1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Terrence Williams on potentially leaving the Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Feb 20, 2012.

1. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Yeah, Johnson is so bad that in his last 3 seasons with the team, he coached the Mavs to 60, 67, and 51 wins. Good god almighty, that's terrible!!

2. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Can't argue with that! :grin:

3. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I don't think the coaches care much about his tweets. The thing is, if he can't beat out two second rounders, then he's probably not really as talented as alleged, or he has poor work ethics to put his talent to use. Either way, I don't see how one can blame the coaches for not playing him.

His situation is totally different from Lin's. He was a first round pick and has been touted as a very gifted player all along. There is no way that his talent can be overlooked as someone coming from nowhere.

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

it's not very hard to put good numbers on a bad team, but Lin actually is winning with his team, making his team better.

That is very hard to achieve. Even Deron William has not been able to do that this season and he is an allstar.

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Again hope for that best

Only guys in the NBA with 15 pts 6 rbs 5 assists and better

Lebron, Iguodala, Kyle
    and him being able to produce that

6. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

How can anyone hate this guy? God, I really hope he gets a chance out there.

7. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

This^^ 2x.

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Deron has proven tonight he can explode for a game or two every 3,4 games.

9. Rokman

Rokman Member

In basketball, just like all sports you've got to have ALL of the following:

- Talent
    - Intelligence
    - Drive
    - Heart

If one of those 4 are missing, you won't crack the rotation.

Name the one's missing in Terrence Williams!

10. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Intelligence, Drive and possibly Heart.

11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

What he has

Drive
    Enough Talent

Missing

Heart
    Work ethic
    Intelligence outside of BB IQ
    More Drive
    More Talent

12. Yodels

Yodels Contributing Member

He is one of those guys that you can't take verbatim. He gets emotional and sometimes the words he says don't give the full picture. Anyway, hope he learns from it...

13. diehardNFFL

diehardNFFL Member

I was talking about the job he's doing with the Nets.

14. GMNot

GMNot Member

I've been saying it (not a lot, but when I have posted) that T-Will has real talent that is being mishandled, for whatever reason. His greatest strength is the ability to get to the basket, almost at will... sorry for the pun. There are still too many sets/possessions when the Rockets just pass the ball around the perimeter hoping for something to develop. Yes, Lowry and Dragic can penetrate, but don't always finish that well. I think, given the chance, (and understanding that this is what is wanted most from him) he would help the team a lot. Problem is, team basketball is such a mantra for the Rockets, he seems to pass way too often when he probably could force the other team to start having more severe breakdowns if he would just be relentless in driving to the basket. But would he have that green light? If we thought Brooks could do that, so can Williams. It is a mindset problem. Both with the coaching staff and with Williams. It's like 2 dancers each waiting for the other to lead. Of course, it will look awkward.

For my money I'd like to see both he and Martin on the court, with each given to the green light to drive to the basket whenever. They are each scorers in slightly different ways. But they are both scorers. The Rockets want a "superstar." Williams hasn't proven that at all. But why do you want a superstar? That's supposed to be someone who can statistically score when needed or when the game is on the line. I really believe Williams can do that given the opportunity and a change in mindset of why he's on the court. To score, more so, than to pass to someone else. I know that sounds contrary to what we all think of as "Rockets ball," currently. But sometimes you have let a player find his way into the flow by using his greatest strength, which in T-Will's case is getting to the basket and finishing. He does have a decent jumper, too. I'm not saying you let he and Martin dominate the ball for long periods -- just enough to loosen up the defense when needed.

