1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I think this trade deadline, the Rockets will definitely choose a direction

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by meh, Jan 8, 2012.

1. meh

meh Contributing Member

For all the suffering Rockets fans, I among them, I think we'll finally see the Rockets make wholesale changes this trade deadline. From watching their early games, there's no doubt in my mind that this roster as constructed can't go on.

The Gasol trade was basically a sign that the Rockets don't think the current roster works. And while you may say the Rockets didn't make a Plan B trade, keep in mind that trades don't happen too often in the offseason. Look at this offseason. Lots of signings. Very few actual trades. My guess is that Morey will make one last ditch effort to get someone relevant at this point. But will blow things up if nothing comes to fruition later in the season.

Keep in mind that there's very good reason for waiting until the trade deadline.

1. Teams usually aren't that desperate to make a trade so early in the season.
    2. Teams usually don't see a need for certain position(s) until the trade deadline. And later in the season there are more injuries.
    3. Teams aren't usually too certain whether they want to mortgage the future until they're in the thick of the race.
    4. The Rockets record near the deadline can help determine if a minor upgrade can help, or if house cleaning is in order.
    5. Les would be more willing to tank for half a season.

From what I've seem so far, this roster is just too flawed for any one piece to work. Unless of course that piece is the unobtainable Dwight Howard. And I think by the trade deadline, Les will finally allow Morey to make the moves to rebuild at minimal financial losses.

1 person likes this.
  2. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

We really need to choose a direction. We have stood at the fork in the road for a couple years.

Sell Martin/Scola for whatever you can get and then try to consolidate a few of of our other assets. Unfortunately Hill,Budinger,Williams,Flynn,Thabeet have little to no value.

3. meh

meh Contributing Member

I think Scola and Martin can bring in some unexpected value. They are just way too good for semi-contenders not to take a hard look. And by semi-contenders I mean teams that are in the 4th, 5th, 6th seed types. In addition, I think Dalembert and Dragic both have low 1st rounder value. Especially Dalembert regardless of his play.

Overall, it should be an easy sell if Les and Morey is willing to go through it. And I think this trade deadline we'll finally see it.

4. cod

cod Member

Nick Collison was drafted by the Sonics and he's been with Sonics/OKC ever since. He's on Scola level contract.

The idea of clearing out everyone of value seems senseless to me. Unless the Rockets sign D-League players to all 15 spots there aren't going to have worse records than teams like the Wiz, NJ, Bobcats, Pistons, and Warriors.

5. smj

smj New Member

McHale must go first! He is NOT the coach that can make this team any better.

Still don't understand why he was chosen. Again, to save money??

6. Raven

Raven Member

The team's record is going to chose a direction for them, not the other way around. You can say one thing but if your record says something else, I know who I'm going to believe and it won't be the guy trying to sell tickets.

Morey is probably hoping he can swing a deadline deal and trade half our "assets" for Wade or Durant or something like that. Whatever. In the real word, the standings don't lie and the standings say the Rockets are a bad, but not horrible, team, but even that little mystery should shake itself out by the end of the month. Eventually, no amount of PR will be able to hide what the Rockets are and where they are heading.

7. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

I hope so but with Alexander holding the reigns, you never know. Ironically the owner, one person, is holding the whole development of this Rockets team back.

Alexander can blame himself for never winning a championship, the foundation for double-clutch was already there and he simply bought the Rockets at the right time.

Stern might need to go but Alexander even more.

8. varuscelli

varuscelli Contributing Member

For any who might wonder...

NBA 2012 Trade Deadline: March 15

1 person likes this.
  9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

The problem is that good management chooses a direction before one is chosen for them.

Right now the Rockets are HOPING to make a small run, and as such are stuck in nuetral, playing old guys and young guys, and letting some young guys rot on the bench.

And when a direction is chosen for them by not winning or by winning other teams will have already made trades as they chose a direction earlier, thus hurting the Rockets chances of getting better trades.

IMO, Morey knows the direction of the team, they took a step back by letting Battier and Hayes go, and he knows it, but he is kind of faux committed to it by not going all in on development......

Sort of....talking playoffs, as in "We will give it the old college try"....when the reality is that good teams know that already and go full development thus getting more ping pong balls.

