1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[hoopsworld]Houston Rockets Don’t Need A “Superstar”

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by phantoman, Jan 24, 2012.

1. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Wow, Bill Ingram didn't write the article?

Probably because he's too busy writing the article "I Loaned Morey $20 and He Hasn't Paid Me Back, Therefore my Hate for Him is Unreasonable".

And for the record, we DO need a star, and Morey will include Martin if he can, because Kevin's contract is up after next year and he'll go elsewhere if still here at that time. He's probably tired of being thrown into so many trade proposals.

EDIT: Also, Les and Morey need to get the value of the franchise UP. We're never on TV, ticket sales suck. ALSO ALSO, we're posting this thread after beating some lower-quality teams, and some of those BARELY (Hornets) or after beating the Spurs BARELY w/o Duncan and Manu.

#21 ROXTXIA, Jan 24, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2012
  2. RocketsMAN!

RocketsMAN! Member

READ: no rookies

3. mylilpony

mylilpony Member

Watch out with that talk. People may accuse you of being a pro tanker. You should really asses your desire to want a superstar.

4. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

The Pistons had 4 guys who were in the top 3 in the league at their role that year.

They might not have had a "superstar" in the likeness of a Lebron James, Kobe, or Jordan, but they had could possibly have had the best roster that year.

Look at the Rockets now- Ratings aren't exact but just based on assumptions of where they are at this point in the season, and where they "might be" at the end of the season.

-Lowry - Top 5 PG in the league, Top 3 in the West, Top 5 in assists
    -Martin - Top 10 wing scorer in the league
    -Scola - Top 20 post scorer, (poor rebounder per 40)
    -Dalembert - Top 5 in blocks, Top 10 in rebounds

-If the Rockets had any shot of winning it all with the Piston's method they are still a little shy on talent and abilities with 2 their current top 4 position players. Its probably just easier to get one or 2 elite players to build around then to collect 4 or 5 of the top 5 players in the league at their particular position. The Pistons method is actually quite the anomoly.

I think the Rockets could win a title if they upgraded one or two more positions on their roster and all the stars aligned to where all the starters had career seasons all in the same season. Its possible, but its still more likely to trade for a superstar player and build around them.

5. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

In 2012, drafting #6 via the New York Knicks are the Houston Rockets.

Superstar acquired?

6. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I disagree. I have been saying for the past year or so that they did not need a superstar necessarily. You can tell by just watching the team. Also, i am tired of people pulling that "closer" myth out of their arses. We have multiple players on the team who are capable of closing.

7. ashishduh

ashishduh Contributing Member

Nobody can even define superstar. Ben Wallace was the best defender and 2nd best center overall, that's not superstar? Anthony can't even D up old guys like Pierce but he's a superstar that can carry a team to victory? (no he actually can't, he's a perennial first round exit type player)

8. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I think I put it as having a guy playing at 1st or 2nd team All NBA level...I don't know that it's an absolute they be named, but I'd say it's pretty damn telling.

Wallace was 2nd team all NBA in 2004 when the Pistons won that title.

9. coweye

coweye Member

If a player is interested in a Franchise full of tradition and teamplay we could sign a Superstar via Free Agency. But I don't see any because those players are loyal and stay with their teams. Example Kevin Durant. The only chance to get a Superstar is via Draft.Even this most players are looking for big markets today.Somehow we stuck :(:confused::(

10. ashishduh

ashishduh Contributing Member

Lowry is playing at that level.

11. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

The Rockets better start losing some games very soon, because people are getting more and more angry around here every day. If this winning continues this place might just blow up. The Rockets won't have any fans at all if this ridiculous winning continues. Maybe McHale should be fired.

12. Dei

Dei Member

Yes, we do. STFU. This type of praise pats you at the back while kicks you in the groin.

13. konver5ation

konver5ation Member

Answer to the question of the article....

Put _________ on this team and tell me what you have: A Championship Contender.

Just select from the list:
    Carmelo Anthony
    Lebron James
    Rudy Gay
    Kevin Durant

Leave the team as it: A 6-8 seed first round sleeper.

So do we need a superstar? To contend for a championship, yes. To be a good, entertaining, playoff team, not at all.

Personally, I'll give you Scola/K-Mart/Dragic & all the draft picks we have to make that deal happen for any of those guys.

14. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

They just stole the idea from my long-standing sig.

15. Merla08

Merla08 Member

Kevin McHale is our Super Star :)

16. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Nice article but it's your definition of not needing a superstar. If the Rockets want to stay competitive and be a tough out in the playoffs then they will be fine as constructed but if they want to win a title, which is the goal, then they certainly do need a superstar.

The Pistons are the exception to a very strong rule...what was the last team that even contended without a superstar besides the Pistons?

17. ribbit

ribbit Member

Rockets need a superstar. But, at present, they're doing the right thing while looking for one. (uhmm... I don't want to make this another you-no-what thread. :) )

18. ribbit

ribbit Member

fixed. sorry, can't edit yet.

19. val_modus

val_modus Member

Get an elite small forward that can break down his defender and create his own look towards the end of a game (Danny Granger or Iggy type).. this team has enough pieces and depth to overcome the deficiency of not having a superstar

20. Billionzz

Billionzz Contributing Member

Lowry is a star just not a superstar there aren't that many superstars in the league and only one is a point (Rose).