1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Calvin Murphy: Great Story and His Hall of Fame Jersey

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BasketballMind, Jan 15, 2012.

1. BasketballMind

BasketballMind Contributing Member

Great Story:

Being able to see and hear Calvin Murphy broadcasting a Rockets game once again (Rockets vs. Kings) brought back some great memories my family and I shared during his years as the Rockets broadcaster.

During the season when the Rockets were coming off back to back championships, my family and I took a trip to Vancouver. Do you remember when fans used to always bake him cookies so he could eat them during the games? ... Well before we left for Vancouver, my mom baked big cookies shaped like jerseys, decorated them, and each cookie had a different jersey number on them to represent the players. As soon as we land in Vancouver, we check into our hotel ... on the way up the escalator, the entire Indiana Pacers team comes down the escalator (wow #1) ... We put our bags in our room and head straight to the game.

When we get to the game, I find out that we have floor seats directly behind the Rockets bench (Wow #2) ... Well, of course we bring the cookies with us ... (Before the game starts) My mom, nervous I guess, asks me to take the cookies to Calvin (which was just a few steps away) ... I bring him the cookies, point to my family and said "These cookies are from my family, we came all the way from Houston." He was very grateful ... Then asks "Which one is your mom?" ... I say "That one" ... He says "So who's the other lady?" ... I say "That's my aunt" ... He asks "She single?" ... "Haha, Yep" ... He gets up and walks with me back to my family, says his thank you's, then I introduce him to my aunt ... (They dated for a long time after that) ... (No children from her though :D) ... He then looks at me and says "Come with me for a second." I'm following him, and realize a minute later (OMG, he's taking me into the players locker room!) (Wow #3)

First thing I see is Robert Horry getting a massage, and other players just walking around. He introduced me to all of the Rockets except for Hakeem, who was already warming up on the court ... After we're done in the locker room, I'm thinking he's walking me back to my seat ... NOPE, he walks me on the court where Hakeem is warming up (Wow #4) ... He introduces me to Hakeem, and Hakeem just talks away (I don't know what the hell he was saying) ... and he just starts laughing, "ha ha ha ha ha!" ... So I laugh along with him, "Hahahahahaha!" ... it was a great .... laugh. I finally start walking back to my seat ... on the way back fans (children and adults) are yelling "How did you get to do that?!" "Can you go get autographs for me?!" ... I simply say, "I don't even know how I got to do that"

You Ever Wonder Why Robert Horry Was Included In That Trade For Charles Barkley?

After the Rockets won those two championships, some of the players were young, and got arrogant ... Including Horry who felt like he deserved a bigger role. Behind the scenes it got ugly ... During the Vancouver game, Horry got mad because he didn't touch the ball on one of the posessions ... He took himself out of the game. Twice Rudy T called for him to sub back in ... The first time Horry shouted out "Nah, I'm tired!" ... About 5 minutes later, Rudy called him to come back in again and Horry shouted out, "Hell naw, I got a headache!" ... That was the beginning of the end for Horry and the Rockets ... Just thought I should share.

We get back to the hotel that night, I see Rudy T walking into his room ... the very room next to ours (Wow #5) ... and one of the assistant coaches walking in his room directly accross the hall from our room ... So I'm thinking (Are all the Rockets staying here?!) ... I go the lobby, and the entire Rockets team are hanging around, and I get everyones signature on a white t shirt I had on. (wow #6) ... From that point that was the third time one of the assistant coaches saw me that day (from the game, to seeing him walk to his room, to the lobby) and he just starts laughing and gives me a hug. What an amazing experience.

