1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Maybe..just maybe... Daryl Morey isn't "that" smart

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Dreamshake1, Jul 18, 2012.

1. Dreamshake1

Dreamshake1 Member

His reputation on here is a brain child, genius who gets the best of deals and never overpays players who aren't superstars. But what went into the process of the Lin signing? You give a 3 year contract to a guy who only started 25 games last year who's coming off injury. What metrics did Morey use to conclude Lin is a franchise point guard? My answer, none. He knew fans were upset he let Dragic walk and traded fan favorite Lowry. He put himself in a position where he had to do something, and signed Lin essentially for marketing and PR purposes.

Now if we don't get Dwight Howard or Andrew Bynum, we're going to overpay again for Omar Asik. Would love to know the metrics that went into this decision. What did Omar Asik show Morey as a back up that would make him offer him 25 million? It's a real question. Why not draft a young center who can do the same thing as Asik? You're basically paying a back up center who can play defense but absolutely no offensive. Why would you pass up a young center and draft another undersized foward?

With all the praise he gets on here there just isn't enough to declare him a genius. If that's your opinion, then much respect. But from a pure basketball perspective he hasn't really made a "genius" move all offseason. Where am I wrong?:confused:

2. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

what? huh...one of 2 things u have to realize...one you have to overpay a center...and Asik is a true center...and excellent defensive one at that... 2. Show me ur degree in economics...and from where...before u dis a MIT grad..just saying

3. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

Maybe..just maybe... Your dad should have used a condom.

12 people like this.
  4. thejav

thejav Member

asik is not over payed..just go look at what other centers in the league make..

5. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

1 - Howard/Bynum have nothing to do with Asik, the offer sheet was going in regardless.

2 - Most thought that Gortat was getting extremely overpaid when Morey and Cuban tried to get him.

3 - Overpaying centers is usually what the market demands.

Do I think Asik is worth the contract? Not especially, given his offense is literally limited to 5 feet from the hoop. But overpaying him is better than playing with Patterson in the post.

6. Pete the Cheat

is this really all you post about?

"I don't always troll about Morey...

...but when I do, I make sure I am logged in as Dreakshake1 or Rockets Jones"

7. DreaMac

DreaMac Member

holydshisodhjlshdlkfhsdlkfj burned.

/thread

8. Aceman2009

Aceman2009 Contributing Member

Every move morey makes is calculated. He's the guy looking at the right numbers while everyone else cares about box score. If he wants to pay a little more for Lin when everyone thinks he's not worth it then I'm with him. We have the money. We needed a good pg. we needed to outbid new York. And we succeded. Asik is a supremely underrated center and there are worse defensives centers making twice as much. I think it's a steal. If we dot get Dwight or Bynum it won't be for a lack of trying but don't doubt that more is always calculated in his moves.

9. TigerBait

TigerBait Contributing Member

Weak. Morey has already stated that Lin, from a statistical analysis POV, is very solid. When he is allowed to PnR and Iso, he has a high PER and basically lives in the paint. And yea, let's just draft a 7Fter with top 10 defensive metrics across the board, since it's so easy and all.

10. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

I do think the title of "genius" gets thrown around too much.

Though no need to be envious of the title :eek:

11. Aceman2009

Aceman2009 Contributing Member

Damn phone....

12. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

13. Spooner

Spooner Member

First of all bud, you spelled Omer Asik wrong. I you want anyone to respect you, at least get that much right. Omer boasted the best Drtg on the Bulls and one of the best in the entire league. If you think giving 8 million a year to a 7 foot, proven defensive/rebounding center is overpaying, you are r****ded.

Jeremy Lin isn't getting paid like a star. 8 mil a year is adequate for a starting PG. His contract is smaller than starting guards like, Mo Williams, Devin Harris, and Rodney Stuckey. Those players are middle of the pack at best.
    The irony of the situation is that you would prefer to overpay Goran, (yes it would have costed much more in guaranteed money) after watching him play a handfull of games similar to Lin. Lin is younger and on a much better deal. He's only 23 with obvious potential.

Why did you make this thread? You clearly don't understand how the NBA works.

r****d.

14. Possum

Possum Member

MAYBE its you that isn't smart.....No,,,,,,,it's DEFIANTLY you!

15. b2bizchina

b2bizchina Member

Morey is just Morey, smart? YES! but too smart = stupid !!!

16. smr6

smr6 Member

Maybe.. just maybe... you will make a post one day that isn't about how bad Morey is.

Here's to hoping!

17. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

"definitely"...just saying

18. psingh34

psingh34 Member

in a league where brooks lopez and roy hibbert are max players, where kris humpries is making 12 million a year .... i think 3 yr 25 is not at all over paying . also you have to remember we have ot pay a little bit more to make sure chicago doesnt match..

furthermore why draft a center (when so many dont even make it out of summer league) when you can let another team develop the center then sign them

19. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Where you're wrong is in declaring Lin and Asik over-paid before you see what they can do as Rockets.

Let me remind you of a few things:

People freaking out about trading Alston (who was actually widely unpopular) for Lowry.

People being upset about trading Brooks (who was also getting to be unpopular) for Dragic.

People declaring that Chandler Parsons wouldn't even make the team.

People freaking out about drafting Brooks and Landry.

People saying Budinger would be a scrub.

On and on and on.

Basically, you can't judge a Morey move as it's made. You have to give it time before you learn what is that he knows that you don't. And that's why he's a genius and you're not.

20. BigBird

BigBird Contributing Member