1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bismack Biyombo

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by aicedo, Apr 7, 2011.

Tags:
  1. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

did you not see Chuck play last year?

His offensive game has grown leaps and bounds. A triple double threat:cool:

2. _RTM_

_RTM_ Member

Is this Joey Dorsey 2.0 thread still alive?

3. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

This is about what I think of Biyombo except he's more athletic and might have a brain between his ears.

4. Russjr2

Russjr2 Contributing Member

I see what you are saying. I just wish he had more video to see against better competition. I would feel better about my judgement. We have seen so many foreign guys that are beasts against comp over there and then get in the league and struggle mightily because now they don't have that athletic advantage over everyone. But hey, i'm sure Morey and Co are doing their due dilligence and if they take him at 14 I will ride with it and hope for the best. I still feel like we need some offense down there to balance out Martin and our shooters.

FSU had a guy last year that was shot blocker and this guy just reminds me of him. Maybe that is scaring me. It's always a crap shoot with these foreign guys that have only played over there for a short period of time.

5. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

Comparison of Joey Dorsey and Bismack Biyombo (all stats acquired from draftexpress at time of draft*)

JD - age: 24*
    BB - age: 18

JD - without shoes: 6' 6.25" with shoes: 6' 7.25"
    BB - without shoes: 6' 8.31" with shoes: 6' 9.5"

JD - standing reach: 8' 11"
    BB - standing reach: 9' 3.42"

JD - wingspan: 7' 1.75"
    BB - wingspan: 7' 6.16"

Saying he is Dorsey 2.0 is just as inane as saying he is Ibaka 2.0.

6. _RTM_

_RTM_ Member

[​IMG]

7. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

If Joey Dorsey had a brain between his ears he would be one of the premier defensive players in the league.

8. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

LOL @ the Africa map.

You really can't trust an African birth certificate for this "kid".

and who knows if this kid has BBIQ? who knows if this kid even loves the game?

Frankly, there are too many holes in his game and background and not worth risking the 14th pick on him.

9. crash5179

I agree that you cant trust an african birth certificate but you can trust xrays of his growth plates in his wrists. I am more suspicius about Greg Oden and LeQuit James ages than I am about Bismack Biyombo.

10. Russjr2

Russjr2 Contributing Member

I don't think any of the teams will request a x-ray before drafting him. haha But I get what you mean.

I don't think we take him at 14. If he falls to 23 maybe... Def in the 2nd round.

11. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

It was already done by his agent 2 years ago in Spain.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Bismack-Biyombo-5902/#ixzz1PwU5C2q7

There are still rumors floating around about Ibaka's age as well.

1 person likes this.
  12. OHMSS

OHMSS Rookie

This argument is flawed. First of all, the ACB (the second best league in Europe) is far better than the best NCAA Division I conferences. The ACB is far, far better than the D-League is. The D-League would be something like the 15-25 league in Europe, just for proper perspective.

However, you are taking that playing in the ACB and being an interest of NBA teams means he played great in ACB. This is wrong.

Once again, he was a backup power forward, on a mediocre team in the ACB. And the team's other power forward, Leonardo Mainoldi was definitely a better player than him. That is why Biyombo logged 17 minutes a game. Because he was not as good as Mainoldi.

Mainoldis about 25, and the rumors in Spain are that Biyombo's real age is 24. Where are all the threads about getting Mainoldi? Just because the NBA is interested in a player from Europe does NOT mean they were any good in Europe. Rubio was far and away one of the worst players in Euroleague and the NBA is all over his jock.

Let me put it like this, people keep bragging about Biyombo leading the ACB in blocks per game........and these BS sites like draftexpress.com and nbadraft.net keep bragging it up too.

The reality and truth of the matter is that if he played in an actual big Spanish club, he would never have even gotten playing time. That is how distorted, twisted, and manipulated all the NBA marketing is whenever it comes to NBA draft picks from Europe.

Biyombo is a physical and athletic freak for sure, regardless of age. But he is also a project that could end up spending 2 years in D-League, just as well as he could be a good NBA player.

He was the second best power forward on his own team, which is was a very mediocre European club. For example, not a Euroleague material, nor level team in any way.

