1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

Any thoughts on Luc Mbah a Moute as a Rocket

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by srrono, Dec 3, 2011.

1. srrono

srrono Member

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/bask...rns-into-a-valuable-NBA-free-agent/51558020/1

Like many players, restricted free-agent forward Luc Richard Mbah a Moute didn't pay much attention to advanced statistics.

"I never have looked at the stats, not beyond looking at a stat sheet after the game," Mbah a Moute said. "I don't try to get caught up in the numbers."

But shown advanced stats that spotlight his contribution to the Milwaukee Bucks, Mbah a Moute had a new perspective.

"The advanced stats … were surprising to some extent on how impactful I was defensively," Mbah a Moute said.

That could differentiate him in free agency, as sound financial roster decisions will be at a premium for team executives under the new collective bargaining agreement.

According to Synergy Sports, one of the premier statistical analysis tools used by NBA teams, Mbah a Moute:

•Allowed fewer points per play than Kobe Bryant, LeBron James, Tony Allen and Andre Iguodala.

•Forced a higher number of turnovers while guarding an opponent in isolation than any of those four players.

•Helped the Bucks give up fewer points with him on the court than the previous season (and Milwaukee's defensive efficiency improved in each of his three seasons).

•Is one of 13 players with at least 400 rebounds, 60 steals and 25 blocks in each of the last three seasons.

•Averaged 6.7 points and 5.3 rebounds last season but got the most rebounds per 40 minutes of any small forward and had the fifth-most free throws per field goal attempted among small forwards (behind such stalwarts as James and Boston Celtics forward Paul Pierce).

Finding productive players for a value could emerge as one of the hallmarks of the new CBA.

"Free agency can be a little stressful because you never know what the situation is going to be," Mbah a Moute said of his status with the Bucks. " But it's also exciting to be in this position. I've put in the work and have a future where teams can use my service."

His work ethic and ability to guard multiple positions make Mbah a Moute more attractive. The Bucks extended a one-year, roughly $1.1 million qualifying offer before the lockout.

Other teams can make offers once free agency opens Dec. 9. If Mbah a Moute signs another team's offer sheet, the Bucks have three days to match that offer and retain him. It was seven days under the previous CBA.

The Bucks, who missed the playoffs after an injury-plagued season, want to keep him.

"We appreciate Luc and what he's done for us as an organization and what he stands for," Bucks General Manager John Hammond told news reporters Thursday. "We have every intention of bringing Luc back."

Mbah a Moute worked on his outside jump shot during the lockout, and he feels he can help spread the court off his range and score more.

He also visited his native Cameroon and hosted his second basketball camp for some of the top teens in the country. Five were selected to represent Cameroon at the NBA's Basketball Without Borders, a global development program focused on sport and social change.

Center Landry Nnoko, who participated in the camp in 2010, attends Montverde (Fla.) Academy and recently signed a letter of intent at Clemson.

Mbah a Moute said seven players from Cameroon are attending high schools and playing basketball in the USA.

"Who knows, one of them may have a chance to become a professional basketball player," he said. "As a player representing Cameroon, it was an obligation to help grow the sport and give kids a chance to get an education through sports."

1 person likes this.
  2. Rivers

Rivers Member

He is one of the best defenders in the league

1 person likes this.
  3. Da Wink

Da Wink Member

hmm..he can be Chuck's replacement

4. valorita

valorita Member

One dimensional player role player.

Not what we need.

5. VBG

VBG Member

He's definitely one of the best perimeter defenders in the league. And he's extremely smart. I remember he gave scouting reports of all the top players and how to guard them.

1 person likes this.
  6. srrono

srrono Member

I was thinking as a def stopper replacement for Battier as a defender as needed and would be way cheaper and younger than Battier. The Bucks extended a one-year, roughly $1.1 million qualifying offer before the lockout. Which Moute declined.

7. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

Love him, he's a tweener but one of the best perimeter defenders around and could be our Shane Battier replacement. Just think about the defense when these three are on the floor together: Mbah a Moute, Patterson and Chuck.

Its tough to see Milwaukee letting him go though, he's a keeper.

1 person likes this.
  8. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

When I first heard of him I couldn't stop repeating his last name in my head.

9. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Would love him.

10. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

He an African prince. We need some glamour royalty like Luc and Middleton.

11. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

I would love to have him on the team. Im pretty sure he can guard the 3.

1 person likes this.
  12. Htown's2kFinest

He's Shane Battier without a shot...

13. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Would love him, but (1) he's a restricted free agent, and Milwaukee will match any reasonable offer in a heartbeat, and (2) therefore, if he's not playing in Milwaukee next season, it means that he's probably being way overpaid.

Better not to waste any time on him (unless it's part of a trade with Milwaukee).

14. ascaptjack

ascaptjack Member

Other than Bogut, he's one of the few Bucks who's actually one of my favorite players.

15. J.R.

J.R. Member

Can we trade Terrence Williams for him? :p

16. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

Mbah a Moute is a guy I'd love to have on my team, but right now the Rockets have much bigger needs and even though one could argue that we need some help at the 3, with Bud, Morris, T-Will and Parsons it would seem like a waste to bring in another SF.

I feel the same way about Carl Landry by the way, though I wouldn't mind sign&trading for either guy, if we were to land Nene or Chandler.

Also what Bima said.

17. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

Mbah a Moute is one of the most underrated defenders in the league. Adding him could definitely help upgrade the defense.

Now... with that being said, the guy is a total non-factor on offense. And when I say "total" I mean it. The other team, literally, won't even have to pay attention to him. I mean, the guy isn't even that good of a finisher around the rim.

That only hurts our team's offense.

So he's really not worth it at all.

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Pass, we don't need him, we got tons of players already that are decent at that position.

DD

19. HamJam

HamJam Contributing Member

Just like Chuck, I would love to have Mbah a Moute on any team that I root for -- however, this roster would have to undergo some serious changes to open up a space for him.

That said, it needs to undergo some changes, as we are all aware. Middling players like Buddhinger need to be packaged together for an impact player at any position; not just for the obvious reason of upgrading talent per se, but, just as importantly, in order to open up roster slots for contributors and role players to be brought in.

If such a change to the roster could happen, Mbah a Moute would be at the top of my list of role players to bring in.

Defense wins championships, and those of you who criticize guys like Battier and Hayes so often need to remember that.

20. BreakYoSelfFool

Is Bogut really one of your favorite players? Are you Australian? Are we talking top 25 favorite, top 50 favorite or what?