Now, I am not blaming Morey, he is doing what Les asks him....so to me....this is 100% Les fault......he is turning into Drayton McLane before our very eyes.

DD

10. meh

meh Contributing Member

Huh? No they don't.

The Spurs didn't choose to tank for Duncan. Robinson forced their hand.
    The Lakers decided to stay mediocre with Kobe and crap surrounding cast. Jerry West just gave him to them out of the blue.
    The Pistons got their last piece with a deadline deal due to Portland being finally fed up with Wallace. It was opportunistic and not through thorough planning.
    Dallas just kept switching pieces around Dirk, and failed for like a decade before finally working last year.

Celtics and the Heat both planned, I grant you that.
    And the Rockets planned too with the Gasol trade.

11. meh

meh Contributing Member

The Rockets will get players back. You can't trade players for just draft picks. Most likely the Rockets will get some promising young player from a team that's in ~5th place. And that team wants to get into the top 3 and willing to give up that young promising player and a future pick. A trade will look something like that.

12. cod

cod Member

That wasn't really my point.

Anyway they're likely to get promising young players who are projected to be role players in such a trade. The Rockets don't need more middling players. They're youngest team full of those kind of players already.

13. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

Well, this draft is turning out to be an interesting one.

We have many picks that could become available to us (see Clutch's post a while back)

Add the Memphis pick (prob. going to be 15-20). Them making the playoffs and Knicks not making the playoffs would be fantastic for the Rockets (They really do not have any chemistry and they are one injury away from being a really, really bad team).

If we were to trade Martin and Scola and somehow manage to get another two picks, I think Morey would have an easier time trading up (even though I think trading up is exponentially tougher than people here like to make it seem). But, with 3-5 first round picks and a potential two second rounders, (deadline exp. contracts), and a few good young prospects, it makes for an interesting trade deadline and upcoming Draft.

A lot of people suggesting that we will never be as bad as the worst teams in the league (Cleveland, Washington,...) we don't have to be. Even if we are 5th-9th worst and Knicks finish out of the playoffs (still highly unlikely) we increase the odds of a top three pick.

Either way, to me, keeping an eye on our draft picks via Knicks and Mem. has been more interesting than watching some of our guys play at times.

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Not even close to true, Robinson was healthy for months of that season and they held him out anyway to get a higher pick.

What? The Lakers had a superstar in Kobe, and knew that they had people that wanted to play with him and in LA, not even remotely close again.

The Pistons were already REALLY good, again they were already contenders when they got Wallace.

Yes, but again they had a superstar already in Dirk - and Cuban would have had multiple rings if he would have kept Nash.

The Heat planned by jettising contracts to give them enough room, and the Rocket getting Gasol was a good move for sure, but not one that would have elevated them much more than they already were, they would not have been a championship contender getting Gasol and his declining game.

They would have been a "Fool the fans to sell tickets" slightly better team.

DD

15. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Looking at which players might be available, it might be best to stay put and just finish the season with the team at hand, unless someone throws a quality big or a scorer, which probably will not be the case.

The only player I would trade, affirmatively is Kevin Martin, because of what happened in the offseason. It probably is a good reason he's not playing that well, this season. I would offer him straight up for a 2012 Draft pick, unprotected. I'd also let him go, if he could get a more dynamic forward or guard, even though that player might be an inferior scorer.

16. Miracles Boys33

Trade the whole roster but Lowry,Dragic,Parsons,Morris,Scola,Martin

17. Olajuwon34

Olajuwon34 Member

I just hope they do something soon. It's so depressing watching this team play, there is absolutely no excitement or hope. Why can't we get at least one superstar on this team? Is it really that hard?

I really hate Yao Ming.. he crippled us.

18. jim1961

jim1961 Member

In a sense, I agree here. Les does want to stay relevant while rebuilding. So did Drayton. But the similarity ends there.

A big part of Draytons undoing was desperation signings (Lee 6 yrs/ 100M) and unwillingness to trade vets while they still had value. Arguably, we dont have any hampering bad contracts and the botched Pau trade tells us that Les has no problem letting go vets.

19. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

Who in the world do you think we can get without trading the core of rocket guys? Everybody's expendable (Lowry's the least expendable) on the rockets.

20. srrono

srrono Member