1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets History: Robert Horry, Matt Bull nearly traded in '94 for Sean Elliot

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by htownbandit, Sep 23, 2012.

1. htownbandit

htownbandit Rookie

2. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

Elliott was clearly better than Horry. But Horry created bigger mismatches.
    Didn't he start the stretch 4 trend in the 95 WCF?

Look back on that series, trade Horry for Elliott, and I'm not so sure we win that series.

Horry EXPLOITED Rodman.

No way we contain Rodman without Horry.

Also, we didn't need playmakers under Rudy ball, we needed people to hit the open shot when Dream got doubled, which Horry not only did, but thrived.

Watching old footage, Horry was a defensive beast in his Rocket days.(His athleticism seemed to decline fast.) We couldn't fully appreciate it because we were spoiled by Dream.

I didn't mean to rant so much but for the first time in my life, I'm thinking that maybe we would not have been better off with the best player.

I'm impressed with winners, and since I've been alive, nobody has won more rings than Horry.

Most people don't remember Horry as an amazing dunker, but his first few seasons as a Rocket the dude soared. He seemed to lose that faster than others.

3. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

This **** isn't obscure.

If you know your Rockets history, you know this story.

A lot of people know this story.

4. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

There should be a poll about it.

5. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I remember whichever station was carrying the Rockets interviewed Elliot in his Houston hotel room the evening after the trade. He was very subdued and didn't seem happy at all to be here. His feelings seemed hurt. The vibe was not good.

I also remember reading in the newspaper Horry promised to drop 30 on the Rockets next time he played them.

IIRC, one of the reasons Bullard was included is because he publicly criticized Rudy's offense as being too simplistic and basic. That was a no-no.

6. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

I admire the OP's spirit.

7. MambaJoe

MambaJoe Member

I think Horry lost his athleticism fast because he got lazy and gain some weight and just settled as a clutch shooter.

8. Good Times

Good Times Member

Horry was definitely a high flyer in his younger days, I remember when he had 10 dunks in just one game in his early Houston days - it was like watching NBA Jam in fire mode live.

9. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

1992 I believe, vs phoenix, christmas day. I was 11 and got a fiberglass backboard that day.

To this day, probably the best gift i've ever got.

10. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Horry used to get blocks all the time from the backside.

11. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

What do you mean almost? They were traded. Horry still owns the Detroit jersey he never officially wore...

12. clubberclyde

clubberclyde Member

"Insert Clyde Drexler laugh"

13. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

Actually, I bet most of us old-timers will remember Horry as someone who never lived up to that "high flying" reputation. There were probably thousands of calls into 610 (in the early 90s) about Horry falling in love with shooting the three...and no one could ever explain why he just didn't drive to the hole and throw down more often. Of course, some of this might be how Rudy wanted the offense ran...and once it was obvious that Horry could shoot decently from the outside, he might've been instructed to float around the perimeter and help on defense by dropping down (which afforded plenty of opportunities for backside blocks). All-in-all, I think he could've been much more of a above-the-rim specimen than he and/or the Rockets ever allowed him to be.

14. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Horrry's potential was over-inflated because of his limber athleticism & length, and from how he "defined" a new role as a stretch power forward for a championship team.

There was talk of the "next Scottie Pippen" that was ridiculous. Horry was a CENTER in college. Horry never had good handles to create offense, just marginally good enough for an occassional slash to the rim.

He was good on entry passes into the post, an underrated skill. Especially considering lack of post players today. But overall he wasnt a facilitator with the ball that you can run an offense through. Pretty much Sean Elliott was closer to that "Scottie Pippen" role.

STILL, Horry had useful attributes on the court. Length, versatile help defense, outside shot, IQ. Yes he coulda been a better used above-the-rim player. The lobs are a more vital part of an offense now. But 2 championships in Houston with what he already was, will take that lol

#14 Shroopy2, Sep 24, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2012
  15. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Horry had said in interviews that he changed because of this trade.

When he came back, he lost his hesitancy to shoot. Thus became the legend.

Also, this was good news for Elliot that he found out he had a kidney problem so he could take of his health. I think he got a transplant from his brother.

16. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

I met him at a charity event in Tucson. He said that was single handedly the worst year of his life. He hated Detroit and he hated the notion of being a Rocket equally as much if not more so. He's a nice guy, but he seriously loves the city of San Antonio a hell of a lot.

17. JLOBABYDADDY

JLOBABYDADDY Member

Not obscure at all. Remember it well. I was glad it fell through at the time. I think I was 16 or 17.

18. DorianTurk

DorianTurk Member

now thats something i didnt know...appreciate it man

19. htownbandit

htownbandit Rookie

According to an interview he said he rejoiced being part of the Rockets. But he was angry and frustrated over his kidney problem and failing the physical, which of course led to the trade veto.