1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

BREAKING: Yao Ming is Retiring

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Im Just Sayin, Jul 8, 2011.

1. solid

solid Contributing Member

Why no quote from Yao? Yao has said nothing. Hmmm. :confused:

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

July 20th press conference in Shanghai. We assume to announce his retirement.

WojYahooNBA Adrian Wojnarowski
    Yao Ming has called a news conference for July 20 in his hometown of Shanghai, his agent, Bill Duffy says. Y! Sports reports he will retire.

SpearsNBAYahoo Marc J. Spears
    BDA Sports says @YaoMing will hold a press conference in Shanghai July 20. Here is Y! Sports story on his retirement http://yhoo.it/n1ZnCG.

3. ericzhu88

ericzhu88 Member

So sad.

I found this BBS nine years ago when Yao Ming was drafted by Rockets.

So much sweet memory and heartbreak in this years.

And now it's an end.

But I will always be a Rockets and Yao fan. :(:(:(

4. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

A lot of good memories of Yao. Sad to see it end like this, but glad the team has some clarity now on the future.

5. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I wonder if the guy will stay retired or get the itch to play a year or two from now. Not that I don't believe the new, it's just that we've seen this before with other pro-athletes from Allen Houston to Michael Jordan.

A couple of things that may help Yao stay retired for good are (1) owning a team and otherwise being busy with a new life in business, and (2) his tendency to get fat when not training-- too much work to lose 50 lbs to make a comeback attempt-- guys who stay skinny have more of a risk of thinking they can get back in in "game shape" 2 or 3 years after retirement.

6. J.R.

J.R. Member

-Link-

7. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

The NBA just became that much worse because of this.

8. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

I don't remember Yao getting fat.

As far as staying retired. I don't see him playing in the NBA anymore, but I wonder if he may be tempted to play for the Chinese team in the next Olympics?

9. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Like many here, I have been advocating for Yao's retirement. There are somethings that are just not meant to be.

Still, this is indeed a sad day for all Rockets fans. :(

10. J.R.

J.R. Member

11. Yun

Yun Member

It is an ending of Yao a NBA player but it is a continuation of Yao in other roles in his life.

Wish him the best in whatever he moves on.

"Thank you Yao!"

12. TXRoxBBall

TXRoxBBall Member

He is a true ambassador for his country and the game of basketball. As a life long Rockets fan I am glad he played in Houston to follow in the footsteps of our other great centers.

13. Hydhypedplaya

Hydhypedplaya Member

Thank god. The guy might have played his heart out for the team, but it was just never meant to be. So many potential trades not even explored b/c Yao was a "cash cow"... The rockets could have been much better off if we didn't hold on to Yao for so long. Now he retires with nothing to show for it, but his hard work and loyalty (which I don't care about b/c it didn't bring about any results)

Let the flaming begin...

1 person likes this.
  14. FV Santiago

FV Santiago Member

Sad to see him go, he is a great ambassador for basketball.

So moving on, is there a discussion of how this impacts our salary cap situation?

15. wgray

wgray Member

well it is sad but it is time thank you yao you are a rocket for life

16. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

Some part of me doesn't believe, or doesn't want to believe this. I guess it's for the best.

I wonder what the Rockets slogan will be this season.

17. ban

ban Member

Good luck Yao with life after the NBA, wish you well.

If only you had stayed healthy, you'd have retired a champion and a truly all time great..

Back to lurking for me..

18. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

attention w****, nobody cares

19. Mav-Hater

Mav-Hater Contributing Member

I truly hope all the Chinese Rockets fans who came to bec0me fans of the Rockets because of Yao Ming continue to be Rockets fans in the future. Keep bleeding Rockets Red just like we have our whole lives. I enjoy seeing the Chinese fan base on the board. I remember when you guys first came to the board, you could tell you were Yao fans with not much NBA knowledge. Over the years, I have seen you guys grow in knowledge and make better and better posts. No Yao :( Keep on posting and stick around. Your adopted team and your adopted board still want you. Let's keep the Rockets China's Team because Yao will always be a Rocket in our hearts!!!

20. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I hope Yao can heal up and and at least play one more Olympics for China.