1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

RUMOR-Calvin Murphy back Announcing (UPDATE: Will host pre/post game)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DFWRocket, Jun 9, 2012.

1. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

Does anyone besides me find it hilarious that DD is talking about other people's stubbornness?

2 people like this.
  2. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

[​IMG]

3. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

This would be a dream scenario for me. The electricity from his character creates a atmosphere enjoyable to watch as a fan. He is real funny and his ideas on the game have good insight.

4. acjeitherocket

ill believe it when i see and hear it...

5. Granville

Granville Member

I agree, Calvin knows the game and makes it fun. Les must struggle big time with Calvin and all his baby mamas.

6. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Bring back Calving, mang

7. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Would make Rockets games worth watching again, even with our mediorce team.

8. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

If Calvin comes back it'll be an improvement. Please do it!

9. thewaterox

thewaterox Contributing Member

Van Chancelor was from Mississippi not Texas. Love Van he added nice Southern flavor to the team. If Murphy comes back you can expect to see a lot of happy Rockets fans including this one. Murph regardless of his history is someone fans see as a face of the franchise IMHO along the same lines of how Magic Johnson represents the Lakers.

10. ramsandcards

ramsandcards Member

This is hilarious.

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Stubborn? I am not stubborn, I am always right.

;)

DD

12. dsid411

dsid411 Member

13. rocketfan20

rocketfan20 Contributing Member

I realize that there may not be many people on this board that really care that FIVE of Murphy’s daughters testified that he sexually molested them, but I bet a lot of people in Houston care and would be willing to do something about it. If Rockets management was foolish enough to hire him, I would bet there would be a lot of people heading to the streets to protest!

I grew up watching the Rockets and was a HUGE Calvin Murphy fan for many years. When they had losing seasons, he was the only reason I'd watch the Rockets. But when I heard the charges that five of his daughters said he had molested them and I looked at the evidence, I had to face reality that he was nothing like who I thought he was.

I could look past him fathering children with 9 different women, but I couldn’t just bury my head in the sand, when I knew how unlikely it was that five daughters would go through all the pain and humiliation of a trial if those charges weren’t true.

Yes, he was found “not guilty beyond a reasonable doubt,” but that’s far from being found innocent. The jurors could have thought it was 90 percent likely he was guilty. In fact 3 jurors found him guilty on the first vote, but later said there was some reasonable doubt.

“A lot of us thought he might have done it, he could have done it, but there was too much doubt,” a juror named Holloway said.

It’s disappointing to see how many people on this board don’t seem to really care if he molested his daughters and would rather just sweep the whole thing under the rug. I know how charming Calvin can be. As I said, I was a huge fan of his myself for many years. But beyond your personal biases, what would you think if it was someone who hadn't been a star basketball player and didn't have such an engaging personality?

What if it was your sister, and she and four of her friends all testified someone in the neighborhood had done this to them. What if it was your mother or your girlfriend in that position?

Even if you don't want to believe the abuse was true, I don't see how someone could say there is at least not a strong possibility that his 5 daughters were telling the truth. If people are honest with themselves, they would always have that in the back of their mind every time they listened to Rockets games.

I hope some others of you, will be honest with yourself about this and voice your concerns also. The issue of sexual abuse of children is way more important than basketball, and if you're not part of the solution, then you're part of the problem.

1 person likes this.
  14. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

He's admitted to being a bad father I believe but that doesn't make him a child molester. From the outside you have no idea the motives of those children and who might be telling the truth. That's why we have a courts system, to make those determinations. I'm sure most of us care but they had their day in court and he was found not guilty. As far as I know Calvin has always been great in the community and that means something.

15. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

He and his daughters got their time in court and Murphy is still a Rockets employee right now even before this rumor. He was found not guilty do I trust that the verdict of his peers.

16. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

this...

my understanding (much of which was not discussed in the media at the time) is that..

1) they were step-daughters, not daughters - and had strained relationships when he was married to their mom

2) Before this lawsuit, they previously also tried to sue Calvin for money that they believed they were entitled to from the death of their mom.

3) Calvin won the previous lawsuit. This one came some time after

4) 2 & 3 make their made their new lawsuit seem suspicious

I could be wrong on these details..it has been a LONG LONG time since it was discussed

17. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Re: Rocketfan20

To add to/reiterate what the previous three posters have said, neither you nor I knows Calvin's personal situation with his daughters so the only thing we can do is trust what the justice system concluded. It's obvious that Calvin is not a role model father but that does not necessarily make him unfit to work, especially since he was not convicted. We just don't know the whole story -- he could have done it, or it could have been purely a greedy attempt at a cash-grab by his estranged daughters. There are always two sides to the story -- just because Calvin was the popular figure in the case and also the defendant does not make him deserve scorn IMO.

And just as an example, Mike Tyson and Marv Albert have both been accepted in their own way after troubling accusations (especially in Tyson's case).

18. mducroz

mducroz New Member

I’m a long time lurker and huge Rockets fan, just wanted to add my 2 cents on this topic because I have some personal insight into the matter. Back in the 90s my sister was the only girl member of the Wizkidz, who were a group of “All-star” AAU basketball players I believe under the age of 12. Calvin was the coach and they would perform skills demonstrations at some of the Rockets home games at halftime. Over the course of her time on the team she became very good friends with one of Calvin’s daughters who was also one of the accusers, and my parents became friends with Calvin and his wife at the time who passed away in a car accident some years later. On many occasions my sister would spend weekends at the Murphy house and his daughter would also come stay the weekends with my sister. Not once on any of these occasions did my sister see or hear any inappropriate behavior between Calvin and the girls, and he never did anything remotely inappropriate to my sister. We were shocked as a family when the allegations came out. My sister spent enough time around the family that she was interviewed and would have testified on Calvin’s behalf if the defense needed her to. I probably shouldn’t go into any more detail but based on what my sister experienced, and other info my family knew about the trial I personally have no doubt Calvin is innocent.

19. blackistan

blackistan Member

I dont wana hear rumors

20. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Not a fan of Calvin's. He's as annoying as Drexler.

1 person likes this.