1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Power rankings] Peter King is officially a troll

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by The Cat, Jan 9, 2012.

1. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

If the Texans need any additional motivation, take a look at Peter King's power rankings today:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/peter_king/01/08/wild.card.round/2.html

I know power rankings are pointless, but figured this deserves its own special mention because of its ridiculousness. King has the Texans (11-6) behind 9-8 Denver as well as 10-7 Atlanta. You know, that's the same Falcons team who lost to the Texans head-to-head and has a worse record. Oh, and they embarrassingly lost their playoff opener 24-2.

Incredible disrespect. Hope the Texans can channel it into positive energy.

2. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Ranked behind two teams that were eliminated from the playoffs that we also happened to beat? I'm surprised he didn't put us behind Cincinnati.

3. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I don't know whom I detest more, king or costas. both of them come off as incredibly pretentious pricks.

4. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I was surprised when I read that this morning, too, because King generally seems to talk up the Texans more than other national writers. I think he's friends with Eric Winston, too.

5. The Cat

He has in general over the years - I think he and Rick Smith are close. But ever since Leinart went down, he's had a preconceived notion about the Texans with Yates and he refuses to consider ANY evidence to the contrary whatsoever.

That's my biggest problem with a few of the national types - King chief among them. They can get very arrogant about their knowledge, and they watch games with preconceived notions and see only what fits their bias.

6. mgraye2969

mgraye2969 Member

Although he gave us a horrible ranking. At least he gave some love to our players.

7. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Haha. Good one.

He's a lazy sportswriter; the very embodiment of why his breed is slowly dying off. He doesn't know anything; read a column of his - "maybe" and "perhaps" and "I don't know" punctuates every part of it.

8. TheChosenOne

TheChosenOne Contributing Member

Peter King is a punk-ass b****.

9. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Is he a troll for proclaiming Foster one of the offensive players of the week? Watt as the defensive player of the week? Turk as the special teams player of the week?

10. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Peter King has always had a real jackhole attitude towards the Texans.

11. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

Denver/Pittsburgh I'll give him a break but Atlanta? That one makes 0 sense.

12. The Cat

He could fill out his All-Pro ballot with 22 Texans, and it still wouldn't change the fact that putting the Texans behind Atlanta and Denver in a post-weekend power ranking is certifiably insane.

13. Hey Now!

But The Cat, you're ignoring the Iowa factor here: if those teams played on a random corn field in Iowa, who would win? NOT TJ YATES!

He does no homework; lacks conviction; and is easily swayed by the most useless, irrelevant information available. That he ranks Houston behind those team is the least surprising development of this postseason.

14. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

With all due respect to The Cat......who cares?

I wish Houstonians would get over this Napoleon complex we seem to have and quit wringing their hands about not getting enough national respect. Just enjoy the ride.

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Exactly, just win the games...who cares what anyone else thinks?

DD

16. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

yeah, i don't get it. to me, this season has already been a success. of course i'd like to see us beat baltimore, but even if we don't, it was a hell of a year.

17. couple of d's

couple of d's Member

We could win the Super Bowl and people would probably say we only won because Peyton Manning was injured this year. Who freaking cares what media thinks? Haters gonna hate. Go Texans!!

18. Hey Now!

I agree. My issue isn't about respect toward the Texans; my beef, personally, is that King is treated as a viable journalistic voice among NFL fans: people read his column; people watch him on NBC; people believe he knows what he's talking about. But rather than using that space to heighten discussion and raise IQs, he lazily feeds stupidity to stupid people, and that's disappointing.

I don't care if people tell our story or not; but I would prefer that if they do, they get it right.

19. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I normally take these rankings with a grain of salt but this is incredibly insulting (and not surprising). I ain't mad. I just wonder what could go through someone's mind that would have them behind 2 teams that lost...one that scored a whopping 2 points (and that the Texans already beat WITH YATES) this season and the other that lost to Denver after being overwhelming favorites (and that the Texans whooped early in the season).

20. CCorn

CCorn Member

Every Houston victory is a fluke, we all know that by now. Of course people shouldn't give us credit for what we have done.