade). Me and Jeremy have the same story. No one thought we could/would be here. We have the same drive. We'll pick up very quickly and both need to carry a big load. Excited to be in the backcourt with him.

-(Point where the rookies asked if we're staying?): (Morey)This is our group. We're excited for these guys to emerge to hopefully into an impact player. You have more uncertainty by not being a championship contender but that's part of the NBA. It is uncomfortable at times but we're uncertain by design.

Chandler Parsons:
    -Got his degree from telecommunications from Florida.

-(You became a star quickly. What did you do that made your transition easy?): My work ethic. I prided myself on the defensive end. The harder I worked and my hustle, coaches respected that and got me in the lineup right away.

-Went to France for 2 months(last year w/ lockout). Gave me an advantage because I was able to stay in shape and play professional ball.

-Huge honor for me(Kobe talking nice about me). To be on the same court with him and guard him and the things he said, it was special to me.

-I worked on a lot of aspects of my game. Strength, I'll be able to post up smaller guys when I go to the four. And my shooting. My FT shooting wasn't good, (called it embarrassing) and my 3 pt shooting. I need to be above 75%(FT).

-I like the new flopping rules. I was never one to flop.

-Ginobili and Parker flop a little but not a flaw to their game. Something that is smart and people can use. Not a big fan of it but you gotta do what you gotta do to get the call sometimes.

-We have a young team. Like an AAU team, where we all carpool together.

-No expectations, no pressure, that's fine. We know how talented we are and how hard we work.

-(Someone you're excited to face?): Excited I get to go to Orlando twice.

-Say's he's closer to 6'10 than 6'9.

2 people like this.
  2. I'm Tom Brady

I'm Tom Brady Member

Ahh, I found it, for Comcast users the channel is 639

3. mgpwr

mgpwr Member

Yeah, totally surprised that Morris was so honest. Good for him. The sooner that he acknowledged this reality (whether he admits it aloud or not), the better it is for his growth as a person and as a player.

The pronunciation of Omer's last name is "Ah-shik". When he was signed, there was a talk show that actually discussed how his last name was mispronounced as people were saying "Ah-sheek" - can't find this broadcast now, but here's Morey pronouncing Omer's last name (right at the beginning of the video):

http://www.nba.com/rockets/video/originals

1 person likes this.
  4. J.R.

J.R. Member

5. mgpwr

mgpwr Member

6. josephnicks

josephnicks Member

love the set, looks like something a city with a large MSA should have..

7. josephnicks

josephnicks Member

8. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Check out the rook @<a href="https://twitter.com/_scottmachado">_scottmachado</a> looking fresh for his first plane ride. <a href="http://t.co/MherkEi0" title="http://twitter.com/ChandlerParsons/status/252850313558634496/photo/1">twitter.com/ChandlerParson…</a></p>&mdash; Chandler Parsons (@ChandlerParsons) <a href="https://twitter.com/ChandlerParsons/status/252850313558634496" data-datetime="2012-10-01T19:19:47+00:00">October 1, 2012</a></blockquote>
    <script src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

9. SaoPaolo

SaoPaolo Member

where is Royce White???????

10. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

NO ROYCE WHTIE!

11. CXbby

CXbby Member

For as much as McHale is seen as "disgruntled" and "complaining about the youth" around here, he sure seems "engaged" and "committed" when he speaks. I guess that is the difference between someone who, while still retaining his own opinions and brutal honesty, is "on board" with the organization, as opposed to the other guy who is "outta here".

For as bad of a fit as McHale is made out to be for a rebuilding youthful roster, his energy, charisma, and leadership is exactly what this team needs.

#51 CXbby, Oct 1, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2012
  12. stl1622dc

stl1622dc Member

Royce White demanded his own media day. Everyone agreed.

[​IMG]

13. mgpwr

mgpwr Member

LOL Like that he's being a good sport for wearing the Hello Kitty knapsack (but I guess all the rooks have no choice). Would love to see how they all interact - feeling the good vibes already. Definitely going to be a fun team to watch!

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

15. mgpwr

mgpwr Member

I like his sarcasm, too. But what I really like about him is whenever I've heard him talk about players, he always seems to provide specific, concrete info or advice, as opposed to making more generalized comments. I think that's where his experience as an NBA champion/HOF pays off. Also, people need to remember that Mchale is fairly new to coaching. He's only finished his third year, so he too is learning in terms of player relations/coaching.

16. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

This is the most boring media day ever, very disappointing.

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

18. Rocket_4_Life

Rocket_4_Life Member

They cutoff Kevin before he could answer "In all reality, how good can this team be?"

19. onreego

onreego Member

I've noticed you're very negative.

20. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Here's to hoping Kevin Martin isn't upset about last year's trade... really like his play... not a clutch guy but man he's a scorer... and yeah it's hilarious that he was overlooked with that parsons comment.