1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

New arena approved for Seattle!!

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by rolyat93, Jul 30, 2012.

Tags:
?

Are you happy for the city of Seattle and (former)Sonics fans?

1. Yes.

150 vote(s)
    68.5%
  2. You better believe it.

69 vote(s)
    31.5%
  1. slcrocket

slcrocket Contributing Member

You mean Chris Hansen, the Seattle native? The same guy who has proposed one of the sweetest arena deals in the history of sports? The very same arena that only really costs the city in bonding capacity and no additional taxes for people who don't use the arena?

I don't expect most people to know the details of the arena proposal (I live in Seattle, and am obviously following it more closely than most), but the rhetoric that only rich billionaires who care nothing about sports make proposals like this is nonsense. Hansen has arguably made too many concessions (and will probably have to make more still for the city to approve it) already...if the City of Seattle won't support this, don't be surprised to see Hansen and his investors (including Steve Ballmer of Microsoft and the Nordstrom family of Nordstrom's fame) take their money and proposal across the lake to Bellevue. Seattle turning this thing down would be the dumbest thing since letting the Sonics leave in the first place.

This will now move on to the city of Seattle for their review...it's certainly not a done deal, but this was the first major hurdle to clear. Many think that the city may vote next month, but I'd be surprised....let's just say that this group will take their sweet time. They released a letter today that sounded very pessimistic. (you can read a good article on that here written by ESPN's Mike Salk: http://mynorthwest.com/422/714895/Why-City-Council-demands-bode-well-for-future-arena

As for how long people will clamor for the "opportunity to pay $50 for a ticket", I would just say that teams will charge what their market will bear. The fact that you and I still care about the NBA, as overpriced as it is, is evidence that it's working. And hey, the main reason I want this arena to go through is so that Seattle gets an NHL team (as well as the opportunity to see the Rockets in person a few times a year). :)

2. Ashes

Ashes Member

Just in time!

Oh wait..

3. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

Still doesn't change the fact Seattle had Durant and would've had the team Oklahoma has now. They should at least give back their franchise history, retired players and such.

4. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

As a Seattle native, was the story according to Sonicsgate telling the whole story as you lived through it? Specifically the charm of the old arena and how suddenly Stern pulled a 180 on it's viability even after the renovation. I also think I remember the film saying Ballmer and co. did have plans for a new arena where they fronted a lot of the construction cost.

5. rocketman84

rocketman84 Member

The proposal for this arena doesn't require any taxes, that's why the people aren't voting on it. The current proposal will be paid for without the assistance of the citizens, that's why it's a no brainer.

The only reason there was any discussion about it was because they want to put it next to safeco and century link, which some people thought would cause infrastructure issues that would deter business away from the docks.

6. Bearius Jones

Bearius Jones Member

Add two teams to West and reassign one to the East

How about adding two teams in the West and moving NO or Memphis to the East?
    Two teams would be in Seattle and Las Vegas :grin:
    Hasn't the NBA wanted to get a team in Vegas for some time?

They would then have 32 teams. They could revamp the divisions like football with 4 divisions on each side totaling 8.

West
    Seattle Sonics, Portland Trailblazers, Sacramento Kings, GS Warriors
    LA Lakers, LA Clippers, Phoenix Suns, Las Vegas Snake Eyes??
    Oklahoma Thunder, Utah Jazz, Minnesota Timberwolves, Denver Nuggets
    Houston Rockets, Dallas Mavericks, San Antonio Spurs, NO Hornets

East
    Milwaukee Bucks, Chicago Bulls, Indiana Pacers, Memphis Grizzlies
    Miami Heat, Orlando Magic, Atlanta Hawks, Charlotte Bobcats
    Detroit Pistons, Cleveland Cavaliers, Toronto Raptors, Washington Wizards
    NY Knicks, Brooklyn Nets, Boston Celtics, Philadelphia 76ers

7. MambaJoe

MambaJoe Member

That is great news. It sucks that the Sonics no longer exist but this is their new saga.

8. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

"and you don't know what you've got till it's gone."

9. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

It's got to be the Kings they're eyeing.

That franchise is living on borrowed time.

The Sonics will be reborn.

10. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

The Sonics name, colors, logo and <s>championship</s> rights are owned by Clay Bennett.

Edit: Seattle did manage to eek out the Trophy and banners.

#30 REEKO_HTOWN, Jul 31, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2012
  11. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Well that blows ass. How did they manage to get the trophy/banners? That seems like kind of a hollow victory. I'd rather have the name.

And also, why do owners do that? It seems ridiculous and petty. You're essentially killing and burying the team. Unless you plan to keep the name/logo/colors alive and operating, why the hell would you refuse to give them up? Not like it's going to benefit you.

12. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Where is the who cares choice?

Stupid city had a chance to vote in a new arena when they still had the Super Sonics and chose not to. I hated the Sonics then (as every true Rockets fan did) and don't care to see the NBA back in Seatle.

Las Vegas should get the next team and the NBA should forget about Seattle.

13. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

Seattle Magic?

14. eman

eman Contributing Member

Seattle Teabaggers

15. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Bennett wasn't staying in Seattle regardless. It's not like Seattle was dealing with a franchise that was trying to make it work and just refused to play ball. It's not their fault OKC stole their team.

As for the Rockets-Sonics rivalry, it was a great one. Not too great now that the rival has been obliterated. I'd rather have a Sonics team around to hate on than 'win' the rivialry by eliminating the team. Unless you have something personal against the City of Seattle, I don't think this attitude makes sense.

In any case, I am still rather indifferent. I hope they make good use of their arena. But, they are still a far cry from having an NBA team again. Maybe I can be happy for them if they ever get one.

16. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

We are pretty bad...

17. crash5179

We will never know. I remember Stern going up there and lobbying for that city to approve a new arena. He warned them then that if the Sonics left Seattle that the NBA would probably not be back.

If the city wanted to make Bennett the bad guy they should have approved a new arena but they did not. I think there is absolutely no way the Sonics leave Seattle if they would have approved a new arena, Stern would not have allowed it to happen, plus the team would have been locked into a multi-decade lease.

18. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Expansion time -- Seattle SuperSonics and London United

Get it done Stern!

19. crash5179

The NBA does not need new teams and if a small market team moves, Vegas should be first in line to get it.

20. merrrlo

merrrlo Member

Did something change since the Thunder were created? As far as I remember, Seattle got to keep the Sonics name and colors and would "share" the team's history with the Thunder (IF they manage to resurrect the Sonics)

http://www.seattlepi.com/news/article/Sonics-are-Oklahoma-City-bound-1278241.php