1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[GQ] The Jeremy Lin Debate No One Wants to Have

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by acshen, Jul 19, 2012.

1. DaneB

DaneB Member

I don't know, Stackhouse can't be that bad of a guy can he? :)

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/nZSXYMoEoeQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Well, Stack is an expert in overpaid player contracts weighing teams down. :)

1 person likes this.
  3. sando

sando Member

"They say Stackhouse is the next Jordan."

4. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

Haha. So he's not racist, he's just prejudiced.

5. TheresTheDagger

Another black player upset Lin is making money. Shocking.

6. spdngyns69

spdngyns69 Member

Stack still alive and playing nba ball? Ok nets overpaid too. So far we got players Felton melo jr and stack hating on the Taiwanese guy. sasmith gets a free pass for being an analyst. Next up is how matt bonner and jj barea feels. This is America folks! And I still Love this country to death.

7. ribbit

ribbit Member

Yeah, right. Melo and Stat aren't overpaid for mediocre results.

8. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I wonder whether we'll hear from many players about how Omer Asik is getting overpaid.

9. s.b713

s.b713 Member

Lol probably none

10. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

LOL stackhouse has been getting overpaid for years ...

just a partial list ..

2001 Detroit Pistons $ 5,500,000
    2002 Wash Wizards $ 6,375,000
    2003 Wash Wizards $ 6,500,000
    2004 Dallas Mavericks $ 7,437,500
    2005 Dallas Mavericks $ 7,500,000
    2005 Dallas Mavericks $ 7,500,000
    2006 Dallas Mavericks $ 9,296,874
    2007 Dallas Mavericks $ 6,750,000
    2008 Dallas Mavericks $ 7,000,000
    2009 Milwaukee Bucks $ 676,283

11. Rodman23

Rodman23 .GIF

You can't put a price on Linsanity.His value is not just projected based on his skills as a basketball player.

12. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

It's funny how posters immediately talk about Stackhouse and totally ignore the fact that is it an added incident of a player criticizing another player's contract, which is the whole point of the article. It's as if they feel a relief that it's Stack who make that comment so now they can derail the thread by making fun of the guy.

The article is actually quite poorly written. But the point is simple and difficult to refute: Has any player ever been negatively commented about his contract by at least 3 other players in public?

13. roxxy

roxxy Member

No. Can't re-call any. And it isn't three people it is a lot more. Melo, Stackhouse, Jr, Camby, the NY media and there have been more. The entire national media has been consumed by Lin's and only Lin's contract. Shocking really.

14. luden

luden Member

It doesn't matter, if he meant that Houston was being ridiculous, you still don't talk about someone else's contract.

You don't get it and you never will. When you're the first of your kind to do something, it scares the masses because they don't know how to react or what to expect. That's human nature. Don't bet against him, you'll be on the wrong side of history.

15. spdngyns69

spdngyns69 Member

Hate on his game, ok. Hate on his race, not cool but ok. Hate on his money? Shame on them haters. I don't care if the man played 25 or 2500 games. If someone felt that it was worth 25mil, so be it. Some of these clowns probably hate on people who won the lotto. Proof that water is better than haterade.

16. amaru

amaru Member

:rolleyes:

17. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

You're absolutely right. You just don't get it.

1 person likes this.
  18. ThisIsOurCity

ThisIsOurCity Member

Interesting take on the Lin drama. I agree with it to a certain extent, but I think the writer downplays the luxury tax hit.

19. wonderkins

wonderkins Member

my god wtf is up with all this hate on Lin's contract. Majority of nba players aren't worth their contract. isn't it code for players to stfu about it?

20. bloop

bloop Member

No you're not the only one who made that mistake. FYI the idea that the "setup" 5/5/15 is "ridiculous" is ignorant. There's no other way to say that. I'm not saying you're ignorant but that idea is ignorant. It is literally ignorant of the CBA and the mechanical limitations of an early bird exemption contract offer that could be made to Jeremy Lin.

Neither the Knicks nor the Rockets could have reasonably made a 3 year offer in anything other than the 5/5/x format.

The CBA stipulates that the max offer the first year is the league average, which is around $5.2 million. Then there's a set rate that the offer can increase each year. For all intents any offer Lin got from any team was going to be 5/5/x.

If you think LOGICALLY if you're talking about an offer to Lin, neither Melo nor anyone crying on this board about the contract can be talking about anything other than a 5/5/x format. Because any offer Lin sign would start with a 5/5/ figure

For the purposes of this argument don't even worry about if Melo is racist. Just try to think what he was saying about Lin's contract and what part is "ridiculous."

Because of the requirements for 5/5/x the only thing Melo could be possibly be talking about is the "x." The last figure. The $15 million. You tell me what he's saying about that $15 million figure? That Lin IS worth $15 million or that he is not worth $15 million?

Melo is saying that he thinks paying Lin $15 a year is ridiculous. My conclusion. If you can shed some light on how else logically it can be interpreted since that contract format is pretty much predetermined I'm all ears.