This is what people can't differintiate. The automatic assumption from every NBA fan is that if the NBA is thinking about drafting a guy from a European league, that he must be a star and doing great there. The truth is that Biyombo was at most, an average player by European standards - and I am being very generous in giving him average, because the truth is he would not have even sen the court at all if he played in any big Euroleague team.

In any big Euroleague team he would have been a # 5-6 rotation big man. So yes, the ACB is a much higher level than college basketball. But Biyombo did nothing at all impressive in Europe. He was at best an average player. NBA fans just can't grasp that the players being drafted from Europe range from awful by European standards, to at a high, above average/good. That is it.

The best ones you could get currently, like Vesely (above average) and Bogdanovic (good) that is it. But every NBA fan is always convinced that any guy even being considered by the NBA is some superstar in Europe. People commenting here on Biyombo make it sound like he was some dominant player in Europe, when he was at best an average player.

So, what you are talking about is a guy that is 18-24 (depending on conflicting reports) that was an average (at best) player in a league that is a lot better than the D-League.

13. OHMSS

OHMSS Rookie

Again, Biyombo was at best, an average player by European standards. He would not have logged playing time on any big Euroleague club.

14. crash5179

No need for the teams to request it, it was done on him when he was reportedly 16 and the doctor said that he was 17 or 18 at the very oldest.

15. krocket

krocket Contributing Member

look guys. IRC Mutumbo (s) was never an offensive center, but it did not keep him from being an all-star and Defensive MVP. We sure liked him!!

16. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

You go on and on about how these prospects did not even start for their team, or how horrible they are, and denigrate every poster's intellect on this board, but fail to see your own misguided bias.

There is a reason players like Biyombo and Rubio have futures in the NBA and others like Spazzoulis and Mainoldis are not invited to the big party.

Can you guess why that is?

17. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

Bla bla bla, Bismack is going to be a stud.

Everyone is always crying on this board "Oh Morey why can't you get us a defensive-minded center?!" "Bouhouhouhou Morey never gets us a center!";

And now all of the sudden we have MAYBE (and thats a huge MAYBE because IMO Bismack will be off the board by #14) a shot at drafting exactly what we need, and people again are crying for new reasons "Bouhouhou too much risk", "Bouhouhou his age is not correct, everyone from Africa has a flawed birth certificate", well get this, you don't get anything without a little risk.
    You can't just get Dwight Howard by snapping your fingers. You HAVE to take RISK's if you want to gain something.
    People are always pissed about Morey drafting "safely", well its about time we take a risk on a player and either get lucky or not.

I'd rather pass on 3 Patrick Patterson's and end up with 1 Dwight Howard.

Oh and BTW, the kid is probably more literate than 50% of this board...

18. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

Just get the kid to Houston and watch him give all he has on the court. He is a lion.

19. bread and budin

Ok, everyone needs to stop comparing the Euro leagues (or any other league) to the NBA. In Europe, bigs are shooters, not post guys. Biyombo probably wasn't very effective (thus a bench role) because he is chasing down jump shooters to try to block a jump shot. Granted, he probably needs to learn how to defend in general (read- dont jump on pump fakes, learn who can shoot midrange and who drives and what kind of post moves exist in order to defend/block + box out), but the reason people, including scouts that are paid to do this stuff, are high on this guy is because his game MIGHT Translate well to the NBA. Not because what he was in the Euros.

On another note, apparently he loves the game of basketball.

Just to clarify, I don't like him due to his complete lack of offense. If he is really such a dominant rebounder (include put backs here) and shot blocker / paint presence, teams will just put him on the line a-la hack a shaq/wallace neglecting any closing minutes. Also, all you have to say is Javale McGee - Tall, Long, Mega Athlete, Young - but will never seriously contribute to any real winning teams.

Do you think if Boston had McGee instead of slow, no-jump Perkins they would have won a title??

20. OHMSS

OHMSS Rookie

Biyombo and Rubio will never be 1/5th as good as Spanoulis is.

The NBA has taken a lot of trash players from Europe. Guys that are not up to the standards of top European basketball.

The "big party" is all marketing and hype, and that is what you do not seem to understand.