1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Before the NBA playoffs resume Friday night, we're talking Rockets, including individual team awards. We're live NOW!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

Correction: Rockets will GET a second round pick next year, not give up one

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jun 24, 2011.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

We know he hasn't been that good already. Otherwise, he wouldn't have been traded for the crap we gave them.

The only difference was that he was more injured than first thought. The difference between an more injured bust and a less injured bust it not a first rounder from what we expect to be a bad team (even a couple years from now). A high 2nd rounder is fair enough.

And after all, the Rockets DO want the trade to go through so they can get D-Mo.
    In the end, everyone got what they wanted.

1 person likes this.
  2. cardpire

cardpire Member

exactly. it's a fair trade, certainly not a laugher in our favor. morey was high on donatas, and made a move to get him.

i'm all for some daryl fawning, but one must pick and choose their spots to drool. this wasn't the pwning that some are making it out to be.

3. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Fair enough.

I guess what ruffled my feathers was the perception that maybe Minny was hoping to pull one over on us. Hoping the doctors wouldnt discover his true condition. I said perception, because I dont know if this was premeditated or orchestrated deliberately. But Minny certainly knew their own doctors reports on their own players. That much is certain, making the rest of it somewhat believable.

But let me ask you this, if we had not discovered this now. Not gotten the 2nd rounder now. And say late next season it were discovered. Wouldnt you be furious? Would a 2nd rounder sound like good compensation then? Im not so sure.

4. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Eh...almost. I think the trade would have still favored the Rockets without the current players (only picks/cash involved), since I assume the Rockets didn't want to miss out on Montiejunas. With the Miller-to-Flynn upgrade, it makes it a, as you say, "no-brainer."

I think you are writing off Jonny Flynn wayyyy too prematurely. I'm admittedly not a huge fan of his, but I honestly believe he's much better than he's been allowed to show thus far in The injury shouldn't keep him off the floor next year.

Guys, I'll have more on this in a blog entry for the site.

cardpire, you're going to love the title. ;)

5. TheGoldenGreek

Morey used his witchcraft on Kahn here...

Kahn is probably very confused

[​IMG]

6. cardpire

cardpire Member

Well, if all the rumors are true of Kahn then Morey relentlessly trying to trade him and being unable to do so, I'd pretty much be joining all 30 teams in writing him off way to prematurely.

Whether he's actually lousy or solid (I think we can stop at solid for now), it still seems nearly impossible for him to have any significant impact with us this season. And that's assuming he's healthy. If I'm betting, my money goes on him not being a rocket in the 2012 season. And as I said, if I could have one of Miller or Flynn on this team for only the upcoming season, it's Miller in a heartbeat.

None of that really matters though. I'm always in favor of a GM being high on somebody and going after him, whether he overpays or underpays. This trade just seems pretty even to me.

And please don't make the blog title "Drooling over Daryl". :)

7. meh

meh Contributing Member

Morey's pwning are always done with 20/20 hindsight.

San Antonio was very happy with a trade where they unloaded $3 mil in dead salary, got under the luxury tax, while giving up a player they wanted in the first place. Both sides got what they wanted at the time.

Memphis wanted to unload its 3rd string PG. Orlando wanted a veteran PG. Everyone got what they wanted at the time.

Sacramento wanted to unload salary and make Evans their Stevie Franchise. So they figured to trade one of the top scorers in the NBA for a backup tweener. Both sides got what they wanted at the time.

Yes, ALL NBA trades are "everyone get what they want" trades. That's why they happen. But Morey still got over on these teams.

1 person likes this.
  8. KyleLowryPG

KyleLowryPG Member

Who else was in front of Kyle Lowry besides Conley in Memphis? I think some of the recent unsuccessful attempts by Daryl to nab a Franchise has resonated into some questions about his willingness to make a trade that will show true immediate impact. Let's not be prisoners of the moment.

9. meh

meh Contributing Member

You know what? I checked and he was the backup. For some reason I remember people saying he was 3rd stringer when the trade happened. I know there were friction between him and the Memphis management, so he might've been demoted to 3rd string on certain issues prior to the trade. But I am wrong. From minutes played standpoint, he was the backup.

10. mrjohn

mrjohn Member

What happened to the draft pick stash thread? Can that be updated to reflect this deal?

11. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Since this was bumped, I'll chime in and say this was a very nice deal by Morey. I'm getting a good vibe about Montiejunas and think he might end up being the steal of this draft for the Rocks, not Morris, who I like a lot.