1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

RUMOR-Calvin Murphy back Announcing (UPDATE: Will host pre/post game)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DFWRocket, Jun 9, 2012.

1. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

God let's hope so. Bring back Calvin! Can't wait!

2. ScriboErgoSum

ScriboErgoSum Contributing Member

Don't get me wrong. Clyde is terrible, but firing him to bring back Calvin would be a huge mistake. That's just switching one evil for another. Calvin was a rotten announcer. He and Bill spent more time bantering than talking about the game itself, and I hated his singing and the way he'd act pretend offended for multiple possessions. He at least understands the game better than Clyde and seemed to know more about current players, but that knowledge and insight was drowned about by the clown act he always put on.

It's a shame he lost his job due to trumped up circumstances, but Les was right to want him out long before that because he did a poor job. I was ecstatic when he was replaced.

If you're going to reach into the retro closet, bring back Van Chancelor. Otherwise, look for some new blood. If they don't pair well with Bill, then find a new play by play guy as well.

I'm already kind of depressed about the long term prospects of the team. Having a travesty of a announcer like Calvin rejoin the team is like pouring salt on a wound. What's worse than watching a team struggling to rise above mediocrity? Watching a team struggling to rise above mediocrity with a crap announcing team.

1 person likes this.
  3. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

So what is it like out on that island?:confused::p

1 person likes this.
  4. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

Van Chancelor mention negates everything you have said. That guy was hands down the most annoying announcer ever due to that horrible Texas accent!

5. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

If this is true I'd probably break down in tears of joy. Seriously.

It would be enough for me to order NBA Pass, for sure. Calvin Murphy was a GREAT announcer. He kept me watching some real stinkers in the Francis years.

6. Rockets R' Us

Rockets R' Us Contributing Member

Looks like I have a reason to buy league pass again, if anything this'll help kick back the old nostalgic championship years feeling of Bill & Calvin calling the games.

Someone get that man a batch of cookies ASAP

On a side note, this is gonna be a long offseason if that's the biggest move.

1 person likes this.
  7. pbnfamilia

pbnfamilia Member

As clyde would say "I LIKE IT " :)

8. Mr. Dominant

Mr. Dominant Contributing Member

I really hope so. Calvin was funny! Even my parents used to laugh at his commentary... when Clyde talks, they keep on asking me, "will the rockets ever bring Calvin back?!"

Sigh... I really hope he's coming back!!

9. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Let's hope so. Clyde needs to get kicked to the curb. Bull can do some other work...i.e. something smaller.

10. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

Actually, I liked Van Chancelor also. However, I will admit to having a "horrible Texas accent" myself. Van had great chemistry with Worrell, and he really knew basketball.

11. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Yep. You could tell why he was such a successful coach. The same way you can tell why Clyde was not.

12. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

van was good informatively but his accent is terrible and just kills it.

if only van could start telling clyde what to say on television, that would be perfect.

13. Nook

Nook Member

How horrible... A Texas team with an announcer witha Texan accent.. What a travesty.

14. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

If this happens it will save the season.

15. Granville

Granville Member

Van Chancellor sounds like a Hillbilly. Hell no.

16. Raven

Raven Member

Calvin is to Clyde what Jordan is to Bowie.

17. ric_flair

ric_flair Member

Talked to Calvin today at Fanfest for about 5 minutes. And he himself told me he would be back with Bill Worrell this season.... Finally some good off-season news.

18. SilentAssassin

Early yearsVan Chancellor played two years of basketball at East Central Junior College in Decatur, Mississippi, before transferring to Mississippii State University, where he earned a bachelor’s degree in mathematics & physical education in 1965.

During his senior year at Mississippi State, he served as head coach of the boy’s basketball team at Noxapater High School. Chancellor went on to coach boy’s and girl’s basketball at Horn Lake High School and Harrison Central High School in Mississippi. Chancellor received his master’s degree in physical education from the University of Mississippi in 1973.

University of MississippiChancellor spent 19 seasons (1978–1997) as the head coach of the University of Mississippi Lady Rebels, compiling an overall record of 439-154 (.740). As the Ole Miss head coach, Chancellor guided the Lady Rebels to the NCAA Tournament 14 times, including 11 consecutive appearances from 1982 to 1992.

Chancellor’s teams won at least 20 games 15 times, including a school-record 31 wins in 1978-1979. He also led the Lady Rebels to top 20 final rankings 13 times, with top 10 finishes four times (#5 in 1992, #6 in 1985, #8 in 1987, and #10 in 1984).

Chancellor led Ole Miss to the Elite Eight at the NCAA Tournament four times, while his teams made the Sweet 16 on three other occasions. Chancellor was named the Southeastern Conference Coach of the Year three times, including the 1992 season when the Lady Rebels were 29-3 overall and claimed the SEC regular season title with a perfect 11-0 mark. He was also named the 1992 National Women’s Basketball Coach of the Year by the Women’s Basketball News Service.

3 people like this.
  19. bcast89

bcast89 Member

Thank you for clearing this up. Don't know why people thought he was from Texas...

20. jdh008

jdh008 Member

I really hope this ends up being true. Before his departure, I wasn't a huge fan of Murph, but after listening to Clyde of late, I now see the error of my ways.