I'm curious as to your take, Clutch, on what you saw of him during the short time that was "training camp," this season. Your comments above indicate to me you saw enough potential there to warrant saying so. And if so, I think you would agree that it's more a mishandling of his talent and personality than anything. Or do you think it is a size issue? I do think he probably has put out much less effort in any practices they have had since he fell out of any minutes at all. His comments about not being back are just the verbal expression of that, as far as I can tell. Cheering on your teammates is different from going all out in a practice when you think your situation won't change. Barring an injury (or something?) he understands that the rotation has been set. It may not seem professional to react as he has, but like Rudy used to say, "it's human nature." Plus he is still 21. I know people in their 60's who still don't seem mature in many ways. I, for one, would cut him some slack in that department.

I do think, contrary to some other posters, if given the opportunity, and the proper understanding of how to utilize his talent and guide it -- as both, I think, are necessary in his case -- he will be a force to be reckoned with. If D'Antoni only let Lin have his shot out of desperation -- ("What have we got to lose...?), then it is obvious that coaches don't always see what the full picture could be, using a player that has talent, but just doesn't get the chance, for whatever reason. (What?? Lin wasn't participating in their practices??) Sometimes, coaches can be too loyal to seniority, or starters, or whatever. After all, both Lin and Williams have shown flashes of what could be. If there is some air that needs to be cleared, then I would say Williams deserves that as much as Martin did recently. If he can't be in the plans, then have that conversation.

I can't say I really know what is going on here, but this is my gut reaction.

(Sorry for any typos, etc. which happen in most longer posts.)

15. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

My take from someone who has coached basketball before and tried to analyze what the deal was/is with Terrence Williams, at least on offense.

Could Terrence penetrate at will? Yes, Sort of. Yes he could take his man one on one, but when Terrence got the ball it was as if the entire offense just stood still watching.

It would be one thing if he was able to score the ball at will or command a double team but he didnt do that.

See thats the key. When looking at him in film, he almost never broke down the defense. He just merely took his man one on one, and made flashy passes to a man on the perimeter that didnt necessarily have a better look than he did in the paint.

In short, yes he can get in the paint, but he's not a good enough offensive player to break down the defense and score at will. The only way he could be effective is if he could finish consistenly enough one on one to command a double team... ALA old school T-Mac.

Plus, he isn't necessarily the best decision maker on the floor when it comes to passing. He has great passing ability, but doesn't put his teamates in the best possible position to score. So no, you cant run your offense through him effectively.

The Rockets werent willing to run their offense through him like the Lebron/Cleveland or T-Mac/Rockets did with their stars. Defenses are just too good and you really need that player to be on the level of a Lebron or T-Mac to truely win games.

Sorry GMNot, but thats how I see it. The Terrence Williams Rockets era was filled with Ifs, whats, and hows, but realize that from a coaching standpoint its really about X's, O's, and getting wins. Morey is right by saying Terrence actually played well when given minutes, he really did, but he's just an anomoly on the court that you have to sort of throw out the playbook and let him go to work.

Its a tough call for any NBA coach to make with playing him minutes over a system guy like a Budinger, or Parsons, but I understand why McHale did it. Hopefully that helps explain things a bit from the coaches perspective.

16. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

I get the impression that Williams is a player who needs to be the number one option of the offense to play well. Except Williams hasn't shown that he is good enough to warrant being the focus of the offense. Perhaps on a worse team Williams will get that chance.

Obviously Morey traded for Williams, so it isn't like he brought him here in the hopes he would fail. Based on Twill's tweets, his attitude towards the front office and possibly the coaching staff aren't doing him any favors. This is the 3rd coach who has relegated him to DNP coaches decision a majority of the time. Most people seem to agree that he is talented, and he isn't able to get ANY minutes even in games that are out of reach either way, then the most likely cause seems to be behavior or discipline reasons. If your talented enough you can act like Ron Artest or Rasheed Wallace or Dennis Rodman, but if you are on the end of the bench you are better off working hard, keeping quiet, and fitting in.

17. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It is not Xs and Os, it's Jimmys and Joes...

18. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Terrence chimes in:

19. AFS

AFS Member

I guess we need to put him on the Kobe System then...

20. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

What does that mean?;)