1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[hoopsworld]Houston Rockets Don’t Need A “Superstar”

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by phantoman, Jan 24, 2012.

1. phantoman

phantoman Contributing Member

I know hoopsworld isnt a creditable source but this is a nice article on our recent wins.. alot of Da Bears qoutes in here.

lock if already posted please

http://www.hoopsworld.com/houston-rockets-dont-need-a-super-star

2. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

As long as there are never any Rockets opponents above the Minnesota Timberwolves' level, they sure don't.

3. phantoman

lol, i'll agree with you clutch but i do like the team philosphy - denver did it after melo left last year which is promising. But I do like the qoutes from Da Bear - sounds like he is trying to lead the younger players and showing it on the court.

4. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Lol you said it before I could Clutch. :p

5. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

The 2003 Detroit Pistons didn't have a superstar ;)

6. Bill Worrell

Bill Worrell Member

no they had 4 all-stars 1 year...:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

7. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

Umm no... They had one all star that year and that was Ben Wallace. :p

8. treyk3

treyk3 Member

We have three all-star caliber players (even though one isn't performing like one so far this season) and I think we found our Super Star.

9. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

[rquoter]
    “It’s just communication,” Samuel Dalembert told HOOPSWORLD. “You have to be with the kind of style of coach he is. He knows how to relate to guys. He’s been great for me because he has a lot to do with my offense and helping me out there. He’s that type of guy that really knows how to push you and motivate you. Sometimes things aren’t falling or guys are struggling in the game, but he’s out there with that positive, optimistic attitude and keeping us and our minds on the right track. He lets us know that we’re getting closer.”[/rquoter]

Interesting ...

10. HOUROCKETS713

HOUROCKETS713 Member

we do need a star :mad::mad::mad::mad:

11. senter

senter Member

i saw that article. when i saw that Bill Ingrim wasn't the one who wrote it, i decided to actually read it haha. Nice read to keep me entertained at work

12. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

We are better defensively, might be, but that's only because Parsons can actually play it and we have Dalembert. We'll see around all-star break where we stand because we are numbers wise the same as last year.

13. phantoman

the pistons had 4 players that could defend and 4 2 way players.

That is why they didnt need a superstar.

Billups
    Hamilton
    Prince
    Wallace
    Wallace

I think all were all stars sometime in the career...

We have

Lowry
    Martin
    Parsons
    Scola
    Dalemebert

You could argue that Lowry/Martin/Scola and maybe Dalembert could make an Allstar Game. But we lack the 2 way players.

If you were to have the our current team play that Piston team, I am sure we'd loose.

Billups vs Lowry is a tie
    Kmart vs Hamilton - Rip wins out because he closes out the shooter and could chase Kmart around, Kmart wouldnt be able to do the same on Hamilton
    Parson vs Prince - Parsons may have the edge but Prince is really savy and plays great D. I think this could be a Tie or slight edge to Prince.
    Scola vs R.Wallace - Wallace was a PF that could should the 3 and is very mobile, Scola's D really suffers when he goes to far out side the box and wouldn't be able match well, only thing that Scola has is his post moves and mid-range that would frustrate Wallace - I'd consider this a tie on the offensive side but Wallace on the D would win out.
    Dalembert vs B.Wallace - Dalembert cant body up very well, Hayes at 6'6 did really well on him - that being said Ben would be about the same as Chuck but with more height and more muscles. Dalembert wins offensive wise but I think Wallace could cancel each out. But as far as achoring the team D - I think dalembert is good coming from the weak side and getting blocks. Overall this is a Push.

Overall I think Pistons are still way better than our current Rockets, the pistons were feared because of their play and Wallace as an enforcer. Houston looks weak comparatively.

1 person likes this.
  14. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Yet, their supporting cast consisted of Richard Hamilton, Chauncey Billups, Rasheed Wallace (later on), Elden Campbell, Memhet Okur, Mike James, Tayshuan Prince (all-world defender), Corliss Williamson, and Lindsey Hunter (another really good defender).

That team did not have any superstar, but they had depth and a number of players who had offensive skills and defensive intensity.

We may not need a superstar, but we do need more dynamic players.

15. heartofachamp34

I can definitely see us following the 'Detroit blueprint' of a collection of sub-Superstar talent that becomes recognized as All-stars for their success together. The biggest point of emphasis is having lockdown defenders at all 5 positions.

We're 3/5 of the way there... Dalembert has the rebounding and block shot prowess of Big Ben, Parsons has the makings of a Tayshaun Prince as an elite defensive wing, and we know we already have a Billups-like stud, team leader, and clutch shotmaker (and probably a better passer) at PG in Lowry. CLee could definitely fit the Rip role playing the mid-range game coming off of curls and being a secondary ball mover next to Lowry. The question is who can we move KMart and/or Scola for to fill the Rasheed spot at PF? Or else hope PPat develops into that?

Alternatively, we have to hope there's a superstar C/PF out there smart enough to see that coming to an almost-there Rockets squad that's perfectly suited to compliment them + a legit All Star PG on a role player contract... is a wiser choice than following the trend of teaming up with another big name Superstar at the expense of gutting the rest of the team and ending up with a D-League supporting cast. Alas, the current crop of straight out of HS/1 year of college, glamour-seeking superstars doesn't give me confidence in this scenario.

16. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

That team also beat a Shaq-Kobe led team, as well as a 60 win Indiana team. People often point out that they were a dysfunctional bunch, and Karl Malone was injured in the Finals, but that team was still favored to crush Detroit.

Most Laker teams would wipe this team out so fast in playoff series, it's not even funny. I doubt we could muster one win against the current, weak version. We wouldn't have enough defense or athleticism to beat such a team.

Even with our 7 game winning streak will still sitting at the 8 spot with Portland (tied) and the Lakers a half game behind.

17. lalala902102001

The last team that won a championship without a superstar was the Pistons and they had four all-stars on that team.

Yes we need a superstar.

18. roslolian

roslolian Member

Um yeah, that's because that Pistons team was one of the strongest NBA teams ever assembled. People always called them the "no superstar" team, but the fact is 4 of those guys at their peak were pretty much all star calibre players. Wallace and Wallace really dominated the front court, and held their own against Shaq and Malone. Backcourt of Rip and Chauncy had two veteran playmakers who played solid D and shot lights out from the backcourt, and Prince was an elite glue-guy. For the bench they had Mehmet Okur, Corliss Williamson, Mike James, James Posey (I think?), and that other pg dude I forgot, but he was also pretty good.

Rasheed Wallace for that particular season was a real difference maker, he played to his potential for once and became Tim Duncan. So yeah, our team looks weak compared to Detroit, but I'd favor the champion Pistons over any team in the league now, including Miami, Dallas, Lakers and OKC.

19. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Sounds like fire and brimstone to me. This quote means nothing unless we hear Budinger say it.

20. HorneR

HorneR Member

We definitely DO need a star. Or at the very least a guy to take the last shot.

Lowry's done alright in this role, but he's a Nash. It just isn't playing to his strengths.