1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[video]The Clutch City Game

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Jul 17, 2011.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

<iframe width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/TsHAL37ikx0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

#1 tinman, Jul 17, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2011
    3 people like this.
  2. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

awesome!

Maxwell picks a fight with A.C. Green at 23:00 for some reason.

1 person likes this.
  3. krouchchocolate

damn some dirty ass **** at the end of the game by Danny. lol

4. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Alright tinman, you are historically accurate

:grin:

5. GlenRice

GlenRice Member

53:50 Someone on the Rockets threw a punch at a fan.

6. Shroopy2

Otis Thorpe had crazy big strong hands. Snagging offensive rebounds out of the hair with one hand like he's grabbing a grapefruit

autostarts at 28:55, no stop
    <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TsHAL37ikx0&start=1735&end=1743"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TsHAL37ikx0&start=1735&end=1743" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

1 person likes this.
  7. tinman

Supporting Member

The beginning of the mid range master Sam Cassell
    here: (auto started-on cassell)
    <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TsHAL37ikx0&start=3108"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TsHAL37ikx0&start=3108" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

8. conquistador#11

can you imagine today's divas,sorry, superstars taking an otis thorpe screen? They would be rolling around on the floor for 15 minutes.

This video is the best thing I've watched in a couple of months. Thanks for posting!

9. tinman

Supporting Member

OT was the man. Don't forget the toughness of OT plus the craftiness of Robert Horry.
    Damn that team was legendary!

check out this Clutch City teamwork! This is not the dump it to Dream only offense that the cliff notes say. This was a true team that did it all.
    (autostart Horry)
    <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TsHAL37ikx0&start=947"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TsHAL37ikx0&start=947" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

10. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Honestly it's easy to forget how dominant that team was. How they played in the moment and how they didn't back down. God, this depresses me about our current Rockets.. They're good, just not great...

11. Shroopy2

I could do "autostart" on this all night

At 33:50 Bob Neal the announcer says the phrase "Kiss of Death". An early sign in Game 3 of what was to happen later in that series - The Clutch City Kiss of Death.

Honestly not even embellishing, the main thing I noticed in this was how much the team system generated offense. How they were group of professional players who knew their roles and accentuated the things they did well without making players overextend themselves. (Isnt that what Phil Jackson's system is heralded for?) Unique team chemistry the Rockets didnt have again for quite a while.

The FOLLOWING year became more dump-it-to Hakeem offense because they lost 2 of the starters from before. But here you could see the polish of a team that's played together for a while.

1 person likes this.
  12. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

thanks for giving me something fun to do

13. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

heard it too. loved it

14. infinitidoug

infinitidoug Member

Gotta love Kenny Smith's enthusiasm! It's contagious

15. tinman

Supporting Member

This is why people need to understand the story of Clutch City.
    When the Rockets were down 0-2, they were labeled "Choke City", that changed after this game.

Mad Max was the one who lit the fire that could not be stopped.

Clutch, Clutchfans was named after what this team did.

16. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

This game makes me think how good Maxwell really was. Unfortunately he was never made the #1 option and didn't have it in him to take his game to the 'max'. I strongly believe he had the potential to be second to MJ in the 90s era. His defense was good but could've been great, his first was so quick but he almost never used it and his athleticism was off the charts but he never opted to take full advantage of it. Sad Max

17. HeWhoIsLunchbox

HeWhoIsLunchbox Contributing Member

Danny Ainge is a piece of ****.

18. RealistFan

RealistFan Member

HEY tinman, thanks for posting this. I never knew the entire series was on youtube.

I was actually recently watching G1 of the 1995 series against the Suns. It had that infamous Drexler ejection courtesy of O'Donnell. Here's the link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dP9HIpO9vyw&playnext=1&list=PLF2E937CE2CF51536

I love the frontcourt of the 1994 team. Horry-OT-Dream formed a formidable defensive frontline and we contained Barkley really well that series. He was a monster on the boards in the 1995 series, though because we didn't have a PF since OT was traded and Herrerra went down.