1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What's so great about Parsons?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jogo, Dec 1, 2011.

1. lauradelenn

lauradelenn Member

You hit the nail right on the head, sealclubber - mindset.

I didn't remember noticing him much before the Clips game, but because I'd heard others talking about him, I focused on him when we played the Clips in LA. He puts in an intense effort - someone wrote in a post beneath yours that he focuses like Shane Battier and I'd agree with that - Chandler just hustles, but with a purpose. He stayed on his man (don't remember who offhand) and guarded him well. He had a knack for being in the right place at the right time.

I sincerely hope that he plays smart enough that he turns into Shane Battier 2.0...or even better, but for right now I'd settle for SB 2.0.

Sidenote: did anyone else note bud's face in last night's game? He looked dark and angry. the mood suited his game though; he played well, at least in stretches, especially paired with Terrence. Being moved to the bench because of poor defensive effort, perhaps?

2. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

upside?

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/CO1UvhQMnRk?version=3&feature=player_detailpage"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/CO1UvhQMnRk?version=3&feature=player_detailpage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>

3. eman

eman Contributing Member

Man, I hope he'll turn into Bobby Jones. I thought he did a GREAT job defending Durant. As a defender, he looks longer, more attentive, more active, more up-close-and-personal than anyone else I've seen at our three-spot this year. I wonder if he could play the two.

4. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I think he should play the 5.

5. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

You still sayin that after watching his defense against Durant last night ?

I Like Bud on the offensive end , he's a good shooter but I think Parsons has the more well rounded game , far more physical with better length and a vastly superior defender .... Solid defense is a must at the SF spot in the NBA.

I really think Parsons and Morris will make Bud expendable as well as push Twill to the SG spot ...... which is where I prefer to see him anyway. He's better suited there physically than at the SF where he faces much bigger players routinely.

This team as constructed now with Martin , Hill , Scola and Bud isnt going to stop anyone defensively .... Im Ok with Scola's prodution but would attempt to move Martin , Hill and Bud allowing for C.Lee and Twill to man the SG spot , Parsons and Morris to hold down the SF and more minutes for Patterson in a much shorter rotation. Defensively they would be significantly better without question.
    Getting a solid young big back in any deal would be paramount for that trio would be priority.

6. Ming The King

Ming The King Member

This team as constructed now with Martin , Hill , Scola and Bud isnt going to stop anyone defensively .... Im Ok with Scola's prodution but would attempt to move Martin , Hill and Bud allowing for C.Lee and Twill to man the SG spot , Parsons and Morris to hold down the SF and more minutes for Patterson in a much shorter rotation. Defensively they would be significantly better without question.
    Getting a solid young big back in any deal would be paramount for that trio would be priority.[/QUOTE]

Agree, with parsons and Dalembert(in better shape please) insteed Bud and hill this team is much better in defence. Add Lowry and we are ready

Scola and Martin bring offensive
    Parsons and Delembert defensive
    and Lowry bring good thins in both sides

and from the bench bring Lee, pat and Dragic (and sometimes bud)

yesterday Bud, hill and Flynn defensive was horrible

7. lauradelenn

lauradelenn Member

Really Carl ? I'm genuinly curious - what makes you think that he'd be good (effective) at the 5? He looks a little light to me; I saw the man he was guarding last night just shove him to the side during one play. I'm not sure that Parsons has enough sand in him at this point to be a 5.

I know he's got some length and athleticism, but (IMO) he needs more muscles/weight/strength.

8. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Well, can't be worse than Jordan Hill and Sam Dalembert over the last couple games. :)

Anyway, I agree 5 is probably too much, but I think Parsons can be a good stretch-4 in a small-ball lineup. He might be small, but the man can rebound (avg. 10.6 per 36 minutes) and I think that's a sign he can keep-up as a interior player at least for periods.

As far as lineups go, the best lineup right now is probably the one that the team finished the game with: Dragic (or Lowry when he gets back), Martin, Parsons, Scola and Patterson (who, by the way, seems to be finally getting over his ankle surgery and lack of training camp).

I'd play these guys as much as possible with some of Budinger, Dalember and Williams and Lee (when he comes back) mixed in.

I would REALLY stay away from lineups involving Jordan Hill or Jonny Flynn-- these two, for example were part of the lineup that blew the double-digit lead while Durant sat.

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

It is still true, most 2nd round picks do bust out, but I do like Parsons a lot, love his hustle especially on the glass and on D.

I like CBud too, but he was the 5th option out there, and as some have pointed out he gets more involved when he gets to shoot, and is much more effective, maybe him being the number 1 option of the bench brigade will work out more for him.

I would trade anyone, CBud, Parsons, Morris....any of them for an upgrade, while they are all nice, none of them are irreplaceable.

Again, it is a wholesale situation for me, if anyone calls for any of our players, we should be listening.

DD

10. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

He's a cutie pie basketball player.

:p

11. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

This is what I am talking about in regards to team and over reacting. This kid is only a 2nd round draft pick (39th), as he has alot of potential to be a serviceable NBA player. Personally, I'm not going to heap alot of blame and despair on him, in the way I would Kevin Martin. He has not been that bad, in my eyes, especially for a rookie. More so in his favor, it's a good roster acquisition for such a low risk player. With him being a pretty good passer, that works better for alot of teams, since he can keep the offense moving and is not relied upon to score big points, yet be a nice shooting threat.

He did an admirable job on Durant, even better than some so-called borderline NBA stars, who cannot play or put any kind of effort on the defensive end to save their lives, but want a $12-$17 million per year contract.

Don't trade this kid, away.

12. Yodels

Yodels Contributing Member

Agree here. Lowry can be paired with a guard that can create a little little bit so he can play the scorer a couple plays. I see Twill playing the Joe Dumars role to Lowry's Isiah Thomas. If Twill can can shoot 1000 jumpers a day he will have the confidence to shoot more, which in turn will give confidence to the coaching staff to play him at the 2. Right now he's passing up too many open shots.

1000 shots a day would help Parsons as well.

As far as Flynn goes, I'm not a fan of the Avery or Dennis Johnson style guard on the offensive end who does not have their ability on the defensive end. You would be better off with an Aaron Brooks type.

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

no homo? woman?

14. thething

thething Contributing Member

Morey's 2nd round picks:

Landry
    Budinger
    Parsons
    Taylor
    Dorsey
    Llull

Of Morey's 2nd round picks, 3 have been decent players, 2 have been busts, and Llull should be a decent player when he gets here.

A 66.7% success rate is not bad.

15. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Since the salaries of both Bud and Parsons are under $1M, they must be packaged in a trade to get equitable value. The player to trade is Morris for several reasons -- bigger salary ($1.82M). a tweener who is neither PF nor SF, and must get close to score efficiently (thus packing the paint to the detriment of Scola/Patterson and Dalembert/Hill). Both Chase and Chandler are better passers, better at shooting from distance, taller and more athletic or equally athletic compared to Morris.

#115 thumbs, Jan 8, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2012
  16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

They do not bust out, they are just not talented enough......no real expectations there

But if you watch players like Boozer, Millsap, Gibson.....those guys are for real

17. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

It's better than a lot of teams do with first rounders with guaranteed contracts.

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Mobley too....there have been some 2nd round hits for sure, but most never make it.

DD

19. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Dorsey had the physical tools to make it. He just did have his head on straight. He was a rebounding machine when he got minutes. He just couldn't think at NBA speed and was a little lazy.

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Nowadays teams go to Europe or the Dleague to grab talents...... teams that are not are not situated on South Beach.