1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Feigen] Rockets consider amnestying Scola, as talks with the Magic grow "serious"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HMMMHMM, Jul 11, 2012.

1. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

I can't believe some people honestly think Scola is in the long term plans of this team. He and Martin are gonezo come February whether Howard is here or not. You can take your contending ideas and table them until 2014, at the absolute earliest.

2. rocketman84

rocketman84 Member

Chilax mein

3. TMackin713

TMackin713 Member

People say this now, but what if Dwight comes here, chooses to stay long-term, and we win a championship? Isn't that worth the risk?

4. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

I feel like we've already given up so much, and we're going to have to give up so much more to acquire Howard. What is going to be left? He's going to be surrounded by the same washed up vets who have failed him previously.

Wish they would have traded anyone but Lowry. We already let one really good pg go, then we give up another. Dwight is not only going to be stuck with the same crappy vets, he's going to have to deal with another crappy pg.

Lowry/Dragic>>>>Jameer Nelson

I guess it's easier to take a gamble on an established star, rather than rely on being crappy enough to get a high draft pick.

5. sweetbobl

sweetbobl Member

I'm incredibly embarrassed by the board tonight. Apparently, nobody understands the value of a Superstar in the NBA. Whatever you think of Dwight personally, he puts you in the championship conversation. If you can't offer a Brook Lopez or Bynum, you have to give up something and take something back.. aka draft picks & bad contracts.

6. ntitan06

ntitan06 Member

I wouldnt know who would be on our lineup to be honest.... I just dont get what is the big deal with ESPN hyping how good a trade the Nets package is compared to any other package that the Rockets or Lakers would offer... Brooke Lopez is a turd period... why would orlando what him as a center piece to any trade....

7. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Too many people are freaking out before actually knowing what you're freaking out about. Be patient a little longer. If the Rockets land Howard and it's an awful deal, you can burn the city down.

8. Pringles

Pringles Member

Without Howard, yes. We will trade Scola and Martin.

For Howard, why do we have to lose both players, take in 3 bad contracts, give up picks, and give up promising rookies?

If we are a complete ****ty team, than Howard can very much demand a trade during the trade deadline just like he did last deadline with Orlando.

9. TMackin713

TMackin713 Member

I agree 100 percent, unless we can somehow keep Scola, he could be efficient with Howard drawing so much attention. I'd love to keep Scola, but if our team stays as is, both him and Martin are gone.

10. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

If Deck wants to run around in circles, screaming and shouting, he's more than earned that right.

1 person likes this.
  11. Asian Sensation

Seriously. Like Moore. E. doesn't have the best interest of this franchise, his job and fans alike. Freakin out over nothing.

12. Pringles

Pringles Member

Of course. But when you have leverage (Nets out of the picture), why do we have to give up so much?

Draft picks and rookies fine. Losing Scola (and of course Martin, but he was always a goner) and taking in several horrible contracts while still loosing your picks and rookies?

This isn't a guaranteed extension. This could be a rental. Especially we are a horrible team, Dwight can very much demand a trade.

13. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Any trade involving Howard will almost certainly include Martin, and possibly Scola.

If Scola doesnt get moved in the Howard trade, he will be on the next train out of town by the deadline, as he can get us cap space and maybe even a future pick in a trade. He's not in our long term plan for multiple reasons... too expensive, too old, too many other PFs on our roster, etc.

Luis friggin' Scola is not going to make or break Howard's decision to stay.

#353 DonnyMost, Jul 11, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2012
  14. CXbby

CXbby Member

I'm guessing the Kings, Wizards, Bobcats, Raptors are still in that setup phase.

1 person likes this.
  15. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Not if he comes here and leaves after one season.

16. rocketman84

rocketman84 Member

Cool man

17. Pringles

Pringles Member

Martin is a goner no matter what.

Luis may not make or break his decision.

But will being a non-contender? What will stop him from demanding a trade from us especially if we are stuck with Dwight and scrubs?

If we do lose both Scola and Martin and taking in those bad contracts, than I'm assuming we are keeping 2 our 3 rookies that we have just drafted a long with Parson and D-Mo.

18. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

I hate to bring math into the discussion but here we go.

Ok, so lets assume that the Rockets are going with the worst case scenario that so many seem convinced that is going to happen:

-we amnesty Scola for cap space and we trade all of our young prospects and draft picks for Howard along with taking back 3 bad contracts.

- So if we are using cap space to cover the incoming salaries then we end up right at the cap after the deal.

- Howard now walks at the end of the season as many are predicting.

- Howard's $19m salary would come off the books. If Martin is still on the team then his $12m comes off the books.

- so exactly how would we end up capped out for years as so many are predicting? Worst case we are around $19m under the cap. If we let Martin expire then we have over $30m in cap space.

I don't think that the trade would play out this way, but regardless I don't see how we both lose Howard after a year and end up capped out.

2 people like this.
  19. Pringles

Pringles Member

I'm not worried about Dwight leaving in free agency. I am worried he will ask for a trade before the deadline.

20. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

you must spread around some reputation before giving it to aeliott again.

As usual, great post.