1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who's ready to watch a young team with POTENTIAL?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rolyat93, Jul 5, 2012.

?

Are you happy about the Rockets new direction

1. No, we had a shot at Howard.

3.8%
  2. Yes, we've needed a direction for a while.

66.2%
  3. No, I don't like to rebuild

5.5%
  4. Depends on what they do from here.

24.5%
  1. nejyh

nejyh Contributing Member

Of course they tried to send him to the teams with cap space for picks, but it couldn't have been done. They didn't want to trade him for contracts in return, tying up the cap space, so letting him go for nothing was best for the rebuilding plan.

2. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

Lin fits in the rebuilding mode, he is younger than the point guards we had. We knew what we could expect from them, Lin will develop. Maybe he will not develop the way we want, but than we can trade him, or let him go (contract is only 3 years, rebuilding wil be longer than that).

We didn't let Lowry go for nothing, we got a good lottery pick for him. Which is what you do when you rebuild. You trade veterans for picks.

We let Dragic go because he wanted to have a fourth year player option (not smart if you are rebuilding and want to be flexible). He is also older than Lin.

We actually got draft picks for other veterans who we were losing (Lee and Camby).

We also had to get rid of Scola, since he played the same position as our talented young players, and they eeded playing time. I love Scola but this was also a good move.

Asik is also a relative young player who can still develop, and similar to Lin is he doesn't pan out he will be gone within 3 years.

I would say we are rebuilding in a exellent way.

3. getbloodyred

getbloodyred Member

i don't mean to be a downer, but i just want to ask people a question that has been asked before. build from within vs build through trade/agency?

for a while now, i've considered myself to be with the train of thought in which rebuilding through developing your own young players is the best way to rebuild.
    but after some stat searching, i've found some things out. there are 22 currently active players that have averaged more than 19 points per game throughout their career, and so we can call them "stars". out of these 22 players, only 10 of them still remain with the team they played for in their rookie season. i didn't count brandon roy, because he came out of retirement, but if you count him, then only 9 still remain with the team they played for in their rookie year. 9 out of 22, that's a 41% chance that stars stay with their first team. and 4 of those 9 have played less than 5 seasons in the NBA, so they haven't even gotten the chance to go to other teams really. so in reality the chance of a star remaining with their first time is anywhere from 22% to 41%. honestly, those are not numbers i am very confident in. the players who left, either left through free agency (lebron, amar'e, etc.) or through trade (carmelo, t-mac)..but majority of players left through free agency. now let's say Lamb becomes a star, for sake of argument, there's a damn good chance of him leaving Houston right before his prime (arenas), during his prime (d12), or after it, (allen, garnett). that being said, i think drafting and developing is a very risky strategy. because chances are, that player will leave your team unless he is 100% satisfied with his current situation (kobe). therefore i believe it's safer to trade and sign free agents, because there's less of a flight risk. and not to mention, developing takes time, lamb may not be a star for another couple of years, maybe more. whereas, trading for a star will get you A STAR, that has already proved himself and is ready to contribute as soon as he hits the floor.
    just my two cents, i'm not really sure which boat i'm on in terms of method of rebuilding, but im starting to lean on the side of trading and free agency. that being said, if you're on the other boat, I recommend you try not to become too attached with our rookies, because chances are they won't be here in a few years.

4. c1utchfan925

c1utchfan925 Contributing Member

I'd rather have a team of almost entirely made up of rookies than a team stacked with above average players barely sneaking into the playoffs and getting eliminated from the playoffs (think Memphis w/ Pau Gasol as fanchise player) time and time again.

We tried to stay competitive while we rebuild but that hasn't worked. It's time start in a new direction.

5. nbafever

nbafever Member

I'm okay with watching the young guys play. Much better than watch a group of role players play hard then just miss out on playoffs three years in a row.

6. nbafever

nbafever Member

The season hasn't started yet and you immediately declare them to have no potential. Look at how Parsons and Lin broke out last year. It takes hard work and the right set of circumstances.

I'd rather watch this group of guys compete and develop then trot out a disgruntled Howard or Bynum. Right from the start, he would not mesh with the young guys.

Sorry, Lakers, you still cannot beat the superteam of the Heat.

7. aball1991

aball1991 Member

See Charlotte Bobcats.

8. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Yawn. Wake me up in a couple of years. I reckon I'll wake up to the Lakers, Heat, and Thunder being the only true title contenders.

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Sadly the Thunder are the feel good story among those

10. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

In response to the apparently finalized DH trade the Lakers, I say: Good.

Now the Rocket's can get on with their full rebuilding plan, with their current base of young talent in tact.

At some point this season, the Rockets will trade Kevin Martin, probably for another late first round draft pick. Then with no solid veterans on this team, the coming season is likely to be a long one. But I will enjoy watching the youngsters grow and develop.

After that, the Rockets should have two high first round picks and a low first round pick in next year's draft. By this time next year we should have a preliminary sense of what the new Rockets team will be shaping up to look like.

Full speed ahead.

11. djohn2o12

djohn2o12 Member

****ing losers. There's a reason Houston always has a town full of losing teams.

12. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

My team is bad and I feel bad.

13. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I agree 100 % ...Les should have greenlighted it back then.

And while I'd like to believe we're actually going to rebuild, giving the Rockets players and fans a chance to grow together ....having the staff instill that winning culture from the ground up ...Giving DM room to do his thing with Les margin for error.....

Les's MO will likely spur DM to make the moves to "compete" sooner rather than later.

14. Firebomb525

Firebomb525 Member

I hope Hennigan watches the Rockets this year.

I hope his eyes are glued to his 60' flatscreen HD-3D TV when Lamb crossovers Kobe Bryant, and nails a three right in his eye. I want him to stare as he sees Motiejunas does a damn Lithuanian Limbo (INB4 Worrell uses this) on Howard, completely losing him and throws it in with a nice hook shot. I want him to have mouth agape when Royce White steals the ball from Artest, runs down the court and slams it in to the roars of the Toyota Center. I want him to finally see what's he has done when Terrence Jones raises up and blocks Gasol at the apex of his shot, slamming that ball into the 5th row. To look at the NBA standings and see Toronto is out of the playoffs, sweat upon his brow.

And then, only then, will he have the permission to realize how bad he ****ed up.

Time to let the rooks, Lin, and Asik shine. The Dwightmare is finally over.

15. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

You know Hennigan is Orlando's GM?

16. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Lol. All that for nothing. Smh

17. ejarts

ejarts Member

wow. we should've at least tried to get bynum. to much sacrificed for this and ended up with nothing. now we have so many picks. we can't just draft players every year and there's only a handful of superstars.

the only way we can matter is develop complete teamwork like the Detroit pistons vs LA a few years ago. we need LARRY BROWN. get rid of machale!!

18. PooleBoi7

PooleBoi7 Member

At least we're not buying our way to the finals like the LA Fakers and Miami Hoes....I'd rather lose in dignity....

OK I'm hating....lol

19. Shirt Off

Shirt Off Member

this board is going to be hilarious next year when lin flames out, the rookies are playing dreadful and the Lakers are challenging the Bulls 72-10 record

you guys are so cute
    lol@small market fanbases

20. Cobalt

Cobalt Member

I've actually been a Rockets fan for a long time and would read threads on this forum for awhile. I never made an account because I didn't feel the need to post, but I am actually really excited about the potential of our players and feel like watching everyone develop is better than watching us get another 14th pick.