1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Picture of Aaron Gray

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Jun 27, 2011.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Aaron Gray just declined his option and is becoming a free agent. He was pretty effective in limited minutes for the Hornets (only played 13 mpg a game in 41 games, but averaged 8.7 pts and 11.6 rebounds, 0.8 blks and, well, 6.5 fouls per 36 minutes). He's a good rebounder, interior space eater, and is effective in guarding jumbo-sized bigs. Certainly seems more useful than the average big man Morey has found by dumpster diving in free agency(hello David Andersen) or in the reclamation market (looking at you, Hasheem Thabeet).

On top of this, Aaron Gray has played with Chris Paul (photo evidence below) and can only help us in recruiting CP.

[​IMG]

Whenever free agency starts, Morey, McHale or one of their minions need to show up at his door with a decent offer (say, $2.5 mil a year for 4 years?), an Ipad and some BBQ ribs. This team needs Aaron Gray.

2. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

NO !

No more backups. We need quality players.

3. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Worth a shot.

4. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Aaron Gray would probably back-up Chuck Hayes, but he's certainly better than Jordan Hill and Hasheem Thabeet. I'd take him on the Rockets.

5. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

From what I've seen, he's good enough to be our starting center considering what we have. Not that he's necessarily better than Chuck, just better suited for the position.

I'd take him and ship Hill/Thabeet out in a heartbeat. We would still need to find a long-term solution at center, but this guy can be a legitimate backup if not solid starter.

6. cookies18

cookies18 Member

NO WAY JOSE!!!
    I would rather have Fesenko.
    At least post one center that is worth signing such as pzybilla or kwane brown who are also free agents.

7. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Betty White could beat Aaron Gray in a vertical jump contest but I guess that doesn't matter when you're a seven footer.

Bringing him in is an interesting thought. I'd group him in the same category as the Fesenko types (which should be at the top of nobody's list), but like CH was alluding too -- he's big and serviceable. Conditioning and lack of speed are definite limitations but for an 8-10th man to bring off of the bench and provide six fouls you could do a lot worse.

8. RedDragon01

RedDragon01 Member

The other day I thought about this. I love his rebounding numbers, but without having seen him in much playing time, .8 blocks per 36 minutes scares me away from him.

I think at this point, anyone the FO is looking to add to our bloated roster should display strong rim protection abilities.

9. binvegas

binvegas Contributing Member

I think I'm the only one that isn't ready to give up on Thabeet and Hill. Both were very raw coming out of College with limited experience. They're projects

10. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I think of Gray's possible role as being similar to Jerome James back in Seattle-- only good for about 16 mpg, whether he was a starter or coming off the bench. Probably not in good enough shape to play more minutes than that without getting gassed. In any case, I certainly think he can play more than the minutes that the Hornets gave him.

By the way, he's better than Fesenko. For example, Gray averaged 11.6 rebs per 36 minutes, Fesenko only averaged 8.7.

11. GlenRice

GlenRice Member

Is he the white guy?

12. AFS

AFS Member

We already have no space on our roster. Why take more people?

13. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Great, more injuries...

14. van chief

van chief Member

pick him up and drop Thabeet

15. blackistan

blackistan Member

you really think aaron gray will help recruit cp3 haha good luck with that

16. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

[​IMG]

ERRA ERRA ERRA

8 people like this.
  17. Rockzilla

Rockzilla Member

Worth a shot. He never had a chance to start and show what he can really do. He would be a good 1-2 punch teaming up with another big.

18. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

We need size, period. Can't be picky, looking for a "starter quality" C. There aren't many of those around that we can afford.

19. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Agreed. I just meant I group them in the same category regarding my overall inclination to acquire them. Would either player help? Yep. I just tend to set my standards a little higher (which means I'm likely in store for major disappointment).

20. van chief

van chief Member

Look he is not going to help us get Paul, or anybody else, but he is a big we can target and actually get.

Is he a starter, no not really but he could start for us to contend the jump ball if nothing else.

Almost every team that went anywhere in the playoffs had multiple 7 footers of varied quality.

His numbers career stats are bla, but he only averages ~ 11min a game. 3.5 rebounds, 3.6 points. With us that would hopefully go to 20 min, and potentially 7 and 7..... maybe, sure thats not going to change the world but we need size

If you look at him, he runs the floor without significant issues and he doesnt have stick arms and legs