1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Shabazz Muhammad. A Lock for the 1st Overall Pick in the 2013 NBA Draft?

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Johnson2000, Jan 19, 2012.

1. Johnson2000

Johnson2000 Member

http://www.nbadraft.net/players/shabazz-muhammad

Shabazz Muhammad

NBA Comparison: Kobe Bryant/James Harden

Strengths: Left handed SG with elite level speed, athleticism and skills ... Great scorer who can fill it up in a variety of ways ... Very smart, intense individual who is highly motivated and driven to be great ... Mature offensive game, already has a strong NBA body, INCREDIBLE length (appears to have a wingspan in the neighborhood of 7-feet), is a man amongst boys, very athletic and explosive ... Quick first step and handle make him difficult to contain one on one ... Improving jumpshot and handle, wired to score the ball, can physically dominate his opponents, pull up jumper and ability to put the ball on the floor have improved considerably ... Box game is very advanced for his age ... Great on the offensive glass for a 2 guard ... Knows how to work the baseline and score, terrific in transition, hard worker ... Shows signs of having a killer instinct and will assertively get on his teammates when they're not living up to his expectations ... The most prolific scorer in the country ...

Weaknesses: Has improved his jumpshot but still needs some work to become more automatic ... Relies too much on his strength ... Needs to look to impact the game in other areas besides scoring ... Too left hand dominant, ball tends to stop when it gets in his hands ... Not a great creator for teammates ... Can lose focus sometimes if not involved enough offensively ... Handle needs to tighten up ... prone to offensive fouls, needs to continue to round out his overall game ...

Overall: Muhammad is a terrific long term prospect ... He can score the ball in his sleep and is just scratching the surface of his ability ... Once he improves the consistency on his jumpshot he will almost be impossible to defend, great work ethic and drive to succeed will take him a long way ... Is a one and done candidate if rules stay as they currently are and and will likely compete to be the top overall pick in 2013 ... Best 2-guard prospect and scorer at the high school level to come along in quite some time ...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/LSSsj_Ruz-w" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/UhuLTyaA4cg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/iZOKFfNU0Nk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2. AFS

AFS Member

I think it's too early to say.

3. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

If Drummond stays, he would give him competition. But top 2 easy. That kid is really good.

4. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

I have seen Shabazz play live on multiple occasions. He's the real deal. Hopefully he comes to UNLV for his one and done year in college hoops. The Rebels are playing well this year and his addition will be enough to resurrect the program back to the glory days of Grandmama and the Plastic Man. UNLV has a above average chance of getting him since his high school coach at Bishop Gorman is the brother of UNLV coach David Rice. Don't think the Rockets will have a chance of getting him since they're riding the mediocrity treadmill.

5. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

Sick Wingspan, that's what jumps out to me.

6. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

We'll see, but I also remember the hype on O.J. Mayo as the sure-fire #1 pick/next great NBA player also.

7. Johnson2000

Johnson2000 Member

I agree to a certain extent on OJ Mayo, but their were a lot of people who werent buying in the OJ Mayo( he didnt have a very high upside), and had questionable charater issues

Shabazz Muhammad has a good head on his shoulders(very smart), far more explosive, and athletic. Chad Ford and Fran Frisically( NBA Scouts) have gone on record saying that Shabazz is about a safe of a Top pick as we have had since Blake Griffin. Chad Ford says Shabazz's potential is through the roof, and at worst he will be in the mold of a Manu Ginobili/James Harden type of player in the NBA

8. Kwame

The guy is already more of a physical specimen and more athletic than OJ Mayo will ever be. I have no doubt that if he was in the NBA last year he would be contributing. He needs to work on incorporating his jump shot more into his game though. As it currently stands, he relies too much on his athleticism, which is elite, to dominate at the hs level. I'm sure, however, that that will come with time.

9. Roxs-Redemption

I would trade any Rocket's player for him. Please tank next season or Get it done, Morey!!

10. LOLatSoccer

LOLatSoccer Member

DAMN... a freakin Kobe comparison

11. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

OJ Mayo was the first prospect labeled to be the "next Lebron James" in high school. His hype was real. I don't believe anything anymore after Marbury, Mayo, and Oden. It's the NBA. Anything can happen. Shabazz could turn into a superstar, but don't forget that two of the most highly touted prospects in the past five years were Brandon Jennings and Jeremy Tyler. They took gambles to go overseas, and in one case it worked and in another it didn't.

So we'll see about Shabazz. Something tells me that he would have committed to UNLV already by now if that was where he really wanted to end up. I think he's waiting to see which of the one-and-done guards in the year above him vacates a starting position at a more coveted, high-profile (Kentucky, Duke) school.

12. Kwame

The Rockets need to do whatever it takes to position themselves to have a shot at this guy in 2013.

13. OremLK

OremLK Member

It's not going to happen guys. We will never be able to tank hard enough to get the first overall pick and teams don't trade the first overall.

14. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

Is he elligible for the 2012 draft?

15. Kwame

Rockets need to try. Maury should contact the Wizards and offer to take on the contracts of Blatche and/or Lewis in exchange for Martin, Dalembert, and Scola as long as the Wiz include their first round draft pick for 2013 (unprotected). If necessary, the Rockets can include "assets" to sweeten the deal like one of their young players or an extra draft pick since they've accumulated so many of each.

16. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

If you do the above the Wizards become highly unlikely to be bad enough to get a high enough pick. Heck, in the East, Wall, Martin, Vesley, Scola and Dalem err are potentially a playoff team.

17. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

I want him just because his name. shabazz muhammad, beast name.

18. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

No, he's still in high school.

19. LOLatSoccer

LOLatSoccer Member

Shows signs of having a killer instinct and will assertively get on his teammates when they're not living up to his expectations ... The most prolific scorer in the country ...

Not a great creator for teammates ... Can lose focus sometimes if not involved enough offensively

Is a one and done candidate if rules stay as they currently are and and will likely compete to be the top overall pick in 2013 ... Best 2-guard prospect and scorer at the high school level to come along in quite some time ...

------------------------------------------------

Those quotes def remind me a LOT of Kobe.. im not even gonna lie

20. Kwame

Yeah, I feel you. It was mostly a hypothetical scenario off the top of my head. If there's a way to just absorb Blatche's salary for their unprotected 1st round pick, that would be the ideal scenario. It would even be ideal to trade Dalembert for Blatche and their unprotected 1st round pick in 2013 since Samuel has that friendly buyout clause in his contract. IIRC, the Wizards are willing to do anything to get rid of Blatche outside of trade Wall according to sources. I think it's unlikely that the Rockets have a good chance of getting Shabazz, but Cleveland got the Clippers first round draft pick for taking on Baron Davis's contract and that turned out to be Kyrie Irving. The Blazers just got what looks to be a relatively high lottery pick (top 3 protected) for essentially Wallace and taking on some minimal salary.

I just want the Rockets to have a shot at Shabazz. They need to be in the hunt for this guy. I would even endorse tanking to try and obtain him or trading anybody on the roster or any draft picks to put Houston in a better chance of having a shot at Muhammad. I've seen him play. In my humble opinion, he'll at the very least be a rich man's James Harden. I think he's going to be special...somebody who will be the cornerstone of an NBA franchise for years to come...somebody you can build around. He could turnout to be OJ Mayo, but Muhammad's potential makes it worth the risk.