1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

49ers

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Brutal, Apr 13, 2012.

Tags:
  1. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

If you look back over the last 10-12 years, you can see a notable difference in the number of elite teams that relied on a running game and (yardage) defense versus a passing game and a defense that was mainly focused on creating turnovers.

The days of Trent Dilfers and baby Rothelisbergers winning Superbowls are gone, IMO. The majority of the successful teams in the NFL are driven by a really good QB and passing attack. Not saying it's a good thing, not saying it's a bad thing. That's just how it is now thanks to the rules changes we've seen.

Like I said, a good defense will never go out of style (although what constitutes "good" may change), but its relative importance has slipped recently (in addition to special teams), and a running game has become all but completely optional.

2. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Eh, I wouldn't say they're completely gone. We were a couple of random bounces/luck plays from Flacco and Alex Smith squaring off in the Super Bowl. Likewise, a great running game can help immensely, and I'll bet one of those style teams wins a Super Bowl in the next few years.

It's just, as you implied, that's not the formula most teams are going with. If you find that really good QB and passing attack, you're set as a contender for the next decade, in most instances. On the other hand, if you have a mediocre QB and try to win with your running game and defense, you're going to be exposed to a lot more volatility... which is why most franchises aren't doing it and continue to roll the dice on anything that can even remotely be perceived as a franchise QB.

Definitely an interesting debate. I think Baqui is right philosophically, if you look at it from an individual game standpoint... but I don't think that's the right way to build your team.

(PS: I really think the Texans are the franchise that has the best of both worlds. That is, a commitment to defense and the running game while also having legitimate talent at the passing game skill positions to fall back on. Hoping that pays off in about nine months...)

3. Brutal

Brutal Member

No but they took their teams to the Championship games. So two of the last four standing had Tebow and Smith behind the helm.

4. Brutal

Brutal Member

Football at all levels will always be about winning the turnover battle, putting pressure on the QB, you can run/stuff the run. That is the winning formula and always will be.

5. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

I agree.

However, this time around Alex Smith will have to do slightly more to get back to the NFC and WIN!

It's still defense first and running the ball. However, for the team to go to the next level he has to do a little more AND keeping the turnovers down.

NFC Championship
    *Packers vs 49ers

*only team that CAN stand in their way is the Eagles because pass rushing and cb play. Furthermore, the Packers can not run the ball and expose the weakness of the Eagles.

6. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

:confused:

Tim Tebow was not in the AFC championship game.

7. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Texans have a better chance of winning it all than the 49ers.

8. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

I think the 49ers can get 12 wins, and could be on the top 3 of the NFC.

9. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Huh?? The AFC Championship game was Baltimore vs New England.

10. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

not sure if serious

11. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

I'm serious.

The 49ers play in a packed NFC.

The Texans play in an easier AFC.

12. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

Patriots
    Ravens
    Steelers
    Chargers (Will the real Rivers please stand up)

Broncos (Manning)
    Bengals (2 first round draft picks)
    Jets (wild card)
    Bills (emerging defense)

13. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Boy, when you put it like that, the AFC looks really crappy compared to the NFC.

14. conquistador#11

all these teams people have listed, all they have to do is no screw up on special teams and they're super bowl bound!

the league wants to rid kickoff returns all together since the new rule reduced concussions by 40%. If they got rid of punt returns and field goals, that would prevent screw ups on special teams. water is liquidy. Skies are bluish.