1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Wilt Chamberlain and his insane vertical leap

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by _RTM_, Nov 17, 2011.

Tags:
  1. _RTM_

_RTM_ Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/0EpVZS26BUs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

And that's on a hardwood, without any advantages of today's sports medicine and in a wtf shoes

1 person likes this.
  2. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

Very Nice.

Wilt would dominate the game in this era, just the same as he did in his era.

3. felixng2012

felixng2012 Member

WIlt would dominate this era simply because the centers in today's era are garbage. Dwight Howard is the best center, and Bynum is the second best. That is just sad. :eek:

4. OremLK

OremLK Member

We may never see another player with his raw physical gifts. Absolutely incredible. He was the same caliber of athlete as LeBron James, except instead of 6'8" he was 7'1" with a ridiculous wingspan. Nobody would be able to stop him in today's game... nobody.

5. Matt_Maloney

Matt_Maloney Rookie

psh so overrated, with those skills and those hops, he should've gotten nothing less than 40 rebounds a game ;)

6. DimeDropper

DimeDropper Member

7. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/EwHP04TWOps" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

8. Jontro

Jontro Member

Lin would make him an All Star, easily.

9. Juxtaposed Jolt

I think Wilt would have made Fortson an all-star.

"Hey midget, just throw it to me every time. You'll get 15+ assists a game!"

...and then Fortson proceeds to get exposed in the ASG.

10. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

i think my favorite part of that was the high-tech high jump landing system they had back then. no air-mattress like for today's softies, just a pile of straw barely off the ground. on a completely unrelated note, i'm surprised more athletes back then weren't performing at high levels into their mid-30's like today's athletes.

11. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

When I was young my father would tell a story of watching Wilt pregame. Someone on a ladder would put a quarter on top of the backboard and Wilt would cleanly snatch it off. The quarter was between his fingers, not just knocked off.

12. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

This legend seems to hop around ... David Thompson, Jackie Jackson, Earl Manigault, and I guess now, Wilt Chamberlain. :grin:

13. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Soon Thabeet will follow. We all will share the tails of the legendary Hasheem the Dream with our grand children.

14. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

david thompson blocked jabbar's shot, and he was only 6'4".

15. bmd

bmd Member

You guys are way too nostalgic. Wilt was way ahead of his time, but he'd get smoked if you put him in a time machine and transplanted him in an NBA game today.

16. TheShooter

TheShooter Member

Yes but what if he was born in 1888 for exemple? He would have destroyed the league.

17. TheShooter

TheShooter Member

1988 I meant.

18. Red.Glare

Red.Glare Member

Overrated? He averaged 25.7 rebounds and 50.4 points one season.

19. bmd

bmd Member

That is impossible to even TRY to analyze. You are trying to give him skills that he doesn't have by saying if he was born in 1988 then he would have acquired other skills that he didn't have when he played.

Nobody could ever possibly know what he would have learned if he was born in 1988.

You can only go by the skillset that he DID have when he played.

People can make arguments that he is the greatest ever because of how good he was relative to his competition at the time. That is how you compare players across different time periods.

You can also TRY to argue about how he would do if he played in today's NBA with the skills he had. How would he fare? That is speculation, but based on reality.

However, what you are suggesting is something that is impossible to even speculate on.

20. JD88

JD88 Member

He wouldn't be 6 inches taller than opposing centers if he played today.