Calvin Murphy Hall of Fame Jersey

For some reason I'm not allowed to attach images, but if anyone is interested after reading this, for a picture of what I'm about to mention, you can email me @ mojov3@gmail.com ... Mods, if I'm not allowed to do this, please let me know and I will edit this out immediately:

After that experience, Calvin and my family became very close. Without specifying how we own this very significant memorabilia ... As we all know, when players are inducted into the hall of fame, during the ceremony they receive a huge framed hall of fame jersey ... which my family has owned for years now. Championship rings are awesome, collectible cards etc. But nothing comes closer than the treasure of being inducted in the hall of fame and receiving this framed jersey that represents such a wonderful achievement ... Priceless ... We are now offering this significant piece to the highest bidder.

I will be listing this piece on ebay soon, but I would love to give Clutchfan members first opportunity to give me an offer to be able to collect this significant item. Mods, if I'm not allowed to do this, I apologize and will take this part down ... If I am, please allow me to attach pictures so I'll be able to post the picture of the framed Hall of Fame jersey. If any members are interested ... Email me again @ mojov3@gmail.com, or the email I have listed on my sig.

Thank you all for reading, and have a blessed day! ... Go Rockets!

#1 BasketballMind, Jan 15, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  2. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Uh, OK. Wow! That's an amazing story. I suppose you can't simply say what you'd take for it, can you? (I don't email through the board any longer, except to Clutch)

3. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Just upload it to

http://imageshack.us/

4. BasketballMind

I sure will ... Thank you! ... Ill let you two know as soon as I do.

5. BasketballMind

Thank you Deckard, I'm scrambling right now to try to find the right price to list ... Its so rare to have a piece like this as the only people that would usually have this are hall of famers themselves. It will probably be listed for 8 - 10k OBO

6. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Thanks for the reply, but that's a zero more than I would consider. As much as I'd love to have it, my S.O. would kill me if I spent more than that. Good luck! It should fetch a nice amount for you. I was lucky enough to see Murph play for the Rocks. He certainly deserved that award. Have you asked him if he'd be interested in buying it back? That would be the best conclusion, IMO. :)-

7. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Why are you selling this rare item?

8. BasketballMind

9. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Excellent question. My guess would be the money. If I had it (and I won't), I would definitely keep it on a wall in my study.

1 person likes this.
  10. BasketballMind

lol, I completely understand ... Without saying too much, I don't think he would be able to buy it back which is part of the undisclosed reason why we have this piece. I really appreciate your interest Deckard.

11. BasketballMind

We've had this for years ... As Deckard mentioned ... Hanging up on our wall ... But it would really help my family out if it were to be sold.

12. BasketballMind

And yes, he definitely earned and deserved it ... I was honored enough to be able to play against him one on one a few times a long time ago when he would have his house parties ... Beat him twice :D ... He was in his late 40's, early 50:s maybe, but who cares ... A wins a win right? Lol

#12 BasketballMind, Jan 15, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2012
  13. daspydamayn

daspydamayn Member

selling an item of great worth for the sake of the family. MAN props to you sir

1 person likes this.
  14. BasketballMind

I really appreciate that, thank you

15. ross84

ross84 Contributing Member

Why do you guys want a jersey of a bad father at best and an incest rapist at worst? Basketball isn't everything. Sorry for the harsh words, but I don't know how else to say it.

16. BasketballMind

Coming from someone that actually knows him and his children ... I'm just curious as to how you know he's a bad father? ... And as far as him *allegedly* being a rapist, there's a lot more to it than the general public knows that I won't discuss. But he was found not guilty ... Without having the money that most celebrities have to help influence a judge/jurors decision.

You have every right to your opinion, but just FYI ... If you were attempting to sell something of value, I would have kept that type of comment to myself for the simple fact that it could possibly impede your progress ... Especially if you were trying to help out your family.

17. onreego

onreego Member

Then don't . Duh

1 person likes this.
  18. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

That's a lot of money, even for disposable income type of money.

19. ross84

ross84 Contributing Member

I wasn't trying to inhibit you from selling your item and didn't know you were doing so to help your family, just stating my opinion. Wish you the best of luck.

20. Roxs-Redemption

Great read... BasketballMind.
    Thank you for sharing, it must be a really overwhelming experience you had.