1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

SA Express News: Career backup assistant exec Hennigan not that well regarded

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Carl Herrera, Aug 11, 2012.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

2. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

The guy is a 30-year old NBA GM. I'm still impressed.

3. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

I'm sure Magic fans would like to be impressed by his roster moves, not by his age.

4. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Weaver must not interview well. I'm very surprised he wasn't plucked last year or before. His time will come.

5. da_juice

da_juice Member

Perhaps, JuanValdez's theory is correct. Hennigan is the fall guy to all the blame of losing Howard, and a more qualified guy (like Weaver) will take over.

Who ever ends up overseeing this team, the GM's going to need to be someone who find diamonds in the rough like Buford, Morey, Kupchak. That's the difference between good management and bad management, and it's even more vital for a team that's in a less attractive destination.

6. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

That theory (if your post is accurate) sounds completely stupid. The bridge with Howard was completely burnt well before Hennigan was hired. The Magic didn't want a "fall guy", they wanted someone to maximize their long-term talent haul in exchange for Howard. That obviously didn't happen and they bungled it completely. The franchise is the laughing stock of the NBA right now.

Give me break.

7. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

Speaking of former assistant execs, I recently listened to a Dennis Lindsey interview in which he touched on the Gay/Battier trade.

While he did not go into specifics about who was in charge he said something along the lines that he and Morey -- "who was my (his) partner in the front office back then" -- talked about what they were looking for to add to the roster and ultimately decided that Shane was the way to go.
    Now, this doesn't mean that Morey made the final call, but he at the very least seemed to have great input in the decision.
    Just FYI for those saying Daryl wasn't the GM back then and thus this trade shouldn't be part of his GMing record.

http://c296307.r7.cf1.rackcdn.com/lockedonjazz/files/2012/08/lindsey-koc-combo1.mp3 starts at 5:32

8. SkyrimOwnsAll

SkyrimOwnsAll Member

NBA GM doesnt mean anymore... Steve Kerr was a GM recently, and Shaq was offered to be the GM of the Magic recently

9. jdh008

jdh008 Member

I think Hennigan is an easy target at this point because of how the Howard situation went down, but I will say this. I've been kind of waiting for the worm to turn on the trend of wunderkin general managers. Ever since the Red Sox hired Theo Epstein, it has been a relative arms race among pro sports franchises to hire these young GMs.

Certainly some of these guys have proven to be ready, Epstein included, but not every bright, handsome, Ivy League educated front office executive is going to end up being a quality GM. Again, not necessarily saying that Hennigan is the proof that these guys have jumped the shark, but it does make me think about that.

10. Carl Herrera

^^ you gotta give Les credit for not being a blind follower, then: he clearly didn't hire the handsome one.

11. rocketjunkie

rocketjunkie Member

I talked to someone who was basically as highly placed or close and he told me something similar. He made it clear the barrier trade was a money all move and les needed to be convinced because Shane had low stats.

12. rlmjdime

rlmjdime Member

13. Carl Herrera

Landing Shane was not a mistake. The problem is Daryl never got Shane a proper supporting cast. Shane found a decent one in Miami and promptly won a title.

1 person likes this.
  14. rlmjdime

rlmjdime Member

We were just one all-star away from a championship :grin:

15. rolyat93

Lebron stole Finals MVP away from Battier.

16. youngshev03

youngshev03 Member

Everyone is mad because he didn't trade Howard here. Maybe he is the smart one out of this entire ordeal. Why try to make a trade to keep you in the playoffs when you can attempt to get a top 3 pick and jump start the rebuilding process. Maybe he learned from other franchises that either you rebuild through the draft or free agency. Some teams can only build through the draft and Orlando is one of them. They weren't going to be able to trade for a star, unless you count Bynum as that. I don't.

17. rolyat93

If he wants to lose, why did he take back Afflalo, if he wanted cap relief why did he take back Harrington and keep Turk. If he wanted picks, why did he only receive lotto protected picks from most likely playoff teams.

18. youngshev03

youngshev03 Member

So in your opinion, this Orlando team is good? They still are way under the cap by the way. They will also have a high pick of their own because the team is trash. You really think Affalo makes this team a contender?

19. Rodman23

Rodman23 .GIF

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. DimeDropper

DimeDropper Member

Yes, with LeBron, Wade and Bosh as support players, Battier was able to carry a team to the trophy.