1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Discussed: Jonny Flynn to Cavs?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dingus, Mar 13, 2012.

1. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

This is why I think it's unlikely that all we had to give up was some kind of second rounder. If that's really all we would have had to give up that obviously would have been a *great* deal.

Good point. Rockets sure love to trade up.

Well, trying to trade up. :p

2. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Feel your pain, JV... don't disagree with you either. I think this is the first year the Rockets really screwed the pooch. When Yao went down 5 games in and team started 3-10 last year, they should have come away with a pick that could have put them in the running for Jonas Valanciunas, or Biyombo or one of their trade-up targets. But, one lets it go. Now, to compound it this year by staying the best of the worst, I think criticism is warranted.

3. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Kyle Lowry, Pau Gasol and Nene...

4. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

In all fairness, they traded up in last year's draft (from #23 to #20). ;)

5. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

Yeah, how could I forget.

Anyway, you may be right that all the Rockets would have had to give up in that proposal was Flynn and a future 2nd rounder. That's probably also the reason why the trade didn't actually happen.

Looking at what the Cavs would have gotten in return for Sessions I sure understand why the talks went "dormant".

Nice try, Murray. :)

6. allanivan

allanivan Member

We will see if the trade will be done or no if Flynn is not playing tonite. And we can also sign Adrien Back..

7. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Ain't nothing gowanns to happen until Thursday anyway, big, small, medium....nothing.

8. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

Trading Jonny Flynn for what is essentially right now(and may turn out to be) a mid to late 1st rd pick. Would be an absolute steal.

Arnett Moultrie, Jeff Taylor, Tony Wroten, Evan Fournier(Int.), Mason Plumlee, Fab Melo and Patric Young are all viable picks at that range.

9. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

all day, everyday.

10. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

If you can turn Flynn into ANY asset you're not just fortunate, you are divinely blessed.

He would be of more value to us as a ball boy. Anything to keep him off the court while the clock is running is addition by subtraction.

11. passdarock

passdarock Member

Right. If the rockets obtain a late first round pick, the rockets could potentially use both 1st round draft picks to move up in this years draft. Not a bad move.

12. pge71188

pge71188 Member

please get rid of flynn!!

13. HI Mana

HI Mana Member

Honestly, Bima, I don't have the money figures on me, but I really hated what Minnesota ended up doing with their first rounder. Nikola Mirotic has been an absolute beast for Real Madrid, and was all but guaranteed to play multiple years overseas. Thus, he wouldn't have added to the overflow of young players Minnesota has; instead he'd be on a reasonable first contract when the Wolves are capped out with Love/Rubio/Williams.

I think the Wolves got a very fair return on their deal with the Rockets. But in terms of what they got back for the #23 pick? The #43 overall pick (Malcolm Lee), a Miami 2014 2nd rounder, which is all but assuredly going to be one of the last 5 picks in the draft, and New Jersey's 2013 pick, which will probably be in the last 10 picks in the draft after Dwight Howard signs there over the summer? Doesn't seem like the greatest return.

Now maybe they got something crazy like $9M net for the picks, but just looking at pick value, you have to hold up what Daryl Morey did in the 2008 draft, where he traded back just 3 slots and picked up the #33 as well as the Grizzlies' future 2nd rounder, as the gold standard for trading back in the NBA draft; something that almost never happens in a practical sense.

14. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

Morey is good at facilitating others dreams. Let it be so. Thats the major blockbuster deal we can expect.

15. The Rock MVP

The Rock MVP Member

Ya ok this is a late first rounder, BUT we have the potential to have three first rounders. Two of them are potentially in the lottery. You don't think we can trade 2 of them to move up and draft harrison barnes and add Sullinger with the third.

Barnes and Sullinger become our cornerstones

16. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Getting a first rounder for Johnny Flynn.... where do I sign. I had a feeling that Morey would do something to pick up picks to make up for the Terrence Williams trade. Given its a Lakers pick, and will be late in the first round, I still have to think Morey can get a much higher quality player late in the first round as opposed to the 2nd round.

17. sonnyiztheone

sonnyiztheone Member

yayyy trade him!!!

18. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

HELL NO...

We need Cavs to have a better record that NY

19. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Don't forget, in addition to the future second rounder(s), the Cavs would save a bit of money this year (around $237k, by my math) and another $4.55M in 2012-13.

As a money move, it's not that bad, actually. And that doesn't even account for any cash Houston might throw into the deal.

20. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

Getting anything out of Flynn is a win. Take it and run!