1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Two Positive Solomon Pieces

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by durvasa, Feb 16, 2012.

1. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Noted "Rockets hater" Jerome Solomon brings some positivity. He blogged about why Morey can be excused for missing out on Linsanity last night, and now:

Solomon: That McHale guy is pretty good, isn't he?
    http://blog.chron.com/ultimaterockets/2012/02/that-mchale-guy-is-pretty-good-isn’t-he/
    [rquoter]
    After the Rockets’ impressive grind-it-out win over the Oklahoma City Thunder, the best team in the Western Conference, those who said Kevin McHale would be a pretty darn good coach could say “I told you so.” If they are so inclined.

I’m more of an “I informed you thusly,” kinda guy.

I am getting this out there now, even though I expect the Rockets to not be much better than they are and to end the year at the bottom of the playoff heap – seventh or eighth seed at best.

The point is McHale is so much better than so many of you thought he would be when he was hired.

The most impressive thing about McHale is that he isn’t exactly a players’ coach, despite having been a player.

He is so old school, so matter-of-fact, that he is more like a cool grandfather, though he isn’t at all old, who is fun to have around, but doesn’t allow you to get away with anything.

Players like him, but they know they can’t cut any corners and he keeps them on edge with biting comments and an aversion to excuses.

The latter might be what impresses me the most about McHale.

[/rquoter]

2. rocketsmetalspd

7th or 8th is that if the team stands pat? What if the Kaman deal is made, will that change to maybe 5th or 6th?

3. apollo33

apollo33 Member

We would have a pretty damn solid front court, not sure about contender status, but definitely solid

4. mylilpony

mylilpony Member

i think he is more of a contrarian than positive. most houstonians think the rockets blow because they dont know who is on the team. if people soon recognize the team or its players and that recognition leads to excitement about the team, solomon will hate again.

5. Pete the Cheat

watching teams run a lay-up drill on us whenever Scola and Pat are on the floor together makes me think it would be a noticeable improvement. I think both of those guys do their best work defensively when they know theres a shotblocker behind them.

6. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

McHale-17-13

Adelman-14-16

7. Prince

Prince Member

a win is a win but the thunder last night was not at their best when we played them but still they were close. they players look defeated and tired yet they were in the game.

8. REEKO_HTOWN

That's a horse crap excuse. You try telling our players that we got lucky last night. SO our defense wasn't the key to stopping them from scoring for 3 solid minutes?

I guess we got lucky the Thunder couldn't make a shot for 3 minutes in crunch time? GTFO

9. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

McHale HOF player, Adelman HOF in his mind. McHale handled Martin the right way, look what happened to Aaron Brooks with Adelman. Instead of telling us where Brooks was when he bailed, he told us, "I don't know where he is, you ask him." I haven't heard ex-players hating McHale yet.

10. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

McHale's getting this team some wins despite Scola and Martin having worse seasons than usual.

11. REEKO_HTOWN

Martin at least has shows flashes but Scola....he's have a horrible year.

12. arjun

arjun Member

you can't be serious....our team has veterans who have established and proven skill sets in the nba. Kyle Lowry, Luis Scola, Kevin Martin, Dalembert.....

Minnesota is a VERY young team..the fact that they are 14-16 is MORE impressive than the rockets being 17-13.

Adelman has changed the whole culture of the timberwolves. they have stunk it up in the past couple weeks, but despite that the twolves now EXPECT to win every night.

2 people like this.
  13. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

anyone remember what our record was last year after 30 games?

14. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Don't even waste your time arguing with fools.

Rockets - 43-39

Wolves - 17-65

15. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

We just got off a nine game road trip against Western Conference playoff contenders to play the best team in the West at home. If anything, we should have looked tired and defeated by halftime. Which we did, and still held on to get the W.

That's a lame excuse to try and sour a good win against a great team.

And who exactly were the Bolts missing.... Sefalosha??? They still had their two perrenial all stars and the leading 6th man of the year candidate along with two stallworth defenseive players.

Enough said, the win was a great one. Topic/

16. arjun

arjun Member

lol exactly. I think part of wolves improvement is rubio and williams....but they are not good enough to bring wolves from 17-65 to 14-16 thus far.

BIG HUGE GIGANTIC kudos to Rick Adelman. Amazing.

17. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

Who has the more talented team? Lowry Martin Scola vs Rubio Beasley Love

18. thething

thething Contributing Member

It's not all about talent. If it were, the Heat would have ran away with the championship last year.

The Rockets can work better as a team than those guys right now.

1 person likes this.
  19. REEKO_HTOWN

It's obvious that Minny has talent so if Adelman doesn't make the playoffs and we do I wonder if people will agree that McHale improved this team because of his defense and no "Teacher's Pet" approach.

I remember tons of "The Wolves are making the playoffs w/ Adelman" and the "Rockets are going to suck because McHale is a bad coach" posts. I can't wait to see the opposite happen.

20. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

which coach had Dalembert and which coach had Chuck Hayes...