1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Correction: Rockets will GET a second round pick next year, not give up one

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jun 24, 2011.

1. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Minnesota did not get raped. They got an extra 1st round pick for moving down 3 spots in the draft and a second round pick.

2. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

So if we miss the playoffs:Its going to be our own 2012 Lottery Pick , 2012 NY 1st round Pick(top 5 protected) and Minny's 2012 2nd round pick (If b/t 31-55)

Three picks in a loaded draft ... I like it :cool:

3. finsraider

finsraider Member

Morey completely dominated every facet of this trade. With Brad for Jonny, he cut salary and picked up a player with potential/trade piece. Then he moves up 3 and takes the Wolves 2012 (most likely high) 2nd round draft pick in a year with deep talent, while only giving up a heavily protected pick at least 2 years out in the future.

4. rockets06

rockets06 Member

That would be ideal but I got a feeling that we're going to make the playoffs as well as the Knicks so a 1st in the 15-20 range and a 2nd in the range 31-55 range trying to trade up as usual.

5. rockets06

rockets06 Member

6. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I edited my post breaking down the final details.

1) I forgot to mention the cash Houston gives up.

2) I'm told it's two separate trades, but comes out to one at the league office. I couldn't get comfortable with it after a few more questions, so I'm going to say it's one. No trade exceptions were used since MIN is under the cap.

7. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Two picks for sure next year with Knicks pick and Timberwolves 2nd rounder. Actually the rockets could be drafting in almost the same order next draft if they don't make the playoffs (late lottery), knicks have one of the better teams in East (low 20s) and Timberwolves just be the Timberwolves (mid to late 30s in 2nd round).

8. finsraider

finsraider Member

The Mavs, Spurs, Lakers, Grizzlies, Thunder, and Blazers are all essentially guarenteed spots next year. We are competeing for the final two slots with the Suns, Hornets, Nuggets and Jazz. I'd say it's 50/50 with no changes in our lineup. If we add a legit center, our chances go up to 75-80%.

9. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

You mean, they got an extra heavily protected1st round pick which might turn into a 2nd eventually for moving down 3 spots and for a likely high 2nd rounder. And for taking Brad Miller and his larger salary (this yr) and giving up a young player who still has a shot in Flynn (who more importantly makes less money)

Not raped, but I don't think they won this deal..

10. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

But a heavily protected 1st round pick that would turn into a 2nd rounder. They can keep the 2nd rounder.

11. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

It's got a potential first round pick from the Grizzlies that won't even be available till 2013 and it's lottery protected.

I say say maybe not rape but night time foddeling.

12. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

I agree with the positive posters on this draft. Morey did good. Just because I am not always happy with Moreys moves does not mean I will criticize everything he does. He did some real good things in this draft.

13. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Actually, if the Rockets miss the playoff AND finish with a bottom-10 record, then they'll get FOUR good picks:

(1) Their own lottery pick
    (2) NYK's first rounder (top-5 protected)
    (3) MIN's second rounder (only protected 56-60)
    (4) Their own second rounder (it's top-40 protected from DET obligation)

That said, I'd rather just have two of those picks: #6 (NYK) and #31 (MIN). ;)

14. psingh34

psingh34 Member

i dont think its a guarentee that memphis makes the playoffs, they were only slightly better than us so I dont think its a sure thing. I also would not put blazers in as a sure thing, i think those two teams are going to be in legit competition with teams like rockets, runs, nuggets.

15. psingh34

psingh34 Member

I think what might be funny is that the pick that minnasota got might end up being a lower pick than the pick the rockets are going to get.

16. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

See my explanation here: http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showpost.php?p=6198479&postcount=98

Thankfully, it's a moot point, since the Rockets never gave up any "portion" of that second rounder to MIN.

1 person likes this.
  17. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  18. RocketForever

RocketForever Contributing Member

Some people may prefer to call it non-consensual intercourse.

One way or the other, T-wolves got pwned in this deal.

19. Seven

Seven Contributing Member

Why is it black?

20. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Any guesses as to what 'something' could be that happened in Minnesota to alter a trade overnight?