1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Sheridan] NBA roster expanded to 13 players

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Commodore, Feb 24, 2012.

1. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

http://www.sheridanhoops.com/2012/0...come-permanent-waiver-rules-could-be-altered/

2. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

More opportunities for more players to play, not a bad idea. More chances of finding hidden talents.

They should call this the Jeremy Lin expansion.

3. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I was just going to post that, but it's ironic the expansion was already in play when he slipped by..

4. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Lin's problem wasn't the size of the active roster, it was the size of the overall roster, which as far as I know is still 15.

I don't really see the point. Teams use 8-9 man rotations for the most part. Only benefit I see is 6 extra fouls, which as a fan, I'd rather not see.

5. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Why impose any limit? If you can have up to 15 players on your roster, I don't understand the problem with allowing all of them to be active.

6. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

I agree, but with an expanded roster you have more spots for garbage minutes.

You could also get more situational players in the game, guys that are useful for 8 minutes in the game.

7. cod

cod Member

It's still a 15 man roster with most coach's opting to play a 8 to 10 man rotation.

8. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

As I remember, the 12 active and 3 inactive came about to do away with the injury list, which teams played around with and tried to carry extra players or hide players. Don't see the big deal in just making all 15 active, but if there is an injury can they call up/sign a player and take that injured player's spot, because now that would mean they have 16 signed players, or are we re-introducing the injury list and the shenanigans that came along with it?

9. pli777

pli777 Member

Exactly, why limit how many limited players can play on your team. It should always be the coach's decision.

I didn't even know they limit active roster.

10. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Yes but only 12 player could be active at all times.

11. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I think the 12-man thing is from the tradition of each team having 12 players. Then they started to allow 3 "injured" players on the roster who could not play. But then teams used all phony excuses to juggle between the active roster and the IL. So they decided to do away the "injury" in IL and call it "inactive."

I actually think they should expand the D-league and limit the roster just to 12 people, i.e. teams should just send anyone who is not on the 12-man roster to the D-league. 12 men is plenty for allowance of injuries anyway.

12. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

The obvious problem is hack a shaq gone overboard - Teams could throw an extra 18 fouls at a guy like Howard.

You'd have to take another look at a double bonus as a deterrent.

13. daspydamayn

daspydamayn Member

This.

14. HeWhoIsLunchbox

HeWhoIsLunchbox Contributing Member

I thought they imposed a deterrent a few years ago. If you intentionally foul someone without the ball, doesn't that player get FTs and his team gets possession? Or is that just during the last 2 minutes of the game?

15. thething

thething Contributing Member

That is not a big deal--if you use a player that is not very good for his fouls, they still do have to play on the offensive end.

Why not carry 15 on the active roster? It would be: 5 starters, 5 bench players, and 5 for garbage time.