1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Keep an eye on Deron Williams, because the Rockets sure will

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jan 18, 2012.

?

Would you trade Kyle Lowry (+ more) for Deron Williams?

1. YES

312 vote(s)
    48.0%
  2. NO

338 vote(s)
    52.0%
  1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

because he plays 200 percent nearly all the time. That is his mentality......
    The numbers aren't as important as the supporting cast. We do not have one single allstar on our team. That is HIS accomplishment.

2. CJLarson

CJLarson Member

Just from the rumor page, those are always compressed. Also, only paid 2 bucks for Insider and ESPN magazine subscription from a deal of the day. WELL WORTH IT!!

3. RedStaag

RedStaag Rookie

pipe dream, no way deron comes here. Why? So he can be stuck on another mediocre squad

4. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

Elaborate please.

5. thekad

thekad Member

Impossible. The Nets won't trade Deron until Howard is completely out of the picture.

6. RocketFan#1

RocketFan#1 Member

We've got an interesting team. They are young and have potential. Why are you people never satisfied, and perpetually proposing these ridiculous trades that will never happen.

7. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Because the point is to win titles not have "an interesting team." It has been 17 years since we had a title team...would like another before my 40s.

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Keeping an eye on him is ok....But nothing is imminent.

9. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Deron for Lowry would be close to a wash. Lowry's two years off-set by Deron being 3 inches taller. Lowry...shocking to say this - actually is a better 3 point shooter, but Deron is better at penetrating and dish by far...and is a more potent score in the lane and thus more likely to drive double teams.

So yeah, it would be a good trade for us.

But we have to be careful here. Deron + Howard would leave us in a similar T-mac / Yao situation with not much supporting cast....and it would take years potentially to rebuild a contender still.

If we could do Deron for Lowry straight up that would be cool...but doubtful. If we could trade K-mart for Deron, well, that would be amazing but not going to happen. We could do scola but then who would we trade for Howard?

Sounds like a long shot to make it all work out.

10. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Read your post again, then pretend like you are Billy King, then read your post again.

11. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Remember how Orlando almost went after Morey for tampering with Dwight? Well Morey REALLY needs to tamper like crazy, if he wants to even think of doing something like this.

In the perfect world, you keep Martin at all costs because he is the perfect complement to an inside force like Dwight (which makes me so sad that we never got to see Yao play with Martin). Lowry and Scola will have to go for salary purposes, and then next year your inside rotation will look like Dwight / Patterson / Donuts / (not sure if Dalembert might not also be a cap casualty, but it would be great to keep him). Everything else on the team is tradeable/cuttable.

The X-factor in all of this is whether or not Morey could convince Orlando to deal Dwight to us at a discounted price since we'd have no guarantee at all of an extension. IF IF IF IF (so many if's as to be prohibitive in my opinion) Morey can be reasonably sure of these pieces falling into place, THEN you go forward on making Lowry available in a trade with New Jersey. Nothing less, since yes I do consider Lowry a better person, player, asset, whatever-have-you, than Deron. Three inches matters why? No one ever talks about Deron's height and weight advantage over Chris Paul. Lowry is at least Paul's size and at least as good a defender. A PER of 24 (which is what he's putting up this year) would be higher than anything Deron's ever done. Perception ONLY matters here as it pertains to Dwight and his desire to go a team such as ours.

12. Durrby

Durrby Contributing Member

I think Morey only trades for Williams if he can pull a 3 way trade that brings back someone that would compel Williams to at the very least pick-up his option year. Perhaps trading K-Mart, Scola, Dragic, and a draft pick for Williams and then trade Lowry, Patterson, Budinger, and a draft pick for Pau Gasol.

Something like that would guarantee that Williams would get to play with an all-star in Gasol and still have the possibility of getting Dwight Howard this summer. Obviously that would be threading the needle but if anyone can pull it off it would be Morey. I have no doubt he is going to exhaust all options of doing something like that.

13. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

You dump the entire roster if you can bring in Deron and Howard. Morey has proven he can find talent to support superstars both through trades (Scola) and the draft (Landry, Ppat, Bud).

Trade Lowry, Martin, Scola no one on the roster should be untouchable.

14. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Why would Williams chose the Rockets over contenders?

No one wants to come to Houston to build a dynasty with Hasheem Thabeet.

15. CCorn

CCorn Member

You have to keep Martin if possible though, I think the combination of him and Dwill makes Houston almost impossible for Dwight to turn down. Kmart could average over 25 for a season with those guys around him.

16. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Just to reiterate:

I checked Dallas' cap space for next year.

Big-a$$ trouble for us.

If (when) we don't get Dwight or Deron, let's just hope they wind up elsewhere.

I cannot watch Cuban continue with a great team.

17. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

If we were assured of getting Howard and Williams, and that they would sign extensions, I wouldn't argue. I'm just having a hard time thinking it is the least bit realistic. Of course, I didn't think we could get Francis, or McGrady, or Scola. Hope springs eternal, but the spring is in danger of becoming dry.

18. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

On second thought by adding Deron for Lowry and Scola you could potentially keep Martin if Dwight told Orlando "I am signing with Houston get er done" like Lebron did to Cleveland and Bosh did with the Raptors.

Offer up some young talent like Bud, Parsons, Ppat, picks added to some expiring 09 busts to make the salaries work.

Your depth would be hurting with just a big 3 of Martin, Howard, and Deron but Morey could do some magic I am sure.

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

You know, the last time we had a championship team we got the benefit of home grown talent in Hakeem - sure he was not from Houston, but most of his basketball was played here, and it was his home.

Which made it easy for him to stay here - same for Clyde and him wanting to come back.

DWill wanting to go home makes sense, as did Melo etc....

I hope we could get a player to like Houston, but what happened to all the home grown talent, Houston used to have a lot of players from there, where did they all go?

The last notable one I can recall was Rashard Lewis and Rudy blew it on him.....

DD

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Rashard Lewis was never going to become a top tier, or even a second tier star.....
    Third tier....he was