1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston Cougars Football Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Chopped, Aug 29, 2011.

1. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

Agreed! If UH was beating these teams by five touchdowns and proving they were head-and-shoulders better than what their schedule offered...then there should be some complaining. But as it is, they're barely winning games against teams ranked well outside the top 25. In order to start climbing...they need to start making statements against teams they should be easily beating.

And...if they end up undefeated but only barely winning each game (Georgia State game excluded), I have no problem at all with them being left out of the BCS discussion. Their wins so far have not proven that they are worth of remotely entering those talks. The competition is about to get more difficult...so let's see if the defense can finally rise to the occasion...and let's see the offense decide that it wants to show up for the first quarter.

2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Who else is going to the ECU game?

6PM kick, it'll be broadcast on CBSSN again.

3. AFS

AFS Member

I'm planning on being there. Should be a good game. Also, I'm glad the SMU game is gonna be a home game.

4. PhiSlammaJamma

On October 18th last 2011, there were 9 undefeated teams left. Oregon, Oklahoma, Auburn, LSU, TCU, Michigan St., Oklahoma State, Missouri and Utah

It's only October 3rd and there are 15 right now. So pretty much it seems we are on track for a similar season as last year. Which means only a couple of undefeated teams at best.

If we do go undefeated we should easily make the BCS and get pushed into the spotlight. I think there will be some teams upset at how fast we roll to the top, Plus we'll still have the conference USA championship which will be another proving ground.

5. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

I have a bad feeling about this one.

Teams like ECU and UCF are basically tailor made to beat us.

We're pretty much going to have to play flawless to win.

6. droopy421

droopy421 Member

I feel better about this game than last. At least we get to play at robertson this time. I cringe at every road game.

7. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

I fear the dreaded Sun Bowl roadie too, but ECU is 4-1 against us at Robertson since joining CUSA :(

They're a good program with a fundamentally solid football team year-in and year-out. It also doesn't help that their HC is Tech's former DC, who is probably more familiar with our scheme than I would like.

8. droopy421

droopy421 Member

Their defense is better... our best bet is to never let them grab the lead. Since we saw how LT and UTEP burned through our D. :( Let's just hope Case, Hayes and Sims are in beast mode all day.

9. Major Malcontent

Major Malcontent Contributing Member

We are 9.5 point favorites against the best 1-3 team in College Football. I think this game is going to be very close (not that I would ever bet against my Coogs).

They dominated South Carolina for long stretches and played pretty even with Virginia Tech.

10. AFS

AFS Member

UH is ranked now. We have a BYE this week, and then we don't have a hard game until SMU. Marshall, Rice and UAB should all be easy wins. Hopefully.

11. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

^^^^^

2 people like this.
  13. Xenon

Xenon Contributing Member

If a 1 loss SMU team and 0 loss UH team meet Nov 19th they will both be ranked going into that game. That is a huge IF of course.

14. AFS

AFS Member

Their next three weeks are pretty tough with UCF, Southern Miss, and Tulsa but if they can get through those games, theres a reasonable chance they go undefeated till us as well. That'd be a hell of a showdown if it happened.

15. droopy421

droopy421 Member

16. Chopped

Chopped Member

So what is this crap I hear about the big12? any truth to the rumors? the coog forum seems to be deleting and locking stuff up left and right. also, I'm assuming some stadium announcement Wednesday?

17. ascaptjack

ascaptjack Member

richardjustice Richard Justice
    Do you think UH could end up replacing Mizzou in the Big 12? I think the odds have gone from 1% to 30% in last week. Not good, but better.

18. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Sounds about right. Mizzou's defection will open the door some, but we're going to have to beat out Cinci for that final spot. Assuming BYU has decided to stay indy. I think the amount of pressure on the Big 12 to take Houston over Cinci would be sizable. The best thing we have going for us is we're available for 2012, whereas UL, WVU, and Cinci are not. Hopefully the stadium rumor is true, as well. Not that Reliant won't do just fine in 2012 during construction.

19. candlegreen

candlegreen Contributing Member

Hope to see some of you at the game tomorrow!! Go COOGS!

20. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Case Keenum is such an awesome QB. I hope my stomach will one day be strong enough to withstand the Canadian Football League games he will be owning. :grin:

Eat 'em up!