1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2013 Draft Implications

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jfwebre87, Jul 31, 2012.

1. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

This will be a much weaker draft than 2012. Don't see anything special about it. Plus, we alraedy have Toronto's pick in tow. No need to tank a season when we don't have to.

2. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

Actually, in my opion, it's quite the opposite. If the rookies are good, that means they are as good as gone next year. We are not rebuilding, Leslie wants a championship and no way he will settle next year for youngsters when he has a chance to pair one or two of our rookies from this year + the Toronto pick for a star and sign a star free agent. So I hope the rookies will grow throughout the year but will not be great and we lose a lot.

3. primtim24

primtim24 Contributing Member

Chicago (is still a playoff team)
    Miami (Defending Champs)
    Boston (Still have Rondo and KG)
    New York Knicks (Have a solid starting 5 including the D.P.O.Y.)
    Brooklyn (Now have more than enough to make it to the playoffs in the East)
    Indiana (Roughly same team from last year that took Miami to 7 games)
    Philly (Didn't get any worse, still have a good young nucleus)
    Atlanta (Lost Joe Johnson, but still have a pretty solid front court + Teague)

I think the Eastern Conference playoffs will look exactly the same, minus Orlando swapping with Brooklyn....

Don't worry, it's virtually a lock that we'll get that lotto pick from Toronto this season

4. primtim24

primtim24 Contributing Member

I don't think the plan is to necessarily "tank a season", but I do think that they will lean towards playing the youngsters and letting them develop over trading them for a 2nd tier star (Joe Johnson, Danny Grainger etc..) just so they can say they made a move.

It's Superstar or bust. Either you trade for a top 15 player, or you sit idle and see what you have.

5. 123Rockets

123Rockets Member

Just waiting for 2014 draft...

Andrew Wiggins, Jabari Parker, the Harrison twins, Julius Randle, Kasey Hill....

6. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Im not sold on Chicago being a playoff team without Rose .... If they are its as a 7-8 seed.
    Miami - Top team in the east.
    Boston - Clear #2
    NYK - I have little faith in that team. They went long stretches with both Amare and Melo spending more time on the trainers table than on the court. Dont expect that to to get any better ,they were a fringe playoff team last year , I'll be surprised if they make it this year. Also downgraded at least one position.
    Indy - will fight Atlanta for the 3 seed.
    Atlanta - See above.
    Brooklyn .... Probably a playoff team with a healthy Lopez. Lottery team without.
    Philly - didnt get any better , got a year older.
    Toronto got significantly better , will have their #1 pick from last season , who didnt play - Valanciunas along with Lowry to upgrade two positions in the starting five.

I could easily see Toronto making the playoffs in the East ....

7. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

If we're not going to be at least a semi-contender (in play for West Finals), it's senseless to hand over our own pick. When we give it to ATL, I want it to be a near-worthless ~#24, not a near-lottery #15.

Even if YOU don't see anything special in the draft TODAY, before the college season has even kicked off, having a load of picks puts us in play for a big trade or a package to move up.

Drafts always gain value in March/April/May win the tourney sheds light on impressive unknowns from smaller programs and more reports come in about overseas prospects.

2013 won't be as deep as 2012, but I haven't seen any reason to expect a stinker like some of the early 2000s drafts.

8. jocar

jocar Member

http://nbadraft.net/2013mock_draft. Surprise, surprise we projected for another 6'9 forward.
    If we miss out on Zeller or Noel, I hope we can pick up James McAdoo, because his last name is fun to say

9. ClKent

ClKent Member

Right. One year can completely change everyone's feelings on the draft. There could be as many as 2 to 3 potential superstars added to each draft within a time of one full year of college action.

10. WNBA

WNBA Member

Tank is always the right way to go before you draft a superstar.

In summary, We will have to tank next two seasons.

The trade for a superstar thing is bogus. It will never happen.

11. RocketsFan69

RocketsFan69 Member

I think NYC and Phili will be good too and chicago can still make the first round so maybe the raptors with get the 8th seed.