1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros pick up former Mets top prospect Fernando Martinez

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by PippenAintEZ, Jan 11, 2012.

1. PippenAintEZ

PippenAintEZ Member

So it looks like we picked up Fernando Martinez off waivers, per MLB Trade Rumors. Low risk pick-up, and surely he is better than a few of the guys we currently have on our 40-man roster, so no real reason to not do this.

He was once a highly rated prospect for the Mets, but he never panned out. I heard injuries probably played a part, I think his knees. We could always use him as a DH next year to help preserve his legs. Lower pressure environment should also benefit him. Hopefully we find a diamond in the rough, but if anything, maybe we can resurrect his career (feels weird saying that since he is only 23) and create some trade value for us during the next couple of years.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/01/fernando-martinez-claimed-by-nl-central-team.html

2. moonsh0t

moonsh0t Member

I love that we picked this kid up. He was the #20 prospect according to BA pre-2008. Still only 23!

3. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Astros claim former Mets top prospect Martinez
    Multiple injuries set back touted power-hitting outfielder
    By Brian McTaggart / MLB.com | 01/11/12 2:58 PM EST

HOUSTON -- The Astros have won a waiver claim on former Mets top prospect Fernando Martinez, ESPN.com reported Wednesday.

Widely considered one of the Mets' top prospects from 2006-10, Martinez was billed as a power-hitting outfielder expected to be a cornerstone of the Mets' lineup throughout this decade. But multiple injuries and an arthritic right knee have prevented Martinez from appearing in more than 82 games in any of the past three seasons.

The Astros will have to clear a spot on the 40-man roster to make room for Martinez.

Forty-seven of those appearances have come with the Major League club, though almost exclusively as a reserve. Martinez hit .183 with two home runs during those stints. He hit .260 with eight home runs in 63 games for Triple-A Buffalo last season.

Once considered all but untouchable in trade talks even for top players, Martinez is not necessarily headed outside the organization. But because of his pedigree and age -- he remains just 23 years old -- another team could easily take a flier on him, considering the negligible cost of doing so.

4. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

A 23 year old with an arthritic right knee? One can see why the Mets set him free.

5. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Wait, we already have a 24 year old Martinez with supposedly bad knees.

6. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Henry Villar DFA'd to make room for Fernando Martinez on the 40-man roster.

7. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Also, here is the complete history of Fernando Martinez's health.

http://www.metsminorleagueblog.com/fernando-martinezs-injury-history/

1 person likes this.
  8. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I was looking at Astros.com today and saw the Astros picked up Fernando Martinez almost a week ago. I know he's got the knee issues, but geez the Mets were high on him for years. Very surprised the Astros got him for nothing. Here's to hoping he can get healthy.

Obviously I should have read the Minor League Thread, but news in a broad subject thread gets buried and I didn't see it scanning thread titles in the forum. It's a dedicated Astros forum so I think news like this deserves its own thread.

1 person likes this.
  9. PippenAintEZ

PippenAintEZ Member

Thanks Clutch. When I originally posted it, I wasn't quite sure where to put it, so minor league thread seemed like the most appropriate spot. Hopefully he taps that potential, and playing for us should benefit him, without all the pressure and the NE hype.

10. RedDynasty

RedDynasty Member

LOVE it!! If he can stay healthy, this guy could be a beast. So far liking all of Lunhow's moves.

11. bustanut82

bustanut82 Member

Yeah most of his moves are very low budget and high rewards! go astros and hopefully they can put together a better season in 2012!